Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment,…

Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy… (1992)

by Stephen E. Ambrose

Recently added byprivate library, mjduschl, hawtbug, Jedi_Master_Ed, bartfun, U.S._Embassy_Vienna, MFam, nduke
    Citizen Soldiers: The U. S. Army from the Normandy Beaches to the Bulge to the Surrender of Germany by Stephen E. Ambrose (fmorondo)
    With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by E. B. Sledge (mjmorrison1971)
    mjmorrison1971: The second piece of work used by Hanks and Speilberg for the Pacific covering the War pretty much from where Helmet for my pillow ended. Again a first hand account that does help one understand the horrors these men endured.
    Helmet for My Pillow: From Parris Island to the Pacific by Robert Leckie (mjmorrison1971)
    mjmorrison1971: Like Band of Brothers used as the basis of Tom Hanks & Steven Speilberg's work - this time the Pacific. A first hand account of some of the US Marine Corps early campaigns in the Pacific.
    Hell's Highway: A Chronicle of the 101st Airborne in the Holland Campaign, September-November 1944 by George Koskimaki (TomCat14)
    The Battered Bastards of Bastogne: The 101st Airborne and the Battle of the Bulge, December 19,1944-January 17,1945 by George Koskimaki (TomCat14)
    Rendezvous With Destiny History of the 101st Airborne Division by Leonard Rapport (TomCat14)
    Band of Brothers [2001 TV mini series] by Steven Spielberg (TheLittlePhrase)
    Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides (IslandDave)
    D-Day June 6 1944: the Climatic Battle of World War II by Stephen E. Ambrose (tarheel)
    Saving Private Ryan [1998 film] by Steven Spielberg (TheLittlePhrase)
    D-Day: The Battle for Normandy by Antony Beevor (tarheel)
    Night Drop: The American Airborne Invasion of Normandy by S. L. A. Marshall (TomCat14)
    D-Day with the Screaming Eagles by George Koskimaki (TomCat14)
    Brothers in Battle, Best of Friends by William Guarnere (cmbohn)
    Joker One: A Marine Platoon's Story of Courage, Leadership, and Brotherhood by Donovan Campbell (NickBlasta)

English (84)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (86)
I read this book a long time ago, and now after a recommendation I've received, I decided to write that although I enjoyed the TV series, I couldn't relate to the book. This may have happened because when I went to read it, I looked for a history book and this book reminded me more of a fiction. ( )
1 vote mazalbracha | Jan 12, 2019 |
Have you ever come back in time? This is it, the real thing and you don't have to go back in time for this matter, well, not when you have Ambrose by your side. I don't think I ever heard of a "group biography," but on the other hand, I am not a historian. And you know what? It doesn't matter when Ambrose is the one who writes the book and does it so well. This book is not fooling the reader with all sorts of grandiose descriptions as we have seen in other history books - how easy it is to show and prove that reality as it was; beyond imagination.
This is an excellent book even for someone who isn't a fan of World War II history. ( )
  JantTommason | Jan 7, 2019 |
While Ambrose's prose is often horrible, I love the story of the men in this book. ( )
1 vote wordsampersand | Dec 6, 2018 |
Mi reseña y opinión de Hermanos de sangre aquí. ( )
  LuisBermer | Sep 2, 2018 |
A well written book following the original recruits of Easy Company of the 101st Airborne from their first days in training in 1942 through demobilization in 1945. It was very interesting to see the kind of training they received and how they coalesced into a unit where the members knew each other so well that they could tell in total darkness who was coming up behind them (which proved to be an asset on D-Day). Not only did Stephen Ambrose have to do a great deal of research for this book, but he also interviewed as many of the remaining members as he could reach. Having said that, it’s clear from the book that Ambrose, like the entire Company, had a real affection and respect for Richard Winters, though Ambrose and Winters didn’t always agree on everything and definitely sometimes agreed to disagree. Recommended. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Jun 18, 2018 |
"From this day to the ending of the World, ...we in it shall be remembered ...we band of brothers." –Henry V (William Shakespeare)
To all those members of the Parachute Infantry, United States Army, 1941–1945, who wear the Purple Heart not as a decoration but as a badge of office.
The men of Easy Company, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division, U.S. Army, came from different backgrounds.
This is for the book by Stephen E. Ambrose. It is not the 2001 miniseries by Spielberg. The "Original Publication Date" is 1992, not 2001 as some users are incorrectly setting.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 074322454X, Paperback)

As grippingly as any novelist, preeminent World War II historian Stephen Ambrose tells the horrifying, hallucinatory saga of Easy Company, whose 147 members he calls the nonpareil combat paratroopers on earth circa 1941-45. Ambrose takes us along on Easy Company's trip from grueling basic training to Utah Beach on D-day, where a dozen of them turned German cannons into dynamited ruins resembling "half-peeled bananas," on to the Battle of the Bulge, the liberation of part of the Dachau concentration camp, and a large party at Hitler's "Eagle's Nest," where they drank the madman's (surprisingly inferior) champagne. Of Ambrose's main sources, three soldiers became rich civilians; at least eight became teachers; one became Albert Speer's jailer; one prosecuted Bobby Kennedy's assassin; another became a mountain recluse; the despised, sadistic C.O. who first trained Easy Company (and to whose strictness many soldiers attributed their survival of the war) wound up a suicidal loner whose own sons skipped his funeral.

The Easy Company survivors describe the hell and confusion of any war: the senseless death of the nicest kid in the company when a souvenir Luger goes off in his pocket; the execution of a G.I. by his C.O. for disobeying an order not to get drunk. Despite the gratuitous horrors it relates, Band of Brothers illustrates what one of Ambrose's sources calls "the secret attractions of war ... the delight in comradeship, the delight in destruction ... war as spectacle." --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:38 -0400)

The story of the men who were in Easy Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne during World War II.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,552,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible