Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Juna's Jar by Jane Bahk

Juna's Jar (edition 2018)

by Jane Bahk (Author), Felicia Hoshino (Illustrator)

After her best friend, Hector, moves away, Juna's brother Minho tries to make her feel better by finding things to put in her special kimchi jar, and each night, whatever is in the jar takes her on a magical journey in search of Hector. Includes glossary.
Member:mdk235
Title:Juna's Jar
Authors:Jane Bahk (Author)
Other authors:Felicia Hoshino (Illustrator)
Info:Lee & Low Books (2018), 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy, diversity, Asian American, Hispanic, animals, collection, cultural food, multicultural

Juna's Jar by Jane Bahk

This is a sweet book! I love how it incorporates diverse characters and Asian American culture in a natural way. Instead of being an informational book about a different cultural background, it simply depicts Juna's life as it really would be. ( )
  mdk235 | Oct 9, 2020 |
a little Korean culture, and lots of friendship and kindness ( )
  melodyreads | May 27, 2020 |
Age Appropriateness (Primary, Intermediate, Middle School): Primary (1-3)
Review/Critique: This book is about a girl and her best friend who moves away. Her family tries to make her feel better by doing sweet little things like putting suspires in her kimchi jar. She imagines stories and adventures about the things in her jar.
Comments on Use: I do not think I would read this book out loud to my entire class but have it as a book in my library. I think it would be fun to incorporate this book into a unit about Asian cultures and experiences. ( )
  khadijab | Nov 2, 2017 |
This is an adorably sweet story about the heartache Juna feels when her best friend, Hector, unexpectedly moves away. Juna's brother tries to cheer her up, first with a goldfish, then a plant, then a cricket. Each time, they put these items in the special kimchi jar she and Hector used to collect things. This leads to Juna's imagination taking her on adventures in search of her friend. There is hope at the end of the story when Juna meets a young girl at the park who asks to put an inchworm in her jar. We don't know for sure, but we can bet that this is the beginning of a new friendship.

Young readers will enjoy this story and be able to make an emotional connection. It can be a great springboard for launching a discussion about how it feels when friends move away, or how it feels when you have to move away from friends. ( )
  CathyInWA | Jul 20, 2017 |
There are a number of Spanish words and Korean words that are defined and used in the story. I love when books do this because it is either a great learning opportunity for students who have not been introduced to these words or validating to students that have family who use the words regularly.
  kmcfadden | Jun 8, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,670,969 books! | Top bar: Always visible