Benny Uncovers a Mystery (1976)

by Gertrude Chandler Warner

Series: The Alden Family Mysteries (19), Boxcar Children Mysteries (Book 19), Boxcar Children (19)

Two brothers take summer jobs at a department store where a series of peculiar events brings them under suspicion.

And so it ends--at least the original 19 books written by [a:Gertrude Chandler Warner|10665|Gertrude Chandler Warner|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1206731348p2/10665.jpg], which is where I'll be stopping for the time being.

And it's a rather strange story. Benny gets it in his head that he absolutely needs a summer job--so he ropes Henry into going with him... and the both of them end up working at the same place? With a mystery in the works to boot? Sure. It works.

The mystery this time around was a reverse shoplifter and mysterious woman hanging around--who was much less mysterious if you're expecting it, but my children at least were surprised. And it was worth reading at least to see the idea that sometimes people don't like them because of their family name. When it's not entirely uncommon to have Grandfather buy their way into or out of a mystery, it was something worth seeing.

It was kind of a bummer to barely get any of Violet and Jessie, but so it goes. I do wonder if Warner knew this would be her last one. So it goes.

Onwards to a new series for the children! Perhaps one day we'll return and try some of the later Boxcar Children mysteries. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
Benny uncovers a mystery by Gertrude Chandler Warner
Two brothers take jobs at the local department store. Lots of things go missing and some new things just appear out of nowhere.
Benny goes out of his way with deliveries to please the customers. Boys implemnt ideas on how to catch whoever is doing things at the store.
  jbarr5 | Nov 28, 2018 |
I have not yet read this book.
  LynneQuan | Sep 29, 2017 |
I was a little annoyed by the fact that Jesse and Violet were pretty much left out of the story. Benny and Henry go to work for a department store and a few things seem out of place. Benny has to put clues together to discover where a mysterious collection of lockets came from and who the strange shopper is that comes in every day. While he does this, he and Henry have to avoid getting Mr. Fogg, the first floor manager, mad at them. ( )
  t1bclasslibrary | Dec 21, 2013 |
  BRCSBooks | Sep 26, 2012 |

Gertrude Chandler Warnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cunningham, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,211,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible