Harlan Ellison's The City on the Edge of Forever [graphic novel]

by Harlan Ellison, David Tipton (Author), Scott Tipton (Author), J. K. Woodward (Illustrator)

For the first time ever, a visual presentation of the much-discussed, unrevised, unadulterated version of Harlan Ellison's award-winning Star TrekThe Original Series teleplay script, "The City on the Edge of Forever!" See the story as Mr. Ellison originally intended and-thanks to the lifelike painted art of J.K. Woodward-"performed" by the original actors!… (more)

First let me state that this my first time reading anything from Harlan Ellison. Second, this was a story that was meant for the audience watching the Star Trek the Original Series. Now with that out of the way, I liked this story. It starts out with a drug dealer aboard the Enterprise. Yes, one of the crew, a Gold shirt by the way, is dealing illegal drugs on the Enterprise. When he gets caught its while the Enterprise is around a planet that is caused a disturbance in the clocks of the Enterprise. The drug dealer beams down to this planet and Kirk, Spock, and a group of red shirts pursue. Without anymore spoilers Kirk and Spock end up pursuing the drug dealer through time to Depression Era America in the year 1930.

This leads to a story where Kirk and Spock debate the value of one persons choice against the will of the universe. Someone must decide whether to make a choice that is selfish. The other must choose what right for the universe. It's the kind of story that we've seen many times today. It reminds me of the Doctor Who Special, The Waters of Mars where fighting against the will of the universe and time is what The Doctor tries to do. I enjoyed the story but had to remind myself that this was supposed to be seen on television.

The art is a lovely painted style which really helps the story. I don't this book would have worked well without this kind of art style. The artist goes for capturing the feel of the television show rather than creating something different. I liked that and thought it kept me in the mindset of someone watching the television show. I'm not the biggest fan of Star Trek but I know what it used to look like. The artist does a good job of carrying that feeling of classic Trek into this book.

I received a copy of this through NetGalley and I thank them for it. #NetGalley ( )
  Kurt.Rocourt | Jun 14, 2021 |
(Very) short story in five parts about time travel. Great colour artwork. This graphic novel edition included a reprint of the 1960s Gold Key comic Star Trek #2, "The Devil's Isle of Space" & " The Secret of Execution Asteroid". ( )
  AChild | Feb 17, 2021 |
I'm not a fan of Star Trek so this whole thing looks to me like a lot of fuss over very little. I like Ellison's writing but that episode is not Shakespeare, it's still Star Trek. It's better than the filmed version and I understand the frustration of people being dicks to him all this time but I sense he's not actually as upset as he makes it out to be in this book. It's just adding to the episode's mythology and I think he likes it that way. We're all so vain. ( )
  Paul_S | Dec 23, 2020 |
I thought that Star Trek: City on the Edge of Forever would be a graphic novel about the episode. What I didn't know was that it would be instead a graphic novel of Harlan Ellison's Star Trek teleplay script; “The City on the Edge of Forever”. I may have glossed over the fact in my joy of finding a Star Trek graphic novel on NetGalley...

What about the graphic novel then?

I loved it! I loved the story, I loved the changes in the story from the episode I have seen to the version Harlan Ellison has written. I mean the episode is epic but damn it, this graphic novel is just as good and frankly in some way better because it isn't restricted to a time limit instead it can have many more wonderful scenes (I do miss Kirk's explanation for Spock's ears to the policeman)...

The art?

Breathtaking! I mean it's so gorgeous and so well drawn that every expression on Spock and Kirk's faces is just perfect, it's almost uncanny watching the art and seeing how well the expressions are drawn.

The verdict?

5 stars! I want this volume, I need this volume!

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review!! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is a graphic novel based on the original teleplay for the Star Trek episode, City on the Edge of Forever, written by Harlan Ellison. This episode is easily one of the most popular of the original series, and arguably one of the best. Most people, however, don't know the sordid history behind it, which included lawsuits and slander against both Gene Roddenberry and Harlan Ellison.

At any rate, the story is well-written, and really captures the emotions of a lonely starship captain who didn't even realize how alone he really was. Sure, he has close friends, but only found "the one" on 1930s Earth. A lot of moral dilemmas presented, with decisions impacting the future of the known universe. No one said being a starship captain was easy.

The artwork was superb, and really captured the emotions in the characters.

Highly recommended! ( )
1 vote ssimon2000 | May 31, 2016 |

Ellison, HarlanAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tipton, DavidAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Tipton, ScottAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Woodward, J. K.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,344,327 books! | Top bar: Always visible