The Forgotten Girls (Suburban Murder, #1) by…

The Forgotten Girls (Suburban Murder, #1) (edition 2014)

by Alexa Steele

Series: Suburban Murder (1)

In an elite suburb of New York City, girls are dying. That doesn't happen in Greenvale, with its immaculate lawns, exclusive yacht clubs and multi-million dollar mansions. But behind its perfect fa?de, its trimmed hedges and luxury cars, a darkness lies. Girls, dependent on Adderall, outmaneuver each other to get into top colleges, while the mothers' need to live vicariously only makes it worse. Bella DeFranco is one of the Bronx's top SVU detectives. At only 37, she disarms everyone with her stunning good looks, yet she is as tough as most men-and a lot smarter, too. Yet when is summoned to Greenvale, she finds herself getting lost in a case that even she can't comprehend. She stumbles into a land of secrets, a place where husbands hide their pasts from their wives, where friends are not what they seem, and where no one wants to know too much. As she digs deeper into layers of suburban dysfunction, she comes to learn that, behind all the fake smiles, there is a subtle violence--rivaling even her crime-ridden streets of the Bronx. With a killer on the loose, time running out, and a new partner who never recovered from his washed-up alcoholic days, the odds are stacked against Bella. She is determined, though, to save these girls, whatever the cost. Yet as she gets close, the depth of psychosis she discovers shocks even her .… (more)
Member:jasperline
Title:The Forgotten Girls (Suburban Murder, #1)
Authors:Alexa Steele
Info:Amazon Digital Services, Kindle Edition, 206 pages
Tags:to-read

Work Information

The Forgotten Girls by Alexa Steele

Holy schmoly, I enjoyed this book immensely!

With the basis of a murder mystery and crime solving, I loved the characters of this story - the two detectives on the case AND the suspects. And as a whodunnit, the writer did a great job to mislead and keep the end a surprise.

Great writing and a great read! ( )
  AnnPratley | Nov 19, 2020 |
When I started reading this book, I thought it an interesting premise. The link of a recent murder to an older one allowed the author to give some town background and to work in a red herring or two. At least it should have. As a new writer, this didn't work as planned. In fact, more symptoms of a new writer: a lack of emotional word descriptions. Characters in this book get "annoyed" or "frustrated" more than anything else. It's like there's happy, frustrated, mad. No other real emotional descriptions. ...

Something else I spotted. I saw the stereotypical characters that people assume are in these small rich towns, the treatment of the ones with less money, Even the hard as nails female SVU detective who's seen and done it all with regard to crime, is single and married to her work. The drunk over the hill cop called back to help another with this big important case. Writers are supposed to enhance the base trope, not stick to it.

There were sections that could just go away or be summarized down to one or two paragraphs as they are just research information dumps placed in the middle of the story. Slowed things down. Ugh.

Maybe I read too many mysteries, but it felt like the author hung a lantern on the final suspect. It looked too obvious. The twist of her background, not enough early clues, too much last half reveals. Just poor plotting.

The second in the series MIGHT be worth a gander, to see if the writer improves. But I'm not rushing out to buy it. ( )
  gilroy | Mar 5, 2017 |
Very good read ( )
  Grandy | Apr 24, 2016 |
This is a disturbing book whose roots start at an insane asylum where sexual assault was commonplace. Two detectives who don't really want to be teamed up with each other are sent to untangle a web of murder. In the process, they come to have grudging respect for each other and find a way to work together.

I found this book hard to get into in the beginning chapters. The plot didn't really interest me much, and I wasn't crazy about the characters either. I did finally start to care about the detectives--but it was at least halfway through the book.

I was also distracted by a number of typographical errors that indicate the author did not have the book proofread.

I might read a second book in the series to see if the (nonromantic) chemistry between the two detectives continues in the way it did in the latter half of this book. If so, then I think it could become a good series. If future books start out the way this one did, I would not read on. ( )
1 vote JenniferRobb | Jan 17, 2016 |
I quite enjoyed this book and wanted to finish it. I liked the female detective, Bella, strong but occasionally emotionally fragile. The male detective was described as one of the best before alcohol took over his life, but he seemed to respond to some (not all) situations as if he was inexperienced . It was as if the author was trying to show just how smart Bella was. I did like Ryan's monologue about female the psychopath. I thought the life path of the killer was a little far fetched but enjoyed reading it nonetheless. Money doesn't buy happiness is the moral running through this book. ( )
1 vote scot2 | Mar 3, 2015 |

Belongs to Series

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,752,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible