Throne of darkness a novel by Douglas…

Throne of darkness a novel (edition 2015)

by Douglas Nicholas

Series: Something Red (3)

"Perfect for fans of Game of Thrones, this novel from acclaimed author Douglas Nicholas continues the gripping dark fantasy series that Kirkus Reviews describes as "a more profound Harry Potter for adults." It's 1215 in northwest England--the eve of the signing of the Magna Carta--and mystical Irish queen Maeve and her unlikely band of warriors must protect the region from a chilling fate. Word of a threat reaches the Northern barons: King John has plotted to import an African sorcerer and his sinister clan of blacksmiths, whose unearthly powers may spell destruction for the entire kingdom. Along with her lover, Jack, her gifted niece, Nemain, and Nemain's newlywed husband, Hob (whose hidden talents will soon be revealed), Maeve must overcome a supernatural threat unlike any she's seen before. With his characteristic blend of historical adventure and intoxicating mythological elements, Nicholas once again "goes for the throat...with brilliant writing and whip-smart plotting" (New York Times bestselling author Jonathan Maberry). This is a richly woven tale that will leave you hungry for more"--… (more)
Member:bobf32
Title:Throne of darkness a novel
Authors:Douglas Nicholas
Info:New York : Emily Bestler Books/Atria, 2015.

Throne of Darkness: A Novel by Douglas Nicholas

This is the third book in Nicholas's medieval fantasy series (the first being Something Red and The Wicked). It was grand to be back in Maeve's, Jack's, Nemain's, and Hob's world. I did feel this book to have less tension than the previous two outings, which was a bit disappointing, but not by much. There was little presence of Sieur Jehan and Sir Balthasar, which probably fueled that bit of disappointment. All in all, a very good read, and I was more than happy to dissolve into the 13th century for a bit. ( )
  CaineBooks | Apr 15, 2015 |
Are you a Game of Thrones fan? Boy have I got a series for you! When I finished reading Something Red, Book #1 in the 13th century mythological historical series by Douglas Nicholas, it gave me the chills and had me checking all of my closets for foul magical beasts. Somehow I missed Book #2, The Wicked, last year; however, I’ve just ordered it so I’m going to quickly correct that oversight and I’ll let you know what I think. That brings us to Book #3, Throne of Darkness, which we’re reviewing today.

As my friends will tell you, I’m normally a little OCD when it comes to reading series in order but each of these books is self-contained enough that I don’t think it’s a problem with this series. In fact, even if you haven’t read Something Red, I don’t think you’ll have a problem getting into Throne of Darkness as a stand-alone. Read the rest of my review at http://popcornreads.com/?p=8277. ( )
  PopcornReads | Apr 1, 2015 |

Belongs to Series

Douglas Nicholas is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,202,131 books! | Top bar: Always visible