Stick and Stone by Beth Ferry

Stick and Stone (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Beth Ferry (Author)

Stick and Stone are both lonely until Pinecone's teasing causes one to stick up for the other, and a solid friendship is formed.
Member:MalloryPadilla
Title:Stick and Stone
Authors:Beth Ferry (Author)
Info:Clarion Books (2015), Edition: Illustrated, 48 pages

Work Information

Stick and Stone by Beth Ferry (2015)

Loved the illustrations. Read as a possible addition to a cyberbullying unit in my Pop Culture Studies class. Love the play on words with the "sticks and stones" adage, turning stick and stone into lovable protagonists instead of weapons of words. Would be a good discussion starter for what does it mean to befriend someone who might not be like you, or just how to come to someone else's defense when you see them being picked on. ( )
  ms_rowse | Jan 1, 2022 |
"Stick's on a search / for maple or birch. / He can't wait to see / his family tree." Stick and Stone venture into the forest, where they get lost and are rescued by their old frenemy Pinecone. Safe at home, Stick concludes, "I guess I won't find my family tree," to which Stone responds, "Stick! ...Your family's ME!"

The message here seems to be that friends are the family you choose for yourself; I wonder if it will resonate with adoptive families, as well.

For me, the endpapers steal the show: several incarnations of Stick sport different leaves, all labeled: Spruce, Mimosa, Chestnut, Cherry, Cottonwood, Cypress, White Pine, Birch, Ginkgo, Dogwood, Redbud, and more. ( )
  JennyArch | Dec 13, 2021 |
This books is really good because it is a simple book that teaches about friendship and sticking up for others. ( )
  Sarahthomp | Apr 17, 2021 |
This book is for primary students who are just starting to read. Each page has only a few words.

This book is about a stick and a stone. They are alone until they find one another. They become best friends and then there is a store and stick gets blown away. Stone looks all day and all night but cannot find him. He looks a little longer and finally finds stick. They are super happy because they get to be friends again.
This book was cute. It was very simple and would be best if used for children when learning to read. This is a book that students can enjoy the pictures while also learning to read very simple words. I would have this on my book shelf for my young students to read. ( )
  julia.rexine | Mar 15, 2021 |
A sweet story about friendship and nature. ( )
  CynthiaMackey | Jun 11, 2020 |

Beth Ferryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lichtenheld, TomIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Chris, my rock. - B.F.
To my cohorts from The Valley Forge -- friends for life. - T.L.
Stick. Stone. Lonely.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,323,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible