Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone

Every Last Word (edition 2017)

by Tamara Ireland Stone (Author)

"Consumed by a stream of dark thoughts and worries that she can't turn off, a girl coping with Purely-Obsessional OCD learns to accept herself and take control of her life through her experiences in poetry club"--
Member:reyonic
Title:Every Last Word
Authors:Tamara Ireland Stone (Author)
Info:Disney-Hyperion (2017), Edition: Reprint, 400 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone

Loved it. The portrayal of the mean girls was on, and the protagonist was flawed enough (talking about her personality, not her disability) to be real. Teen girls will devour this one. ( )
  kweber319 | May 13, 2019 |
I really need to learn not to read books like Every Last Word on the train ride to work. Or at the very least, I need to always have sunglasses to hide my weepy eyes. Tamara Ireland Stone has written an amazing book. It deals with OCD, with what real friendship is, and even with acceptance. Acceptance not just from the people around you, but from yourself. I found myself completely caught up in this book from the moment I finished the first page. I'll warn you now that when you pick this up, you should definitely have some tissues handy.

This is the story of Samantha McAllister. A pretty girl, with a loving family, a popular set of friends, and Purely-Obsessional OCD. I fell for Samantha pretty hard once I recognized her dilemma. How do you be the perfectly put together popular girl, and secretly harbor dark and obsessive thoughts? How do you keep a pristine outer shell, and hide the fact that every moment of every day is filled with keeping your true self hidden? I felt for her. Highschool is a tough enough place anyway. Dealing with all of this only makes it harder.

Now I have to admit that this is pretty much a fairy-tale in the way that it's told. While Every Last Word deals with a lot of tough topics, and does it quite well, there is an overall sense of sweetness to the whole thing. I ate it up, and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way, but I do think people will notice this. Sam's friends, despite being with her for a long time, don't know about her illness. Her family is perfect. Her therapist is perfect. Even the new friends, and the adorable boy, are all perfect. If you can set that aside, and focus on Sam as a growing character, you'll love this book. If you focus solely on those things, it might be a different experience.

Getting back to the overall story though, I happily lost myself in Sam's life. I watched as she grew to love herself. My eyes teared up as she found a set of friends who accepted her for who she was, and made her a stronger person. I may or may not have actually cried a bit when Sam poured her heart onto the page, in the form of poetry. Even the little romance here had me giddy. I very much enjoyed my time spent with Sam.

If you enjoy poetry, and the idea that it allows people to share things that are difficult for them otherwise, you'll love this book. If you enjoy stories where good things happen, and the protagonist learns a lot, you'll enjoy this book. I love all of those things, and so I really loved Every Last Word. I highly recommend it. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Okay as a fluffy-esque romance this is a great read! Writing is great, you have good relationships and character growth blah blah blah... as a book about an individual with a mental disorder... meh.

This is a pretty-upped version of life with a mental disorder, it seems only to pop up for Sam to deal with and then it's pushed into the background. I just didn't feel the weight that comes with living with a mental illness.

And I know not every individual with a diagnosis is the same I've worked with kids from all over the spectrum and with every diagnosis known to man and one thing that is the same is that these... differences don't come and go magically to further a story, they're always there and they don't suddenly become 'fixed' by the end of the book.

So as a fluffy YA romance yes... as a piece of literature to show how... hard life just is and can be to someone with a mental disorder then no. ( )
  NerdyHousewifey | Feb 1, 2019 |

When approaching a new book that deals with a character and mental illness, I'm always cautious. With people romanticizing mental illness around the world, it makes me extremely suspicious of books like this. However, I was still interested in reading this and was glad to be able to finally pick it up after having it spend months on my shelf. I had literally bought it from Barnes & Noble only to stick it on my shelf for a future read. It's a habit of mine, apparently.

Anyway. Every Last Word is a moving story that follows Sam, a teen that suffers from OCD and other conditions that can severely impact someone's everyday life. Ms. Stone does a wonderful job to shape every single character in this book; each one was well crafted -- even the minor characters, causing them all to be so believable.

The story itself was... (more via website) ( )
  VesperDreams | May 20, 2018 |
Samantha is not looking forward to the start of her junior year of high school. She enjoys the freedom of summer, particularly the freedom she finds on her summer swim team, where she can be “Sam” and can escape the scrutiny of her cadre of cool girl/mean girl friends, the Crazy Eights, who insist upon calling her Samantha. Then she meets Caroline, who is nothing like her popular friends and proves to be a trustworthy confidant. Sam entrusts Caroline with her biggest secret—she was diagnosed with Purely-Obsessional OCD at age 11. Caroline introduces Sam to Poet’s Corner, a secret poetry group that meets in a hidden room under the school auditorium. Poet’s Corner provides a space for Sam, who has always had an interest in words, to express herself in a new way and entertain the possibility of new friends and maybe a boyfriend. Yet, Sam can’t escape the fear that she will not be able to keep her worlds separate. Then again, does she want to? This book is a thoughtful exploration of identity, the power of writing as an act of self-expression, and coming to terms with not being “normal” in an unalterable way. Sam may see words as a means of constructing barriers and works hard to keep her secrets, but her story wears its heart on its sleeve. Fans of Stephanie Perkins and Sarah Dessen and those interested in poetry or in the act of writing as a creative one are likely to enjoy this book.

Rachel H. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,630,460 books! | Top bar: Always visible