SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Everything, Everything (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Nicola Yoon (Author)

3,4122102,919 (3.93)1 / 53
"The story of a teenage girl who's literally allergic to the outside world. When a new family moves in next door, she begins a complicated romance that challenges everything she's ever known. The narrative unfolds via vignettes, diary entries, texts, charts, lists, illustrations, and more"--
Member:Amy0231
Title:Everything, Everything
Authors:Nicola Yoon (Author)
Info:Corgi Childrens (2015), Edition: 01, 320 pages

Work Information

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon (2015)

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson (beyondthefourthwall)
    beyondthefourthwall: Reaching out to new romance and new opportunities gradually unravels a familial deadlock situation cemented into place by grief, repression, and a multilayered mystery.

English (207)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (210)
Oh man! My feeeeels! ( )
  theEmmers | Nov 24, 2021 |
“Everything, Everything” is about a girl named Madeline Whittier, who is your average teenage girl who wants to be an average teenage girl living out in the world. However, she has a rare immunodeficiency called SCID, causing her to have to stay in her house. She was ok with all of this and had a set routine until the boy next door moved in and changed everything for her. ( )
  ekirchner14 | Nov 3, 2021 |
This book deserves all the hype it gets because Nicola Yoon created a unique story with lovable main characters. Maddy is witty and fearless which, with her disease, makes her brave. Olly is a boy with his own problems but his strength (both physical and mental) lead him in the right way.
Even though I thought the ending was predictable I enjoyed every bit of the story, especially the Hawaii bit. Now I really want to travel to Maui!

_Marcia_94_ | Sep 21, 2021 |
Why is there so much “sick kids romance” I’ve read. The Fault In Our Stars, Five Feet Apart, Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl and now this (not counting crappy movies like Clouds). And it plays just like a Sick Kids Romance.

I think I’m too old for this kind of book, for young love stories. I see them and I’m like everyone reacting to The Little Mermaid now. Like when she says "I'm sixteen years old, I'm not a child anymore." Like "Yes, you are young lady."

I’m forty. I’ve been married for fifteen years. I’m on antidepressants. I get no thrill from hand-holding anymore. A younger me might’ve.

Also, I knew the ending so all I saw was Room, where a monster is keeping her prisoner. Room and its concept terrifies me. I feel like the book should have explored that aspect more–the PTSD that comes from being trapped in a single place for all your life. Like Plato’s allegory of the cave. This book puts a syrupy family drama onto it that feels facetious. ( )
  theWallflower | Sep 20, 2021 |
Madeline Whittier is your typical teenager with teen angst, homework, and even some crushes, but there is one very big thing that separates her from the rest of the kids in her class: she can’t go outside, like ever. Madeline has SCID (Severe Combined Immunodeficiency) which prevents her from ever leaving her ‘bubble’ and joining the outside world. Her day-to-day life was a set routine as this point but all of that changed when Olly moved in next door. Now the yearn to go outside was even stronger as Madeline was falling for a stranger outside the glass. ( )
  MackChancey | Aug 3, 2021 |

Nicola Yoonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sousa, Natalie C.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiemken, SimoneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yoon, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Here is my secret. It’s quite simple:
One sees clearly only with the heart.
Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
To my husband, David Yoon, who showed me my heart.
And to my smart, beautiful daughter, Penny, who made it bigger.
I’ve read many more books than you.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,365,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible