dismiss

The Dark Forest by Liu Cixin

The Dark Forest (2008)

by Liu Cixin

Series: Remembrance of Earth's Past (2)

"With the scope of Dune and the rousing action of Independence Day, this near-future trilogy is the first chance for English-speaking readers to experience this multple-award-winning phenemonenon from China's most beloved science fiction author. In Dark Forest, Earth is reeling from the revelation of a coming alien invasion--in just four centuries' time. The aliens' human collaborators may have been defeated, but the presence of the sophons, the subatomic particles that allow Trisolaris instant access to all human information, means that Earth's defense plans are totally exposed to the enemy. Only the human mind remains a secret. This is the motivation for the Wallfacer Project, a daring plan that grants four men enormous resources to design secret strategies, hidden through deceit and misdirection from Earth and Trisolaris alike. Three of the Wallfacers are influential statesmen and scientists, but the fourth is a total unknown. Luo Ji, an unambitious Chinese astronomer and sociologist, is baffled by his new status. All he knows is that he's the one Wallfacer that Trisolaris wants dead"--… (more)
Recently added bysparhomenko, BradenAndrews, ggoldby, private library, InfornographicMoto, aabtzu, Mike_O, nwebster

English (52)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (56)
not as fast moving as the 3 body problem, but still very good and thought provoking. the 2nd half of the book is much better.
  aabtzu | May 18, 2020 |
A fantastic read - it gets off to a bit of a slow start, but when it gets going the plot is fantastic and relentless. ( )
  Stephen.Whitehead | Apr 16, 2020 |
A most fascinating near future sci-fi epic, similar to Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. The main character, Luo Ji, is a researcher who is one of four peopled tapped by the UN to develop plans to defeat the aliens introduced in The Three Body Problem. Unlike the other three, he is not a person of international renown and this is why the aliens want him dead.

This book is full of interesting introspection into the human condition under harsh circumstances and perfect for anyone that likes though-provoking science fiction. ( )
1 vote GigaClon | Mar 23, 2020 |
i got pretty tired by the third middle ( )
  mvayngrib | Mar 22, 2020 |
I started this review a couple of times already. My initial attempts would have spoiled this book in one way or another. So I'll just keep it brief.

The book was great. It fixed all the issues I had with the first one and took everything to an entirely new level. I'm considering it one of the best SciFi books I read. It's not perfect, but it deserves 5 stars.

Word of advice: try not to know anything about it ahead of reading it! The premise the plot is built upon is one of the best narrative vehicles I've been privy to in a fiction novel so far. For this I have to tip my metaphorical hat to Mr. Liu. ( )
  parzivalTheVirtual | Mar 22, 2020 |

Liu CixinAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Betz, KarinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mark BremerNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martiniere, StephanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martinsen, JoelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ochlan, P. J.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The brown ant had already forgotten its home.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,208,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible