Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Out of Season: A Novel (Rocco Schiavone…

Out of Season: A Novel (Rocco Schiavone Mysteries) (edition 2018)

by Antonio Manzini (Author)

Member:jfe16
Title:Out of Season: A Novel (Rocco Schiavone Mysteries)
Authors:Antonio Manzini (Author)
Info:Harper Paperbacks (2018), 352 pages
Rating:**

Out of Season: A Novel (Rocco Schiavone Mysteries) by Antonio Manzini

2018 (3) 21st century (2) Aoste (1) crime (3) currently-reading (1) Early Reviewers (1) ebook (1) ER (1) favorite (1) fiction (1) gialli (3) giallo (2) Italian literature (2) Italy (5) jkr (1) kidnapping (1) Krimi Italien (1) May 2018 (1) murder (1) mystery (4) n.p. (1) narrativa (1) noir (1) novel (2) polar (1) police (1) read (1) Roman (2) to-read (1) usurer (1)

English (14)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (16)
Out of Season was a much better "who dun it" then I thought....Rocco is such an irreverent Deputy Chief...the humor was expertly mixed with the seriousness of the story line.. ( )
  ccheripka | Feb 7, 2019 |
Out of Season is the third book in the Rocco Schiavone mystery series by Antonio Manzini (originally published in Italian). The book reads well as a standalone. I am grateful for this since I have not read the first two in the series. It is a fast paced and entertaining mystery/thriller set in a small town in the Italian Alps.

The story follows Deputy Chief Rocco as he tries to solve the mystery of a missing young girl Chairia Berguet. She is the daughter of a local business man who owes a lot of money to the wrong people. The story opens when the kidnapper is killed in a freak car accident.

At first the reader does not know the accident and the disappearance of Chairia are connected. Then as the investigation moves along, the reader realizes that the only person who knows where she is being held is dead. When Rocco makes the connection he is desperate to find her. He will do anything to location her including bending and breaking the rules.

My favorite thing about this book is the MC, Deputy Chief Rocco. He is driven and relentless when on a case; yet as a human being, he fails miserable. He is moody, difficult, rude and arrogant and yet it worked with the story and I loved his character despite all the flaws. The author really did an outstanding job with him. I found the plot to a bit slow in the beginning but it was not enough to deter me form pushing forward. Then as the story unfolds, and the pace picks up, you are rushing to the end to see if he can find Chaira.

Even though this book is a mystery/thriller it is not heavy handed. In fact, it contained a lot of humor. Rocco is very good at handing out insults and one liners that will have you chuckling. So instead of a dark, heart pounding thriller, that are a dime a dozen these days, you get a weirdly funny thriller/mystery and I found it very refreshing.

If you are looking for a mystery/thriller that is on the lighter side, this is the one for you, make sure to put it on your TBR list! I thoroughly enjoyed and I look forward to reading more in this series. I am keeping my fingers crossed that more will be published in English.

I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for my honest review. For more of my reviews, and author interviews, see my book blog at www.thespineview.com ( )
  purpledog | Dec 19, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Kidnapping, mob language, organized crime and a Deputy Police Chief who has no problems crossing the line when it comes to finding a solution to the crime and arresting the perp. This mystery novel started slowly for me and I never did really connect with the storyline or Chief Rocco, the unorthodox and handsome Chief had some personal habits which I found rather unbelievable for a law enforcer. Some readers may enjoy the police procedure information or the animal conversations, I think I may be more of a traditional mystery reader. I give this book a 3-star rating. Thank you to the publisher and LibraryThing for my pre-publication copy. ( )
  WeeziesBooks | Dec 19, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book grew on me. I wasn't too keen on it at first because the beginning was off-putting in the slightly stilted and annoyingly stereotypical interchange between the two criminals. I chalked it up partly to translation issues (the book was translated from Italian).

I also started out not liking the main character, Deputy Police Chief Rocco Schiavone, because he is so brusque as to be rude. But he really grew on me! As the book went on I became amused at his mannerisms, and by the end of the book I was practically laughing out loud at some of the things he says and does. I really liked him by the end. A running gag with two not-so-bright police officers on Rocco's team and the crazy assignments Rocco gives them to keep them out of his hair provides comic relief throughout the book. These two officers border on caricatures, but author Antonio Manzini manages to rein himself in before letting things get too ridiculous with the running gag.

The plot moves fast, with Rocco and his team running all over the place trying to figure out what's going on. A van runs off the road and crashes into a tree, killing both men on impact. What is the significance of this seemingly routine traffic accident? And what does it have to do with a woman who has been kidnapped?

Thanks to how Manzini draws his characters, the book never gets too dark. Humor is maintained throughout, and the dialog among characters is rapid-fire fast, full of one-liners and good-natured roasting. I liked the feel of this book. At the end Manzini gets quite a bit darker in tone and lets Rocco's emotions come through, and this change was all the more impactful for how light the rest of the book was.

I have only two complaints: 1) Manzini constantly switches between first names and last names of characters, and that makes things confusing; it's not easy to remember the first and last names of every character. 2) Every time the book cuts over to the kidnapped woman, Chiara Berguet, and her attempt to figure out her situation, the plot comes to a screeching halt. It's sooooo slooooowwww. I found myself rapidly skimming every chapter that described Chiara's situation, just so I could get back to Rocco and his team.

Solid 4 stars for this book, an enjoyable mystery. ( )
  niaomiya | Jul 17, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is my first book by Antonio Manzini, and I enjoyed the story. Not reading the first books in the series didn't seem to matter much; this worked well as a stand-alone for me. Interesting story and I found the lead character believable and I understood his motivation. I will say, there is a major error in the description on the back cover, and I hope it gets corrected before the book goes to print. I had to re-read sections several times, because they just didn't make sense based on the blurb. I finally just accepted that the back cover was wrong. ( )
  owlie13 | Jul 2, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Antonio Manzini's book Out of Season is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,478,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible