The Mermaid's Sister by Carrie Anne Noble

The Mermaid's Sister (edition 2015)

by Carrie Anne Noble

Member:ohkamikaze
Title:The Mermaid's Sister
Authors:Carrie Anne Noble
Info:Skyscape, Kindle Edition, 237 pages
Collections:Read in 2012
Tags:to-read

The Mermaid's Sister by Carrie Anne Noble

This was OK. I thought it was well written but I found the story itself a bit dull. ( )
  infjsarah | Mar 11, 2018 |
I started this one as an Audible audiobook, and I have no complaints with the narration. However, about halfway through I found myself wanting to know how the books ends without wanting to have to finish listening to it. (I don't know why; as I said, I have no complaints with the narrator.) So I have now picked the book up in paper form from the library, and I'll finish reading it that way.

Update: I just can't get back into this book. I still don't know why. Going to mark this one as a DNF. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Jan 26, 2018 |
I was expecting a thrilling adventure. I got a sappy love story. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
A sweet tale about a girl whose sister (by adopted mother and not by blood) is a mermaid. Maren is growing scales and fins, and as much as Clara wishes for it to stop, it won't. Their almost brother, O'Neill is away with his caretaker, but longs to come and fix Maren so they can all live happily ever after. But fate delays his return, and a chance encounter at a traveling show brings the first tendrils of fear. Clara, O'Neill and Maren must set out alone if they hope to bring Maren to the ocean before she shrinks into nonexistence, but can Clara's heart handle watching O'Neill, the man she loves, care for Maren, the sister she dreads to lose? A chance encounter with the traveling show also complicates the matter.

This story is rather sweet in many ways. The bonds formed by the three are adorable, and the dynamics with Clara and Maren's jealousy over O'Neill keeps the story moving along. The text is well written, which is also enjoyable, and there are some neat little surprises that hint at the depth of magic in the world they inhabit.

There were a few things that I didn't enjoy, however. The first third of the book is wistful to the point of whining, and it drags on for far too long as they delay and delay and delay taking Maren to the ocean. The traveling show plays a rather sinister role in the whole thing, but I have to say that I found their characters less than compelling. The blind devotion to Dr. Phipps, head of the family, and the actions of his son, Jasper, just seemed to lack rationale and reason. Now, it could be due to the wonky potions they're selling, but for the whole family to be as they are was a bit off-putting. It takes the better part of the novel for Clara to get her butt into gear, and she's constantly comparing herself to her beautiful, main attraction sister. And there are several things that seem to hint at Clara having some sort of magical presence, herself, but the final revelation is less than satisfactory, given some of the evidence. And as Maren changes, Clara is constantly referring to her voice (even as it's almost gone) as sounding like some sort of ocean thing. Cute the first few times, but it got to be a bit too much. Thankfully, Maren falls silent, so that stops. :P

Despite all that, the short chapters and delightful descriptions keep this story moving along. If you can make it past the first half, the second half is much more enjoyable.

If you enjoy mermaid stories, you might also enjoy [b:Shearwater|28628533|Shearwater (Ocean Depths #1)|D.S. Murphy|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1453362444s/28628533.jpg|48806820] and [b:Skye's Lure: A Contemporary Fantasy Romance Mermaid eBook|31692319|Skye's Lure A Contemporary Fantasy Romance Mermaid eBook|Angel Leya|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1472349400s/31692319.jpg|47863623]. ( )
  AngeLeya | Oct 28, 2016 |
The Mermaid’s Sister by Carrie Anne Noble is a fairy tale about two girls who have been raised on a mountain top by a kindly wise woman. They live with her and their pet wyvern, Osbert. One girl, Maren, is starting to revert to her true self, a mermaid. Her sister, Clara, doesn’t want this to happen as she knows that Maren will not be able to stay on the mountain with her. Eventually she comes to realize that Maren belongs in the ocean so she and the fellow she loves, but who she thinks loves Maren, embark on a journey to take Maren to the ocean.

This journey was meant to be full of danger, magic, and adventure as they strive to get Maren to the ocean before she shrivels up and dies but unfortunately it fell rather flat. I wanted to love this book, but the writing was a little stilted and the story didn’t flow as smoothly as I would have liked.

The Mermaid’s Sister was a fairy story that lacked the whimsy that it so badly needed. Not horrible but a rather ho-hum read. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jun 15, 2016 |

Clara discovers that her sister is becoming a mermaid, and realizes that no mermaid can survive on land. Desperate to save her, she and her friend load the girl in a gypsy wagon and begin a journey to the sea. But no road is straight, and the trio encounters trouble around every bend. And always, Clara wonders if she herself will become a mermaid.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,758,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible