dismiss

You Really Got Me

by Kelly. Erika

Series: Rock Star Romance (1)

642304,321 (3)None
From award-winning author Erika Kelly comes the first in a hot new series about a rock star on his way up-and the woman he wants to take all the way . . . Emmie Valencia has what it takes to be the music industry's hottest band manager. She just needs to prove it. Determined to discover a killer new band, Emmie is ready to make her move. First stop- Austin, Texas. As a sizzling-hot lead singer, Slater Vaughn has no trouble raising heart rates-but his band's been flat-lining for years. When Emmie, his bandmate's sister, crashes with them in exchange for some free management, her industry know-how lands them a spot in the biggest music festival in Texas. But it isn't just her business acumen that catches Slater's attention. Emmie is sexy and warm, and-for the first time in his life-he wants more. But as irresistible as Slater is, Emmie is done with musicians. In her experience, a man can't be a rock star and someone to trust with your heart-but Slater is determined to show her he's both.… (more)

I've made a huge mistake.

I have no excuses. Carmen's Review was RIGHT there with one star.

But instead, I read like 75% of this book. It starts out like this:

25 year old heroine thinks she's paid her dues in the music biz. Old legendary boss wants to keep her as assistant despite her 8 year tenure. She takes a break. Heads to Austin. Shacks down with elder brother, Derek.

Is immediately led around by her sexual desire and her recent break up of 3 years with rocker Alex, who obviously misses her despite cheating on her once he hit it big. WILL do anything to avoid falling for Slater. (Plot twist: he's the hero)

So, yeah, insert every rock star stereotype here. I don't really mind that, to be honest cause this is why I read rock star romance from time to time. I like tight jeans and sexy voices. I like sweaty long hair and stage presence. I have no-NONE-musical skillz. I like the fantasy.

I do not like one-dimensional characters. Poor Emmie. She's on her path to sexual discovery to be told how it is by Slater. Everyone loves a little mansplaining. (I actually don't think her plan to discover herself was a BAD one. It starts with you, after all. Slater thought it was silly and just told her if the chemistry was there it should work. And that she's hot enough.)

Apparently, also, Emmie is the house mom b/c none of these late 20 year olds can care for themselves by picking up milk or cheese. These were actual things in the book. Which means I really hope they make it big because obviously they might starve if they don't have a mother figure otherwise.

Emmie's still trying to bust into the music scene to sign the next big thing, and gets tips from SLATER to become successful. Man, this hero is a jack of all trades--especially that one where you tell women how to best do everything.

I kept reading. There was some more insecurity, but honestly where I can't anymore is the righteous rockstar. He's boring. She's boring, to the point she never talks with anyone or thinks about anything but Slater, so she sucks, she has a friend, but they only talk about the hot guys in the band....

I should've resorted to rereading (or moving on in the series) [b:Most Eligible Billionaire|40623339|Most Eligible Billionaire|Annika Martin|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1529846640s/40623339.jpg|58096568], or at the very least realized that 30% into the book there's never been an actual non-sex-related conversation. ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
Too much sex for me.

Even in the 1st half, before they have sex - they are thinking about it constantly. [hidden due to mature content]

Their relationship is based on overwhelming sexual chemistry and attraction.

Emmie is determined to prove to Irwin she deserves the promotion she wants. I got annoyed with her unwillingness to pursue other options. She won't go somewhere else - because she would have to take something entry level and she is not going backwards. Emmie honey, sometimes in life you reach a dead end. If you want to get unstuck you have to be will to turn around and go back. Moving back in the short term to get ahead in the long run, rather than staying stuck where you are. ( )
  nx74defiant | Jun 4, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,088,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible