The One That Got Away by Bethany Chase

The One That Got Away

by Bethany Chase

"Sarina Mahler has finally settled into life. She has a successful career as an architect, a perfect, loving boyfriend, and a close group of friends. But when an old crush moves to town - Eamon, a former Olympic swimmer and the only man she never truly got over - everything flips upside down. Haunted by the death of her mother, Sarina uses her passion for design, inherited from her beloved step-father, to escape from emotional entanglements. With her boyfriend in Buenos Aires for work, and Eamon looking for an architect to renovate his new Austin digs, Sarina discovers quickly that in order to be honest with both men, whom she cares deeply about, she must come to terms with what she's really looking for in love, and life"--… (more)

I really enjoyed this book. I am not sure what the main character's issue was mid read but it was a pretty good book. I will look for others by the author. ( )
  Jewel.Barnett | Sep 6, 2017 |
3.5, but I'm rounding up. I really enjoyed this and am bummed to find out the sequel has been shelved by the publisher. Not sure exactly what that means or why they would do that, yet still circulate the first book with a teaser for the second one included, but I hope it's released some day.

I enjoyed this more than [bc:Results May Vary|27833513|Results May Vary|Bethany Chase|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1460638324s/27833513.jpg|47815510]. I think I could relate more to the characters. Plus, I was in the mood for something light.

Weird names. The Irish names were explained, but I would have liked to hear more about Sarina. I kept reading it as Sabrina.
There are two black characters in this book. One secondary, one minor. I know this because they were described as such, which always strikes me as weird. If you don't point out every time a character is white, why is it necessary to say, "there was an African-American woman seated at the table"? Weird. And as usual, until that point, I had been reading pretty much everyone except the main characters as black, so it annoyed me. ( )
  purpleiris | Aug 28, 2017 |
There's plenty of sexual attraction in this tale of renewed romance. At least Sarina breaks things off with her boyfriend before she finally gets together with her long lost love. I liked Sarina as a strong, capable woman and the grief that she experiences in connection with her parents rings true. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Aug 12, 2017 |
Abbey Lahay is an overworked mother who feels like she is lacking in every area of her life. She struggles with her children, she and her husband fight about money, her house is a mess and her new boss at work is the person she hired as a intern. One day, to cheer herself up, she goes to Nordstrom and buys herself a designer handbag. When her husband finds out, he coldly demands that she return it immediately. While on the escalator at Nordstrom, she has a freak accident, hits her head and when she wakes up, she is married to Alex van Holt - a man who had asked her out on a date years before she was married, a man who is rich and doesn't mind spending money on her. A man who appears to be totally different than her husband who pampers her and cares about her feelings. She is totally freaked out by the change in her life and can't decide how to handle it.

Abbey is a great main character who is desperate to get a break in her life. She feels like money would solve all of her problems but soon learns that money doesn't equal happiness and love. Even though this was a really light read and one that you had to just take a face value and not look for the flaws in the lifestyle changes in Abbey's life, I enjoyed reading it. It's a perfect book to take to the beach or the pool and read while you soak up the sun This is pure escapism at its best. ( )
  susan0316 | Jul 8, 2017 |
I received this ARC from NetGallery in exchange for an honest review.

It was the first ARC I’d received from them, and I couldn’t be more pleased. This is a wonderful romance book with a excellent main character, Sarina Mahler. She is a girl is making it on her own a thousand miles away from home. It’s been ten years since the loss of her mother, and she’s still dealing with her grief. Staying in a safe relationship with Noah because she is afraid of being hurt (aren’t we all?), she’s carefully constructed her world to avoid pain, until she loses the last connection to her Virginia home. She has the best friend every girl wants; a gay man who tells her like it is and doesn’t sugar coat her stupidity. Then there’s HIM - the one that got away eight years ago; the built, Adonis-like swimming champ who comes to Austin to start again.

I enjoyed the book and finished it within a few days; it is well written, funny, intelligent, sweet, and moving.
  laura.w.douglas | Mar 9, 2017 |
For Ginny, who I miss every day.  For Wynne, who claimed me as hers.  And for Rosie, who loved all three of us.
Every woman has one.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Bethany Chase's book The One That Got Away was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,092,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible