Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Everything, Everything (original 2015; edition 2017)

by Nicola Yoon (Author)

2,5371773,845 (3.95)1 / 44
"The story of a teenage girl who's literally allergic to the outside world. When a new family moves in next door, she begins a complicated romance that challenges everything she's ever known. The narrative unfolds via vignettes, diary entries, texts, charts, lists, illustrations, and more"--
Member:reyonic
Title:Everything, Everything
Authors:Nicola Yoon (Author)
Info:Ember (2017), Edition: Reprint, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon (2015)

English (174)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (177)
I really liked this story. I love how artfully Yoon shows how our relationships shape and change us. I think everyone needs a Carla in their life - someone who sees them, knows them, loves them, and challenges them. Carla had a small but necessary role in the story and it is precisely this knack for showing the importance of all characters that has me swooning over Yoon’s writing.

I also really appreciate how Yoon reveals tiny details about the characters that show how well thought-out they are - think Maddy drawing tiny astronauts on her architectural pieces. Yoon creates very real characters who come more alive as you get to know them. ( )
  NikiKropf | Feb 18, 2020 |

NikiKropf | Feb 18, 2020 |
This is the second book I've read by this author, and I am really loving her. I enjoy these youthful stories filled with hope. She encapsulates these characters so well. It makes the reader understand how each character feels. I hope she writes much much more and soon! ( )
  bookswithmom | Dec 18, 2019 |
Madeline has never been outside. She has a disease that makes her super allergic to everything, so she has very limited contact with people, doesn't leave the house that has special filters to purify the air, and stays away from things that can trigger her immune system and make her super sick. Living this way with her books, loving mother, and caretaker Carla has always been enough. But then a new family moves next door with a cute boy about Madeline's age - and everything in her life is overturned.

I connected with Madeline from the first with her love of books and words and games with her mom. She's a fun, intelligent character. When her relationship with Olly, the boy next door, began I was a little bewildered by her sneaking around her mom and impetuous behavior. But I hadn't quite seen the end coming, and it's done in a believable way that made me smile because it was worth the ride. The story is mostly first-person narration from Maddy's point of view, but we also get IMs and emails, entries in a "dictionary" and pithy reviews from Maddy, as well as drawings and clever visuals of the words. The author's husband, David Yoon, illustrated. The narrator puts a lot of emotion into Maddy's statements - and I don't know whether it was her choice or the production's in how she describes/reads the visuals, but it's excellently done so that you can picture them even when it's been read. They aren't skipped or short-changed at all. Recommended for fans of Eleanor & Park and other first love/romances for teens. ( )
  bell7 | Dec 17, 2019 |
3.00

This was a quick read. I breezed thru this in a day. Very well written. Unfortunately, it was pretty predictable as far as these types of contemporaries go.

*spoiler*

I figured out the twist ending as soon as Maddy went to Hawaii. I know a little about SCID and some things were just not adding up. It especially clicked with the story of her dad and brothers accident. I still think it was a great twist though, and Yoon's writing in this was excellent. I am also not a fan of the idea of a love interest becoming the major positive change that is needed in someone's life. This theme is prevalent in YA and I honestly feel it isn't a healthy seed to plant. I can't wait to read more from Yoon in the future, however. So while I can't give this 4 stars based on some major elements of the story, Yoon's ability to write and to hook me in brought it pretty close. ( )
  Jonez | Oct 24, 2019 |

Nicola Yoonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wiemken, SimoneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yoon, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Here is my secret. It’s quite simple:
One sees clearly only with the heart.
Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
To my husband, David Yoon, who showed me my heart.
And to my smart, beautiful daughter, Penny, who made it bigger.
I’ve read many more books than you.

Am Anfang war ein Traum. Und dann war Leben! Wenn ihr Leben ein Buch wäre, sagt Madeline, würde sich beim Rückwärtslesen nichts ändern: Heute ist genau wie gestern und morgen wird sein wie heute. Denn Madeline hat einen seltenen Immundefekt und ihr Leben lang nicht das Haus verlassen. Doch dann zieht nebenan der gut aussehende Olly ein - und Madeline weiß, sie will alles, das ganze große, echte, lebendige Leben! Und sie ist bereit, dafür alles zu riskieren. So hat man die Liebe noch nie gelesen! Das neue Lieblingsbuch für Töchter und ihre Mütter: Eine außergewöhnlich berührende Liebesgeschichte für Fans von Jojo Moyes und John Green mit besonderen Illustrationen, Skizzen, Notizen und E-Mails. (Verlagstext)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,573,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible