To Hold the Bridge: Tales from the Old Kingdom and Beyond

by Garth Nix

Series: Old Kingdom (contains novella "To Hold the Bridge")

An entertaining short-story collection from bestselling fantasy author Garth Nix, including an Old Kingdom novella, a short story set in the same world as Shade's Children, and another story set in the world of A Confusion of Princes. Garth Nix is renowned for his legendary fantasy works, but To Hold the Bridge showcases his versatility as the collection offers nineteen short stories from every genre of literature including science fiction, paranormal, realistic fiction, mystery, and adventure. Whether writing about vampires, detectives, ancient spirits, or odd jobs, Garth Nix's ability to pull his readers into new worlds is extraordinary.… (more)

Gave up on page 100. Really struggled through the Hellboy fan fiction and after that couldn't find a story I liked. I was mostly interested in more Old Kingdom stories but there doesn't seem to be many. The other short stories are just too bland to read ( )
  pgarri16 | Mar 5, 2022 |
I read this as a judge for the 2015 Aurealis Awards. This review is my personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

I loved it. I didn't want to put it down-- I had to steal it back from my Eldest child, who picked it up while I took a necessary break to eat. I've read a bit of Nix's work, and enjoyed it, but not the worlds that feature here. The grouping by theme was interesting, but I felt that it meant that some of the weaker stories were grouped together. If there was an intro that added useful context, I didn't notice it.

The first story was fantastic, with the worldbuilding and the character and the story all beautifully written. The collection manages a startling cohesion, given the disparity of the stories -- Nix has a strong writing style, so it holds together nicely from this viewpoint. All the stories are good, although not all of them meet the standard of the opening story, which means that a couple felt a bit flat. ( )
  fred_mouse | Dec 21, 2021 |
I quite enjoy Garth Nix's short stories, though I've only ever picked up a collection because it contained one set in his Old Kingdom. I was hoping for a story featuring characters we already know from this series, but this was not at all related and could quite stand on its own, even if one isn't familiar with the other works set in this realm. As with most short story collections, I liked some more than others ("A Handful of Ashes" was my favorite; I'd like more in this world) but all of them were at least a bit enjoyable. I don't remember any standing out as 'bad.' ( )
  EmScape | Mar 23, 2021 |
Obviously I was going to like at least one of the stories in this collection (big fan of Garth Nix's Old Kingdom stories), but until I actually read the entire collection I was a bit worried that a lot of the stories would be misses. The collection is divided into sections that focus on specific themes such as alien landscapes, coming of age, and action/adventure - many of which are only of passing interest to me - but thankfully Nix's themes were simply that: themes rather than specific topics. All of the stories were fantasy based, and he dabbled in a variety of different styles (with a few characters from his novels and borrowing from others), which made the collection read quite well throughout. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
Read this for the old kingdom story which was excellent, if terribly short, and caused me to have a cry. Pretty effective for such a short piece.
The rest was pleasant, if varied. ( )
  mjhunt | Jan 22, 2021 |
To Anna, Edward, and Thomas, and all my family and friends, and also to all the editors and anthologists who commissioned these stories in the first place, with my thanks for the impetus!
Please do not combine with the novella "To Hold The Bridge".

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,213,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible