Slade House by David Mitchell

Slade House

by David Mitchell

1,3731575,566 (3.82)1 / 181

English (153)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All (1)  All (157)
I have read Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell some years ago and found it an unusual book to read and really out my comfort zone. Slade House again I found quite quirky but again if not for book group I probably wouldn't have read it.

The story revolves around a house that appears every nine years. The residents, a set of twins lure in a victim so they can feed off their soul for eternal life. The story is told in five parts, each nine years apart.

I read the first few pages and thought yes this is going to be ok. Then I found the story becoming quite strange and I didn't quite get what was going on. I persevered with it and it started to become clear.

My favourite section was the Halloween party. I really enjoyed that part. The first part is setting the scene, the second, third and fourth are really a repeat of the first but with a different time zone. The last part I felt totally confused. Each section is somehow connected via characters from the the others, which I found similar to what happens in Cloud Atlas.

I enjoyed some of the book, not really my cup of tea although I do enjoy horror and supernatural books. ( )
  tina1969 | May 17, 2017 |
Less challenging than The Bone Clock but with some overlapping ideas. A great intro to D. Mitchell. ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
Good book, pretty scary, didn't know what to expect. I recommend it. ( )
  ClaireLou | May 5, 2017 |
I won a copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads :-)

This book is: a page-turner, suspenseful, creative, complex, creepy, amazing. It's five short stories, set nine years apart beginning in 1979 and they're all connected by a haunted house.

Great writing. I didn't like the last story as much as the others, but still a great read. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
Great Story, Well told. A refreshing change to modern fantasy. ( )
  OwenRochester | Apr 11, 2017 |
**** 4 out of 5 stars
Review by: Mark Palm
Not Another Haunted House.

The one thing that I have come to expect from David Mitchell is that you never know what you are going to get. That is true once again with Slade House. Nominally a haunted house novel, Slade House reminded me of the story of the Blind Men and the Elephant. The one who touched it’s tail thought that it was a rope, the one that touched it’s ear thought that it was a fan, the one that touched it’s leg thought that it was a pillar. They are all wrong, but they are somehow all right as well.

The story starts with Nathan Bishop, a teenaged boy and his musician mother, who enter Slade House expecting a party, and are greeted by Jonah, a teen-aged boy who seems to have unusual abilities. We can’t quite be sure at first, because the section is narrated by Nathan, who is on valium, which makes his perception strange, as he says. As the story continues, however, and grows more and more surreal, we discover that strange and horrible things are indeed happening in Slade House. Unfortunately for Nathan and his mother, the revelation comes too late.

NIne years later a tough but conceited cop, Gordon Edmunds, is looking into the disappearance of the Bishops and he is lured into Slade House by an attractive young widow, Chloe Chetwynd. At dinner, the two witness ghosts. Once again things get decidedly surreal, and our protagonist is manipulated by their desires into becoming a victim of the strange beings who call Slade House their home. This pattern occurs again and again as we learn that the entities are Norah and Jonah Grayer, who need souls to feast upon. To go into more detail is impossible without dropping a ton of spoilers, but Mr. Mitchell rewards the patient reader, as each section of the story peels away a bit of the mystery. That’s part of the rub, though. For me, not knowing the story made the earlier sections exceptionally creepy. It was satisfying to learn more and more, but as I did I found the book to be a bit less effective.

Mr. Mitchell’s prose, written in the first person through various characters, is exceptional. Each is unique in tone and pace, and all are believable. The biggest problem that I had with Slade House is that I didn’t really feel that it stands that well on it’s own. It is creepy, and effective, and prior knowledge of The Bone Clocks makes Slade House a more effective novel. Still, it’s definitely original, and definitely worth your time.

Full reviews available at http://www.thebookendfamily.weebly.co...

Whatever Mum's saying's drowned out by the grimy roar of the bus pulling away, revealing a pub called The Fox and Hounds.
Grief is an amputation, but hope is incurable haemophilia: you bleed and bleed and bleed. (p. 142)
The wackometer needle is stuck on 11. (p. 171)
Think about it: about the squalid, shitty reasons that people murder each other in large numbers now. Oil; the drug trade; control over occupied territories and the word 'occupied'. Water. God's true name, His true will, who owns access to Him. The astonishing belief that Iraq can be turned into Sweden by deposing its dictator and smashing the place up a bit. (p. 172)

Keep your eyes peeled for a small black iron door.

Down the road from a working-class pub, along a narrow brick alley, you just might find the entrance to Slade House. A stranger will greet you by name and invite you inside. At first, you won't want to leave. Later, you'll find that you can't. Every nine years, the residents of Slade House extend an invitation to someone who's different or lonely: a precocious teenager, a recently divorced policeman, a shy college student. But what really goes on inside? For those who find out, it's already too late...

Spanning decades, leaping genres, and barreling toward an astonishing conclusion, Slade House is a haunted house story as only David Mitchell could imagine it.

Welcome to Slade House:
eat, drink and be merry, but
you will never leave.
(passion4reading)

From “one of the most electric writers alive” (The Boston Globe) comes a taut, intricately woven, spine-chilling, reality-warping short novel. Set across five decades, beginning in 1979 and coming to its electrifying conclusion on October 31, 2015, Slade House is the perfect book to curl up with on a dark and stormy night.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:30 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

David Mitchell's book Slade House was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,408,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible