Rock with Wings by Anne Hillerman

I'm finding that mystery/suspense readers have a range of expectations from the books they read. Some want nothing but action, action, action. Others like a lot of character development and background exposition along with the action. Anne Hillerman's Rock with Wings will frustrate the action, action, action crowd. This book starts with a tense scene in which Navajo cop Bernie Manuelito stops a speeding motorist. She finds a box of dirt in his car. He tries to bribe her and she ends up arresting him. Then we go into a rather lengthy exploration of Bernie's relationship with her sister and mother, and her husband Chee's relationship with a clansman. I am interested in native culture and social relationships so I continued to be interested. Eventually we get around to some action for both these tribal policemen who have to solve mysteries and confront danger. I enjoyed reading this book, and I will continue to read Anne Hillerman. ( )
  C.J.Shane | Feb 25, 2019 |
Readable, eventful. Bernie & Chee are just static nice-nice, the beauty of the landscape is extolled to the max, but the effects are really all told not shown. In this novel the separation of Bernie & Chee for about a week serves to have two mysteries going with very slight connection pasted in at the end. Except for borderline excessive twee, not painful. ( )
  quondame | Dec 18, 2018 |
I love Anne Hillerman's style which puts me into the culture with the dialog and the life style. The mysteries that the husband and wife solve and their relationship were well done. I will go back and read her first book. I also want to catch up on the books by Tony Hillerman that I missed along the way. I do like the setting and characters. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Jul 11, 2018 |
On the one hand, I do love getting to spend time on the Navajo reservation via this book's loving sense of place. Unfortunately, the mystery was pretty weak. I'll keep reading this series, but I can't really recommend this one as a mystery. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
Wow. This book was slow. I liked the tv show Skin walkers. I mean, it also was really slow, but I like the setting. But, this book would have made a good 30 minute episode. A filler episode really.
Instead of making me want to read more Hillerman (Tony or Anne), it made me want to rewatch Longmire. ( )
  mollypitchermary | Oct 11, 2017 |

Anne Hillermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ottewell, MirandaCopy editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, JarrodCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my mother, Marie. She gave me the title for this book...
And in memory of Cindy Bellinger.  She gave me simple, sage advice on how to finish ROCK WITH WINGS:  Keep writing!
Officer Bernadette Manuelito had been sitting in her unit by the side of the road for an hour, watching the last of the twilight fade and the pinpoints of stars appear in the blue-gray sky.

Navajo Tribal cops Jim Chee and Bernadette Manuelito, and their mentor, the legendary Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn, investigate two perplexing cases in this exciting Southwestern mystery from the New York Times bestselling author of Spider Woman’s Daughter.

Doing a good deed for a relative offers the perfect opportunity for Sergeant Jim Chee and his wife, Officer Bernie Manuelito, to get away from the daily grind of police work. But two cases will call them back from their short vacation and separate them—one near Shiprock, and the other at iconic Monument Valley.

Chee follows a series of seemingly random and cryptic clues that lead to a missing woman, a coldblooded thug, and a mysterious mound of dirt and rocks that could be a gravesite. Bernie has her hands full managing the fallout from a drug bust gone wrong, uncovering the origins of a fire in the middle of nowhere, and looking into an ambitious solar energy development with long-ranging consequences for Navajo land.

Under the guidance of their mentor, retired Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn, Bernie and Chee will navigate unexpected obstacles and confront the greatest challenge yet to their skills, commitment, and courage.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:34 -0400)

Navajo Tribal cops Jim Chee and Bernadette Manuelito, and their mentor, the legendary Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn, investigate two perplexing cases involving a missing woman and a drug bust gone bad.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,462,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible