Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella

Can You Keep a Secret? (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Sophie Kinsella

Emma Corrigan's young, sweet, and has a long list of secrets--the kind of innocent secrets everyone has--one of which is that she is afraid of flying. Coming back from a thoroughly ruinous sales trip to Glasgow, she is seized by mortal terror when the plane she is on encounters some air turbulence, and ends up spilling her guts to the handsome American sitting next to her. He gets to hear that she sleeps beneath a Barbie bedspread, that she fibbed to get her current job, and that she has never been able to satisfactorily find her G-spot. Then, the plane lands... and rather than disappearing into anonymity, the American turns up in her life again. He's the CEO of her company, and remembers her quite well...… (more)
Member:esterwellens
Title:Can You Keep a Secret?
Authors:Sophie Kinsella
Info:Dell (2005), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback

Work Information

Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella (2003)

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: If you like chick lit that features humorous (even embarrassing) office blunders and romantic bumbles...
    Snap Happy by Fiona Walker (HazardMain)
    The Boy Next Door by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    Queen of Babble by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    Boy Meets Girl by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    She'll Take It by Mary Carter (Norabee)
    Norabee: Totally different storyline but has the same quit wit and energy in the plot and character development - highly recommended!

English (165)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (171)
Blog Review: https://trishadoeseverythingbutstudy2.wordpress.com/2021/01/31/january-2021-revi...

This was my second Sophie Kinsella, and it has reaffirmed my decision to check out everything written by her. Well almost everything.

Though I really enjoyed this, it didn't give me the peak rom-com enjoyment I was looking for. Not that it was bad, but just not as good as I had expected, or wanted this to be.

The story was funny awkward and romantic though I was rather leaning away from the love interest by the end. I don't know, the constant ignoring was getting to me.

And I was slightly irritated with our protagonist as well, because I don't know why, exactly, but she seemed to turn really whiny. But not exactly. I don't know. There was just something irritating about her.

And I loved our best friend, but I hated the third roommate. At first she was comedy relief, but then it was just going too far. When your friend tells you to leave it alone, you leave it alone.

The secrets were a really amazingly entertaining part of this, but that way he just spilled them on tv? I don't care how in love he was with her, but that was kinda unforgivable.

On the whole, a wonderful rom-com, perfectly dripping with awkwardness, but I felt it went on a little too long and just wasn't as good as I had expected. ( )
  trisha_tomy | Jun 1, 2021 |
I was a bit hesitant to continue after reading the beginning, but after the first few chapters I was totally sucked in! Once again, Sophie Kinsella blows me away with a book, leaving me completely and utterly satisfied after reading, yet craving more, more, more! I'm so glad I stumbled upon this book! ( )
  Lulu0917 | May 19, 2021 |
I've been wanting to read a Sophie Kinsella, knowing she is so popular. This started out amusingly, but the heroine lost me. I didn't always follow her motives and it seemed too silly especially towards the end, with an overly rushed last minute happy ending. I'm sure there must be better novels by this author as there were moments of laugh out loud humour and fun. ( )
  Okies | Mar 25, 2021 |
Whenever I’m in a reading slump and just not sure what I want to read next, Sophie Kinsella is always a good bet.
So we have a young woman, nervous about flying, sharing all her deep and dark secrets with the man sitting next to her, including work gossip. She assumes she will never see this man again...obviously wrongly.
From here we go into all the expected craziness. This makes for few good laughs and and lighthearted story. ( )
  purple_pisces22 | Mar 14, 2021 |
Emma (± 21) werkt in Londen als marketing-assistente bij Panther NV, wat haar familie te min vindt, zodat ze haar werk aandikt. Ook tegen haar nieuwe vriend, de knappe maar saaie Connor, maakt ze dingen mooier. Als tijdens een zakenreisje haar vliegtuig in turbulentie terechtkomt, raakt ze in paniek en biecht haar onbekende buurman haar geheimen op. Bij aankomst is ze zo in de war dat ze Connors voorstel om samen te wonen accepteert. Haar biechtvader blijkt echter Jack, haar hoogste baas te zijn die alles heeft onthouden wat ze zei en belangstelling voor haar heeft. [...]. Van de Engelse financieel journaliste verschenen enkele bestsellers. Ook deze luchtige roman, die vooral werkende jonge vrouwen van ± 18 tot 32 zal aanspreken, leest lekker weg. Een herkenbaar verhaal, waarin heel veel in hoog tempo gebeurt, met vaak komische misverstanden, romantiek en veel Engelse humor.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion, Madelon de Swart

Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Selkälä, UllaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Gelder, MariëtteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiberg, CarlaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To H, for whom I have no secrets.
Well, not many, anyway.
Of course I have secrets.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,993,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible