Veiled

by Benedict Jacka

Series: Alex Verus (6)

Diviner Alex Verus and the Council that governs the magical community have never gotten along. But with his former teacher back in Britain, Alex is in desperate need of allies, and he'll do whatever it takes to get them--even if it means accepting a job with the Keepers, enforcing magical law. Alex forms an uneasy alliance with his new partner, Caldera, but his attempt at legitimacy quickly turns lethal when a mission puts him in possession of an item that factions both inside and outside of the Council would kill to get their hands on. Once again caught in the middle of a deadly conflict, Alex will need all his abilities to figure out who his friends are--especially when enemies are hiding on all sides...… (more)

Another solid edition, but it suffers from being less personal on any front. I mean, Verus as a probationary Keeper (a cop) of the Light Mages? It sounds like the plot needed a bit of stretching, to me, but okay, I'll get over it, let's see where this takes us.

Politics. Of course, it has to be politics.

Fun fight scenes, interesting developments in the mage world, and a pretty glorious take-down mission full of intrigue and double-crossings, but like I said, less of a personal novel. There's no new grand reveals or anything when it comes to Verus or his friends. If it wasn't for the politics and the sense that some major shit is going to come down in the upcoming novels, I'd almost say to prospective readers to skip this one, but it was still entertaining even if it felt more like a military action than an UF novel during the last quarter of the novel.

To each their own. I still thought it was good. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Veiled reads a little like a buddy-cop story, except with magic. I really enjoyed seeing Alex and Caldera work together and develop a tenuous partnership based on trust and respect. The political machinations were a bit confusing (and the various Council factions seemed somewhat contrived), but overall, Veiled is a fast-paced, entertaining read. The Alex Verus series has become one of my all-time favorite urban fantasies, and I can't wait to find out what happens next! ( )
  les121 | Aug 3, 2017 |
Alex Verus has joined the Keepers, the magical police force and finds that now he's involved in more politics. He's sent on a simple job to find out more about what happened, but he finds himself caught up in people smuggling and a nasty underworld and in possession of something a lot of people want. He's also struggling with the assumption a lot of people have that he's somehow still a dark mage, because of his past and that there is no way that he's learned from the past.

It's an interesting read, Alex and his friends are learning more and more every time, the world they're in isn't black or white, it's a lot of grey and they have to cope with this. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Apr 3, 2017 |
Not my favorite in the series, but a good read nonetheless. Plus the ending leaves an interesting set up for the next sequel! I love following the escapades of Verus and seeing what trouble he will have to dig himself out of. If you like the series, you will like this book. Looking forward to "Burned"! ( )
  thealtereggo | Feb 26, 2016 |
In order to survive the coming badness that is Morden and Drahk together, Alex joins the Keepers of the Council — and learns that not everyone on the council is as apathetic as he thought.

I have really enjoyed the Alex Verus series. The characters, even the nasty ones, are interesting and the world just keeps getting bigger. In Veiled, we get a look at the world of the Keepers and see that they are not as homogeneous as Alex once believed.

Because of his experiences in the past, Alex is an unreliable narrator when it comes to all things Council-related. Seeing how the future my play out with Drahk and Morden, Alex reluctantly joins the Keepers — on an auxiliary basis–in order to bolster his defenses and allies against the dark mages’ schemes.

Through his interactions with Caldera, his Keeper “handler,” Landis, Vari, Hakin, and others, he realizes that not everyone who is involved with the Keeper or the Council is 100% on board with their policies. Much like Dark Mage society, though, the people with the most power can pretty much command those that don’t, just in a different way. We learn that there are seven factions within the council—seven!—each with their own beliefs and goals, and that individual greed and lust for power is a human universal, even among light mages.

It’s so much easier to see the world in black and white, and it sucks when you have to give credit or respect to someone you can’t stand, someone who has done crappy things to you. This is what Alex is facing in Veiled — he can’t continue believing the Light Council is apathetic as a whole. While the policies, bureaucracy, and selfish interests of those in power may still result in crappy things, it’s a better system than Dark Mages have. Sounds a lot like modern day politics, doesn’t it?

Purchased. Review courtesy of onebooktwo.com | one book, two reviews. ( )
  InvestedIvana | Oct 20, 2015 |

Benedict Jackaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jackson, GildartNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

It was midwinter.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,836,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible