Dansa min docka by M.J. Arlidge

Dansa min docka (edition 2016)

by M.J. Arlidge

Member:Storasen
Title:Dansa min docka
Authors:M.J. Arlidge
Info:Lind & Co Förlag 2016

The Doll's House by M. J. Arlidge

A young woman wakes in a room not knowing where she is or how she got there. A body of another young woman is found buried on a beach. Detective Inspector Helen Grace is against the clock to find the killer and the young woman.

This is the third in the series of books to feature Helen Grace. It could be read as a stand alone but I always feel it's best to read them in order. I quite like Helen Grace, shes fiesty and lives for her job. Snippets of her past appear in the books and its clear shes has not had it easy.

I quite enjoyed this book. It doesn't quite have the wow factor like the first book Eeny Meeny which I thought was a brilliant read. The book has short chapters so I raced through it. A good solid story with a serial killer on the loose. Red herrings were thrown in along the way. No guessing with this book as the killer is a nobody until near the end of the book.

The series has characters that follow through. It's been a while since I read book two so I had forgotten some of them. The back stories are there along the way and looks like they will continue in the following books.

A good set of books so far which I would highly recommend and I will certainly continue the series. ( )
  tina1969 | Jan 4, 2017 |
If I could give 1/2 star ratings, I would give this book a 4 1/2 rating. I love M.J. Arlidge's Helen Grace series. This third book in the series didn't quite grab me like its two predecessors, both of which I easily gave a rousing 5 stars. It took me a few chapters to really get into this one, and only then did I find that I didn't want to put it down.

In "The Doll's House," DI Grace is on the trail of another serial killer, one that confounds her as to his motivation for killing. In each case, nobody has reported the victim missing because the killer has usurped the victim's cell phone and continues to text and Tweet as if the victim is still alive. Woven amidst the procedural mystery are sub-plots regarding Grace's supervisor - and nemesis - DS Harwood, DC Charlie's decision regarding her personal vs. professional life, reporter Emilia Garanita's continuing role as a thorn in Grace's side - although it's considerably toned down in this book. These sub-plots are what I so love about this series. Arlidge always does an excellent job with character development. It's not just the mystery that is enthralling but the way Arlidge makes the reader care so much about the characters. DI Helen Grace is one of my favorite protagonists ever, because she is incredibly strong professionally - you definitely don't want to mess with her - and yet she has huge inner demons that render her oh so vulnerable as well.

As the book progresses, Arlidge gradually increases the number of chapters told from the perspective of the killer, letting the reader more and more into the killer's head. Although we learn the reason behind the killer's insanity, I wasn't entirely satisfied with the explanation. I wanted to learn more about the killer's past, to know in greater depth the extent to which his past made him the killer he is.

This book is imperfect, but it was still highly entertaining and a solid outing by Arlidge, and I readily give it 4 1/2 stars. ( )
  niaomiya | Sep 17, 2016 |
Another wonderful book in M.J. Arlidge's Helen Grace series. I eagerly await reading book #4, Liar, Liar. I would not hesitate to recommend this series to fans of mystery/thrillers. ( )
  knittingmomof3 | Apr 28, 2016 |
I came late to the party with this series and have just read this one as my first. For other readers doing the same, it can be read as a stand alone, but you would be creating spoilers for yourself if you intend to go back and read the previous books.

Having read several books recently where the book was, in my opinion, not worthy of the hype I did worry that this might fall into the same category given the buzz about the previous books namely Eeny Meeny and Pop Goes the Weasel. Thankfully I was not disappointed and this really was a good thriller, in a must read the next chapter page turning sort of way.

When a young woman's dead body is found buried on the beach, DI Helen Grace fears this will not be the firs, especially when another young woman, Ruby, goes missing. Her instinct is correct and when more bodies are found, it becomes a race against time to find the missing woman before it's too late.

I enjoyed the book because it was an interesting mix of police procedural along with the ubiquitous police jealousies, point scoring and and back stabbing; coupled with the unravelling back story of the perpetrator and his suffering victim/s.

The story alternates from the viewpoint of the main protagonists which not only progresses the plot but also allows their characters to come to the fore. The only one we get to hear from, but not know the identity of, is the killer. Despite several close shaves with you thinking you know who he is, the mystery remains until the reveal.

I now need to go back and read the previous two to make sense of the references and relationships that impinged on this story. If they're half as good as this I can't wait.

I received a free ARC via NetGalley in return for an honest review. ( )
  Jilldoyle | Mar 27, 2016 |
I received a copy to facilitate my review. The opinions expressed here are my own.

Let me start off by saying that I loved this third book more than the last one. This one kept my heart pounding. I felt like I was in that room with Ruby. I felt the fear/terror she felt every time her captor was there. He expected her to behave in a normal manner at times. This in my opinion was part of his delusion. This book starts off with our favorite detective finding a body buried on the beach, then later two more. She knows it isn't a coincidence. This serial killer was more terrifying to me. He kept his victims for prolonged periods of time and even after they were dead he kept their loved ones believing things were okay because they received text messages from them. That scared me realizing that this could and has happened in our present time.
When Helen discovers Ruby Sprackling has disappeared she is sure that Ruby has fallen victim to this same serial killer. She is determined to do everything in her power to make sure Ruby comes home. I found myself often holding my breath. There is so much tension in this book. If you haven’t read this series I would suggest you pick this series up and get started. ( )
  skstiles612 | Feb 21, 2016 |
Wat als je ergste nachtmerrie werkelijkheid wordt?
Aan het eind van een onrustige nacht lag Ruby te woelen in haar bed.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,141,809 books! | Top bar: Always visible