Marley and Me by John Grogan

Marley and Me (original 2005; edition 2006)

by John Grogan

Member:kisforkrista
Title:Marley and Me
Authors:John Grogan
Info:HODDER & STOUGHTON (2006), Hardcover, 304 pages

Marley & Me by John Grogan (2005)

English (327)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  All (2)  All (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  All (338)
When you are young and in love, everything seems like a new adventure. So when newlyweds John and Jenny Grogan moved to Florida to begin their life together everything was going as planned. Then came Marley, a cute, cuddly, and wiggly puppy full of boundless energy. This rambunctious pup soon grew up to be nearly one hundred pounds. Obedience school was a joke, and there was just no stopping the antics Marley would get into.

Although he stirred up plenty of trouble, Marley’s heart was in the right place. He was a loyal and faithful companion even during the young couple’s most challenging times. Is it possible for a mere dog to teach humans a lesson or two about life? Check out this book to discover the joys and trials of being a pet owner.

The Bottom Line: This quick read made me laugh and cry over and over again. Marley reminded me so much of the dogs that have been a part of my life over the years. Reading about Marley's bond with John and Jenny will make you look at your own pet with new eyes. Author John Grogan is a gifted storyteller. This humorous and touching story is very enthusiastically recommended for teens and adults who enjoy books about animals, humor, and memoirs.

For the complete review including Book Club Notes, please visit the Mini Book Bytes Book Review Blog. ( )
  aya.herron | Apr 28, 2018 |
I really liked this story--humorous and tugged at the old heartstrings. Not a literary masterpiece but just a good memoir of a guy and his dog. ( )
  songbird72 | Feb 25, 2018 |
I saw the movie a few years ago and it made me cry because I had had to put down my own dog (a black lab/collie mix) not long before that. This book hit me hard in the feels. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
Rating: 4 Stars

I read this book quite a few years so I don't remember a whole lot about it. But I do know that it was a great story, I laughed, I cried. It was amazingly touching book.

More detailed review upon rereading! ( )
  ne.may97 | Jan 1, 2018 |
In memory of my father, Richard Frank Grogan, whose gentle spirit infuses every page of this book
In the summer of 1967, when I was ten years old, my father caved in to my persistent pleas and took me to get my own dog.
...the expression on his face gave him away. It almost screamed out, Good God, man! For the sake of future generations, we must contain this genetic mistake at all costs!
I had quickly reverted to my premarriage (read: slovenly) lifestyle. By the power vested in me as the only adult in the house, I suspended the Married Couple Domesticity Act and proclaimed the once banished Bachelor Rules to be the law of the land. While Jenny was in the hospital, shirts would be worn twice, even three times, barring obvious mustard stains, between washes; milk could be drunk directly from the carton, and toilet seats would remain in the upright position unless being sat on.
As with so many of his misdeeds, this one was not malicious or pre-meditated. It wasn’t as though he had disobeyed a command or set out to intentionally humiliate me. He simply had to go and he went. True, at the wrong place and the wrong time and in front of all the wrong people. I knew he was a victim of his own diminished mental capacity. … The dog was defective. How could I hold that against him?
Marley was a funny, bigger-than-life pain in the ass who never quite got the hang of the whole chain-of-command thing. Honestly, he might well have been the world’s worst-behaved dog. Yet he intuitively grasped from the start what it meant to be man’s best friend.
Marley taught me about living each day with unbridled exuberance and joy, about seizing the moment and following your heart. He taught me to appreciate the simple things – a walk in the woods, a fresh snowfall, a nap in the shaft of winter sunlight. And as he grew old and achy, he taught me about optimism in the face of adversity. Mostly, he taught me about friendship and selflessness and, above all else, unwavering loyalty.

John and Jenny were young and in love, with a perfect little house and not a care in the world. Then they brought home Marley, a wiggly yellow furball of a puppy - and their life would never be the same. Marley quickly grew into a barreling, ninety-seven-pound steamroller of a Labrador Retriever who crashed through screen doors, drooled on guests, stole women's undergarments, devoured couches and fine jewelry, and was expelled from obedience school. Yet Marley's heart was pure, and he remained a steadfast model of love and devotion for a growing family through pregnancy, birth, heartbreak, and joy, right to the inevitable goodbye.
Witty tribute to
Marley, beloved pet and
worst dog in the world.
(passion4reading)

The heartwarming and unforgettable story of a family in the making and the
wondrously neurotic dog who taught them what really matters in life

John and Jenny were just beginning their life together. They were young and in love, with a perfect little house and not a care in the world. Then they brought home Marley, a wiggly yellow furball of a puppy. Life would never be the same.

Marley quickly grew into a barreling, ninety-seven-pound streamroller of a Labrador retriever, a dog like no other. He crashed through screen doors, gouged through drywall, flung drool on guests, stole women's undergarments, and ate nearly everything he could get his mouth around, including couches and fine jewelry. Obedience school did no good Marley was expelled. Neither did the tranquilizers the veterinarian prescribed for him with the admonishment, "Don't hesitate to use these."

And yet Marley's heart was pure. Just as he joyfully refused any limits on his behavior, his love and loyalty were boundless, too. Marley shared the couple's joy at their first pregnancy, and their heartbreak over the miscarriage. He was there when babies finally arrived and when the screams of a seventeen-year-old stabbing victim pierced the night. Marley shut down a public beach and managed to land a role in a feature-length movie, always winning hearts as he made a mess of things. Through it all, he remained steadfast, a model of devotion, even when his family was at its wit's end. Unconditional love, they would learn, comes in many forms.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:44 -0400)

The story of a family in the making and the wondrously neurotic dog who taught them what really matters in life. Is it possible for humans to discover the key to happiness through a bigger-than-life, bad-boy dog? Just ask the Grogans.--From publisher description.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,585,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible