Band of Brothers : E Company, 506th…

Band of Brothers : E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy… (original 1992; edition 2001)

by Stephen E. Ambrose

Member:rebeccajw
Title:Band of Brothers : E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest
Authors:Stephen E. Ambrose
Info:Simon & Schuster (2001), Edition: 2nd Touchstone Ed, Paperback, 336 pages

Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest by Stephen E. Ambrose (1992)

Recently added byTofrek, private library, Tenntom, pennypenguin, 59oxford, mjbays, Cassell25
    Citizen Soldiers: The U. S. Army from the Normandy Beaches to the Bulge to the Surrender of Germany by Stephen E. Ambrose (fmorondo)
    With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by E. B. Sledge (mjmorrison1971)
    mjmorrison1971: The second piece of work used by Hanks and Speilberg for the Pacific covering the War pretty much from where Helmet for my pillow ended. Again a first hand account that does help one understand the horrors these men endured.
    Helmet for My Pillow: From Parris Island to the Pacific by Robert Leckie (mjmorrison1971)
    mjmorrison1971: Like Band of Brothers used as the basis of Tom Hanks & Steven Speilberg's work - this time the Pacific. A first hand account of some of the US Marine Corps early campaigns in the Pacific.
    Hell's Highway: A Chronicle of the 101st Airborne in the Holland Campaign, September-November 1944 by George Koskimaki (TomCat14)
    The Battered Bastards of Bastogne: The 101st Airborne and the Battle of the Bulge, December 19,1944-January 17,1945 by George Koskimaki (TomCat14)
    D-Day June 6 1944: the Climatic Battle of World War II by Stephen E. Ambrose (tarheel)
    Rendezvous With Destiny History of the 101st Airborne Division by Leonard Rapport (TomCat14)
    Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides (IslandDave)
    D-Day: The Battle for Normandy by Antony Beevor (tarheel)
    Brothers In Battle, Best of Friends by William Guarnere (cmbohn)
    Night Drop: The American Airborne Invasion of Normandy by S. L. A. Marshall (TomCat14)
    D-Day with the Screaming Eagles by George Koskimaki (TomCat14)
    Joker One: A Marine Platoon's Story of Courage, Leadership, and Brotherhood by Donovan Campbell (NickBlasta)

English (77)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (79)
This is the classic study of E Company, 506 Regiment, 101 Airborne's battle from the beaches of Normandy to Hitler's Eagle Nest. Ambrose interviewed many of the soldiers in the 1990's and using their memories and their diaries, he tried to show what fighting was like from the point of view of the men who did it. ( )
  lamour | Apr 6, 2018 |
I should have read this one a long time ago. We know the formulaic story: melting pot Americans train together, fight together – usually with the Germans – and win the War. Stephen Ambrose writes using the best of both journalistic and historian styles – interviews with the surviving participants plus accounts of the Big Picture. By 1992, when this was published, we were far enough from WWII that it was no longer necessary to portray American soldiers as candidates for beatification; the boys from Company E shoot prisoners, loot civilian houses, and cavort with willing women. Of course they also hate the French, so they’re forgiven.

E Company jumps into Normandy and Holland and gets trucked to the Bulge; American valor prevails. In an epilog, Ambrose follows the post-war careers of the men; most went on to personal success (although there are some sad endings as well).

As I said, we all know the stories. But there are still things that astonish – this from the very beginning of the book, by Private Don Malarkey, interviewed years later:

“So this was the beginning of the most momentous experience of my life, as a member of E company. There has not a day that has passed since that I do not thank Adolf Hitler for allowing me to be associated with the most inspiring and talented group of men I have ever known.”

There is a similar reminiscence from Sergeant Berry Benson, Company H, 1st South Carolina Regiment, also writing years after his war:

“Who knows but it may be given to us, after this life, to meet again in the old quarters, to play chess and draughts, to get up soon to answer the morning roll call, to fall in at the tap of the drum for drill and dress parade, and again to hastily don our war gear while the monotonous patter of the long roll summons to battle? Who knows but again the old flags, ragged and torn, snapping in the wind, may face each other and flutter, pursuing and pursued, while the cries of victory fill a summer day? And after the battle, then the slain and wounded will arise, and all will be talking and laughter and cheers, and all will say: Did it not seem real? Was it not as in the old days?”

I wonder if this is unique to Americans and to those particular wars. It’s hard to imagine anybody being nostalgic for The Somme or Verdun or Stalingrad. I never went to war; I have nothing comparable to draw on; but I’ve met people – including my own father – for whom their military service and combat experience really were the summit of their lives. I withhold judgement on whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing. Not much a review then; more of late night philosophy. Indulge me, I hope. ( )
  setnahkt | Dec 4, 2017 |
Book on CD read by Collin Smith

The subtitle is all the synopsis anyone needs: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler’s Eagle’s Nest.

Ambrose chose one unit and followed the men of that unit through their years of training, and combat during World War II. He profiles the officers and enlisted men alike, showing their reactions to training, to the regimented lifestyle the military requires, to combat, and to each other. In this way, the reader experiences the boredom of routine drill, the excitement and anxiety of waiting to go on the next mission, the adrenaline rush and terror of combat, the anger and compassion on seeing your comrades wounded or killed.

Ambrose conducted hours of interviews with the survivors, and was given access to letters, journals and military documents. The personal stories lend great authenticity to the narrative. The text edition includes photos of the soldiers, and maps of Europe, as well as of specific battle sites.

Collin Smith does a fine job narrating the audio book. He has great pacing and really brought the work to life. However … after listening to the first disc I realized the copy I got from the library was an abridged audio, so I read the text for the remainder of the book.

One final footnote: In the last year of his life, Ambrose was accused of plagiarizing several passages in his book The Wild Blue. He responded that all his works are footnoted, and his sources documented. He said that his main concern was with telling the story, and he regretted that he didn’t always use quotation marks. Forbes magazine did additional research and found suspect passages in at least six of Ambrose’s books. However, THIS book, was NOT cited. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jul 9, 2017 |
to-read
  DavidR1958 | Jul 4, 2017 |
A compelling historical account of the famous 101st airborne division in WWII. Ambrose obviously spent a tremendous amount of time getting the details correct and as a result paints a comprehensive picture of the division, in particular the 120 men of Easy Company. Well written and fascinating the story takes the reader from Normandy to the Battle of the Bulge to Goering's 10,000 bottle wine cellar. I would rate this book higher except the HBO mini-series (of which this book is the basis) is even better. ( )
  bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |
"From this day to the ending of the World, ...we in it shall be remembered ...we band of brothers." –Henry V (William Shakespeare)
To all those members of the Parachute Infantry, United States Army, 1941–1945, who wear the Purple Heart not as a decoration but as a badge of office.
The men of Easy Company, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division, U.S. Army, came from different backgrounds.
This is for the book by Stephen E. Ambrose. It is not the 2001 miniseries by Spielberg. The "Original Publication Date" is 1992, not 2001 as some users are incorrectly setting.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 074322454X, Paperback)

As grippingly as any novelist, preeminent World War II historian Stephen Ambrose tells the horrifying, hallucinatory saga of Easy Company, whose 147 members he calls the nonpareil combat paratroopers on earth circa 1941-45. Ambrose takes us along on Easy Company's trip from grueling basic training to Utah Beach on D-day, where a dozen of them turned German cannons into dynamited ruins resembling "half-peeled bananas," on to the Battle of the Bulge, the liberation of part of the Dachau concentration camp, and a large party at Hitler's "Eagle's Nest," where they drank the madman's (surprisingly inferior) champagne. Of Ambrose's main sources, three soldiers became rich civilians; at least eight became teachers; one became Albert Speer's jailer; one prosecuted Bobby Kennedy's assassin; another became a mountain recluse; the despised, sadistic C.O. who first trained Easy Company (and to whose strictness many soldiers attributed their survival of the war) wound up a suicidal loner whose own sons skipped his funeral.

The Easy Company survivors describe the hell and confusion of any war: the senseless death of the nicest kid in the company when a souvenir Luger goes off in his pocket; the execution of a G.I. by his C.O. for disobeying an order not to get drunk. Despite the gratuitous horrors it relates, Band of Brothers illustrates what one of Ambrose's sources calls "the secret attractions of war ... the delight in comradeship, the delight in destruction ... war as spectacle." --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:38 -0400)

The story of the men who were in Easy Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne during World War II.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,527,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible