Carry the Ocean (The Roosevelt, #1) by Heidi…

Carry the Ocean (The Roosevelt, #1)

by Heidi Cullinan

2015 (2) 2016 (2) 2018 (1) AR (1) autism (2) contemporary (2) depression (2) disabilities (2) disability (3) ebook (4) favorites (2) fiction (4) first time (1) gay (3) ILL (1) Kindle (3) lgbt (4) LGBTQ (3) m/m (9) mental illness (4) mm (5) read (4) read in 2015 (2) romance (12) Samhain Publishing (1) signed (2) started (1) to-read (15) Twinks (1) young adult (1)

Beautiful. Better reviews have been written than I could hope to write so I won't even try. Go read them. Then go read this book.

Revised one hour later to add:
So this scene has been playing over and over in my head, so much so I need to share this. This is Jeremey, having overcome a huge obstacle.
I was happy. I was amazing. I’d conquered my fear—or at least learned how to drive it a lot better. When the song ended, everyone clapped. Everyone took pictures of us, with us. We were the Blues Brothers. We were the cool kids. As the barista brought me over a free coffee, smiling as if I’d made her day, I realized I was always this cool. I’d just been waiting to figure it out.
That line, "...I realized I was always this cool. I'd just been waiting to figure it out." It plays in my head.

Someone once asked me why I would want to read a book when I could watch a movie with real action and excitement. They didn't get it when I said I could cast my book with anyone I wanted, the scenery would always be the most beautiful, the sounds pitch-perfect. Every book I read plays out in the most vivid Technicolor in my mind. Every. Single. Time. I open a book.

When I read that scene, I could see Jeremey's bright face; I could feel his joy. I could see the smiling Starbucks worker, I could hear the crowd in the background. The corners of my eyes tightened when I read that last line, my nose tingled, and I knew I had been given a gift. Cullinan gifted me with words that made a beautiful picture in my mind.

Why wouldn't I choose to read if this is my reward? ( )
  AddictedReader28 | Oct 19, 2017 |
Ridiculousness: 1
Annoying: 1
Audio: 10 (9h 6min)
To re-read: 10

"I don't know why my brain says such nasty things to me, why its so incredibly mean..my brain is a bully who never leave"

"You're suppose to call them cocks, not penises when it's about sex. I'm not sure why, but it appears to be the rule. But whatever you call them, they're sweaty"

One heart-wrenching quote and a funny one for balance!

Yup the best book written by Heidi Cullinan. So different from the other books. Focus on human nature and disability. The world from the eye of an autistic young man and his depressed boyfriend. ( )
  lulumiami | Sep 3, 2017 |
I didn't want to say goodbye to Emmet. I can't say enough good things about the book. It was so heart warming and left me feeling wonderful. I loved it! ( )
  tiffsaddictiontobook | Jul 18, 2017 |
The story involves two young men, Emmet and Jeremey, who meet and fall in love. No, the conflict isn't that they are gay. It is that Emmet is autistic and Jeremey has severe clinical depression and suffers debilitating anxiety attacks. Emmet has an admirable grasp of his own abilities and needs. Supported by his rather incredible parents and an aunt who is also on the autism spectrum, he has worked out various signals and coping mechanisms, is attending college, and is quite possibly better adjusted than a lot of so-called "normal" people, or people "on the mean" as he often refers to us. Jeremey, on the other hand, is afflicted by his parents...they don't understand why he doesn't just "get over it"; they have spent most of his young life trying to cure him, fix what's wrong, turn him into a normal person, rather than seeking useful treatment that could help him function better and lead a fulfilling life on his own terms. They insist he will go to college, although he does not want to do so and is clearly unequipped to handle that environment. The idea of treating him as an individual with emotional needs they should meet, let alone with unconditional love and respect, seems beyond their understanding. His meltdowns embarrass them and they blame him for behavior that is impossible for him to control. And then they find out he's gay, and wants to move out of the house to live with his boyfriend. AY! Dio mio!

There are fascinating insights here into what I believe is called neuro-diversity, and i applaud the author for educating me without throwing me out of the story. Watching Jeremey and Emmet learn to relate to one another as loving partners is one of the best things about this book. It's all a journey of exploration and discovery and --fair warning--it includes some graphic descriptions of their sexual life, which has both a clinical aspect due to Emmet's detailed internet research on "how to do it", and a very moving tenderness as they are both utterly unselfish in their approach. Carry the Ocean is first and foremost a romance, so all the elements are designed to bring about a happy ending. One or two situations seem to resolve a little too easily, but you WANT that HEA so much that you just don't care. ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Dec 6, 2015 |
Jeremey is a recent high school graduate who's been dealing with untreated and worsening clinical depression most of his life. His new neighbor, Emmet, has Autism Spectrum Disorder, majors in physics at university, and thinks Jeremey would make an excellent boyfriend. The book follows the two as they get to know one another, grow to understand how to relate to each other, and navigate treatment for Jeremey.

I want to wrap this book in a blanket and snuggle with it forever. The narrative alternates between Emmet's and Jeremey's points of view, so we get inside each of their heads and see how they experience the world. The attention to detail is exquisite, and the mental illness and neurodiversity representation rings all my bells. The story is also compelling, intense, and affecting. Recommended. ( )
  lycomayflower | Nov 2, 2015 |

Normal is just a setting on the dryer. High school graduate Jeremey Samson is looking forward to burying his head under the covers and sleeping until it's time to leave for college. Then a tornado named Emmet Washington enters his life. The young man with a double major in math and computer science is handsome, forward, wicked smart, interested in dating Jeremey--and he has autism. But Jeremey doesn't judge him for that. He's too busy judging himself, as are his parents, who don't believe in things like clinical depression. When Jeremey's untreated illness reaches a critical breaking point, Emmet is the white knight who rescues him and brings him along as a roommate to The Roosevelt, a quirky new assisted living facility. As Jeremey and Emmet find their feet at The Roosevelt, they begin to believe they can be loved for the men they are beyond their disabilities. But before they can trust enough to fall head over heels, they must trust their own convictions that friendship is a healing force and love can overcome any obstacle.… (more)

Heidi Cullinan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,068,197 books! | Top bar: Always visible