So You've Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson

So You've Been Publicly Shamed (2015)

by Jon Ronson

English (46)  German (2)  All languages (48)
This book gives a good overview over the way online culture gravitates towards outrage and shaming. We get to meet some of the people impacted by this, and industries surrounding it, as well as contextualisation, both historical and with the justice system. While there is little actionable advice here – I appreciated it. It read like a very long, thorough reportage and I enjoyed reading it. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
i really like this book. jon ronson is a funny and engaging writer, and this book gave me lots to think about--especially about how i engage in public shamings. good stuff ( )
  MegScrungus | Aug 7, 2018 |
A very readable book, especially during the early chapters, but it loses focus after the midpoint as Ronson starts to free associate connections and casts his net wider for more fodder. Paradoxically, the best parts of the book are the ones where he recounts someone's shame and my schadenfreude kicks in. So is he addressing the trend toward public shaming or cashing in on it? Alas, Ronson fails to really bring the whole thing to any meaningful conclusion which tips the seesaw toward exploitation.

I hope the shamed people he names can take some comfort from the fact that I had either had not heard of them at all or had nearly completely forgotten their moment in the spotlight. Time and the fleeting attention of your fellow man are probably the best cures for any outward shame. Inner shame is probably a harder demon to shake. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
I feel like I'm not fully qualified to review or rate this, because I really only read the first half of the book and then skimmed the rest, but I will say that this book was extremely interesting. While I did feel sometimes like it was going nowhere and not working towards a certain point (just a bunch of stories compiled together) I really did enjoy it.

As someone who is only starting to read non-fiction I will certainly have to figure out a review system for this since it's so much different than reading fiction! ( )
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
This is a light book, it's not scientific research, I had heard a lot of bad things about this book and I think it was from people that didn't get that (though of course you can just simply not like it or have other complaints), I would have been interested in something a little more substantial but still the interviews, the life stories, were great and interesting, I do think I learned a lot about human experience by reading this book.

There is no exact conclusion in the book, and honestly there is no conclusion in my mind neither, it's such a wide topic, would a society with no shamings at all be better? Would it even be possible? I don't think so, the problem mostly is that people get too carried away online, nobody tries to understand, it dehumanises people, nobody thinks about the consequences of what they say online whether they are victim or attacker.

But what if nobody "shamed" anyone? Would that be a solution? Or people (at least some) would start taking that as permission to do whatever? Shaming is good in some grade, at certain extent, in certain situations, like the drunken driver on the book that was ordered by Judge Poe to wear a sign saying "I drive drunk and killed two persons" (or something like that) in front of cafes, he said that saved his life, he realised through that experience that he had to change and that he could, but was it the shame that did it? Or was the kind words of some passerbys? Would the effect had been the same if he had received abuse?

When people feel that they are forever tainted it's difficult for them to muster the energy to make a change, and in many cases they just simply become convinced that change is impossible, that nothing good can come from them, forever tainted.

Even though shame can be good sometimes I still prefer honesty and kindness, I would like to say shame should be totally eradicated, the truth is I don't like the idea of shaming people, I don't like making people feel bad, but what if I'm wrong and it does work in some point? Would the kindness of strangers per se been enough to make that man realise his potential? If he wasn't ashamed of his actions it probably wouldn't have worked, at least not as well.

Shame can destroy a person, and in most of the cases of the book the reaction was way overboard, but it's also letting out the messages that being offensive to others is not okay, that we have to mind our words more, problem is it isn't working, no matter how much the public lashes out to the shamed it isn't having much effect, people keep commenting stupid things online and keep paying the consequences, how can we change that? How can we stop the violence AND make people more considerate at the same time? Isn't that much violence just another symptom of the fact that people just don't consider other people human online? So how can we change that? Will it occur naturally with time?

There are of course other cases, like Lehrar, he did something wrong, he can't keep being s journalist after what he did, making facts up is in news is not a crime that can be ignored, he should have been fined for that, a few months of jail wouldn't be extreme neither, but he didn't deserve to have his life destroyed like that, he should be able to have a second chance, at least in another profession, he shouldn't be made to feel that way, no human being deserves that, the brutal amount of violent that people can spew through a screen is horrifying, why aren't they ashamed of themselves? ( )
  Rose98 | Jun 22, 2018 |
"[T]he choice of subject for “So You’ve Been Publicly Shamed” turns out to be gutsy and smart. Without losing any of the clever agility that makes his books so winning, he has taken on truly consequential material and risen to the challenge."
added by lquilter | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Mar 30, 2015)

This terrifying study of social media fury is another superb product from brand Ronson, humorous journalist and moralist par excellence
added by Nickelini | editThe Guardian, Steven Poole (Mar 5, 2015)

For Elaine
This story begins in early January 2012 when I noticed that another Jon Ronson had started posting on Twitter.
The snowflake never needs to feel responsible for the avalanche.

"This is the perfect time for a modern-day Scarlet Letter--a radically empathetic book about public shaming, and about shaming as a form of social control. It has become such a big part of our lives it has begun to feel weird and empty when there isn't anyone to be furious about. Whole careers are being ruined by one mistake. A transgression is revealed. Our collective outrage at it has the force of a hurricane. Then we all quickly forget about it and move on to the next one, and it doesn't cross our minds to wonder if the shamed person is okay or in ruins. What's it doing to them? What's it doing to us?"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,977,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible