Designing Data-Intensive Applications: The Big Ideas Behind Reliable,… (2017)

by Martin Kleppmann

Data is at the center of many challenges in system design today. Difficult issues need to be figured out, such as scalability, consistency, reliability, efficiency, and maintainability. In addition, we have an overwhelming variety of tools, including relational databases, NoSQL datastores, stream or batch processors, and message brokers. What are the right choices for your application? How do you make sense of all these buzzwords? In this practical and comprehensive guide, author Martin Kleppmann helps you navigate this diverse landscape by examining the pros and cons of various technologies for processing and storing data. Software keeps changing, but the fundamental principles remain the same. With this book, software engineers and architects will learn how to apply those ideas in practice, and how to make full use of data in modern applications. Peer under the hood of the systems you already use, and learn how to use and operate them more effectively Make informed decisions by identifying the strengths and weaknesses of different tools Navigate the trade-offs around consistency, scalability, fault tolerance, and complexity Understand the distributed systems research upon which modern databases are built Peek behind the scenes of major online services, and learn from their architectures… (more)

This book is dense. It's taken me THREE YEARS to get through it, but I'm so glad I did. Kleppmann builds up a complete picture of handling data in software applications, starting from basic principles and ending with a tight and considered summary of where things are headed, including a thoughtful review of the ethical considerations around data capture and analysis. This is one I'm sure to find myself referring back to over and over again, and recommending to everyone I know interested in data and technology. ( )
  krtierney | May 12, 2021 |
Quite possibly the best technical book I've ever read. If you are a data infrastructure engineer, you've got to read this thing. ( )
  rsanek | Dec 30, 2020 |
A fantastic book that should be mandatory reading for all software developers. It covers databases and distributed system in a detailed and accessible way. Very clear writing, good diagrams and illustrations, and no fluff.
I have written a summary of all the chapters on my blog: https://henrikwarne.com/2019/07/27/book-review-designing-data-intensive-applicat... ( )
  Henrik_Warne | Dec 13, 2020 |
All in all this contains a lot of awesome information about designing, building, and maintaining distributed software systems. Highly recommend to anyone interested in learning more about how big software systems work and are built, and really to anyone planning on working with any kind of data systems or services. My one criticism is the repeated use of the pattern "see $TOPIC_NAME on $PAGE_NUMBER" which appears constantly throughout the book. If you collected all instances of this pattern I'm sure it would make up between 10 and 15 pages of text. Other than that it's a beauty. ( )
  yazzy12 | May 17, 2020 |
Great non-technical review of the fundamentals. This book effectively highlights some of the major design challenges in modern distributed systems along with a catalog of modern solutions to these challenges. ( )
  albertgoldfain | Oct 19, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,507,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible