Marley and Me by John Grogan

Marley and Me (original 2005; edition 2006)

by John Grogan

Member:kisforkrista
Title:Marley and Me
Authors:John Grogan
Info:HODDER & STOUGHTON (2006), Hardcover, 304 pages

Marley & Me by John Grogan (2005)

English (331)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (342)
I sometimes get hassled by people who assume that I don't like dogs. This is untrue. What I don't like are undisciplined dogs, whose owners seem to think that destructive, dangerous, or disruptive behavior is somehow cute. And since the title character in this book embodies two out of three of those qualities, I'm not overly enthusiastic about it.

Yes, there's some redemption toward the end, when the dog has become embedded in the writer's family. But overall, in the real world, having a pet like Marley would be an unending source of annoyance to me. Choosing to share that annoyance vicariously by reading this book was probably not my best reading choice. ( )
  LyndaInOregon | Dec 14, 2018 |
This book has it all, it's filled with cute moments to the ones that make you cry. I had originally picked this up because it was so popular, but because I love dogs too. I didn't except to enjoy it as much as I did, but it is fantastic. There were parts where I cried and that doesn't happen a lot. Marley and Me is a memoir in which it details the experience of bringing a dog home and raising him. ( )
  theasianbookclub | Nov 21, 2018 |
I have had this on my TBR for so long - should I read it in 2019?
  InnahLovesYou | Nov 16, 2018 |
This book was very well written and very engaging. It is especially endearing to dog lovers or just pet lovers in general. Especially those who have dealt with difficult but lovable pets.

Grogon does a great job of creating a memorable memoire that shows how Marley affected every day of his family’s life. Part of this is how Marley, despite being very difficult, always contributed to the well-being of the family and was very loved and loved his people in return.

This book brought back fond memories for me of a difficult dog my husband and I adopted a few years after we married. This sweet girl of ours was trouble but ended up being the best dog we’d ever owned and was a faithful and protective companion for my son.

Anyone with difficult pets will get a laugh (and probably a cry) out of this book. Be warned the last couple chapters are tough especially if you’ve gone through losing a pet to the ailments of old age. However, the book ends on a hopeful note.

Overall this was a very engaging and well done memoir about pets. I enjoyed it a lot and would recommend to those who have dealt with difficult pets in the past or just like reading about pets in general. ( )
  krau0098 | Jun 15, 2018 |
Marley & Me is a touching book overall. I have to agree with some of the criticisms that have been raised in regards to John Grogan's behavior when it came to Marley. There were certain taboos in dog training that he broke, but dwelling on those is to miss the overall point of the story. Every dog owner has had times when their dog has raised all hell, and it is those times that the book truly celebrates. It is only by having a bad dog that one can really realize the hilarity that comes from unfortunate circumstances.

I'd recommend this book (and the film that came from it) to any dog-owners in my life. It put a smile on my face, in particular the filming scenes. Lighthearted summer reading, though the ending did tear me up a good deal. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
In memory of my father, Richard Frank Grogan, whose gentle spirit infuses every page of this book
In the summer of 1967, when I was ten years old, my father caved in to my persistent pleas and took me to get my own dog.
...the expression on his face gave him away. It almost screamed out, Good God, man! For the sake of future generations, we must contain this genetic mistake at all costs!
I had quickly reverted to my premarriage (read: slovenly) lifestyle. By the power vested in me as the only adult in the house, I suspended the Married Couple Domesticity Act and proclaimed the once banished Bachelor Rules to be the law of the land. While Jenny was in the hospital, shirts would be worn twice, even three times, barring obvious mustard stains, between washes; milk could be drunk directly from the carton, and toilet seats would remain in the upright position unless being sat on.
As with so many of his misdeeds, this one was not malicious or pre-meditated. It wasn’t as though he had disobeyed a command or set out to intentionally humiliate me. He simply had to go and he went. True, at the wrong place and the wrong time and in front of all the wrong people. I knew he was a victim of his own diminished mental capacity. … The dog was defective. How could I hold that against him?
Marley was a funny, bigger-than-life pain in the ass who never quite got the hang of the whole chain-of-command thing. Honestly, he might well have been the world’s worst-behaved dog. Yet he intuitively grasped from the start what it meant to be man’s best friend.
Marley taught me about living each day with unbridled exuberance and joy, about seizing the moment and following your heart. He taught me to appreciate the simple things – a walk in the woods, a fresh snowfall, a nap in the shaft of winter sunlight. And as he grew old and achy, he taught me about optimism in the face of adversity. Mostly, he taught me about friendship and selflessness and, above all else, unwavering loyalty.

John and Jenny were young and in love, with a perfect little house and not a care in the world. Then they brought home Marley, a wiggly yellow furball of a puppy - and their life would never be the same. Marley quickly grew into a barreling, ninety-seven-pound steamroller of a Labrador Retriever who crashed through screen doors, drooled on guests, stole women's undergarments, devoured couches and fine jewelry, and was expelled from obedience school. Yet Marley's heart was pure, and he remained a steadfast model of love and devotion for a growing family through pregnancy, birth, heartbreak, and joy, right to the inevitable goodbye.
Witty tribute to
Marley, beloved pet and
worst dog in the world.
(passion4reading)

The heartwarming and unforgettable story of a family in the making and the
wondrously neurotic dog who taught them what really matters in life

John and Jenny were just beginning their life together. They were young and in love, with a perfect little house and not a care in the world. Then they brought home Marley, a wiggly yellow furball of a puppy. Life would never be the same.

Marley quickly grew into a barreling, ninety-seven-pound streamroller of a Labrador retriever, a dog like no other. He crashed through screen doors, gouged through drywall, flung drool on guests, stole women's undergarments, and ate nearly everything he could get his mouth around, including couches and fine jewelry. Obedience school did no good Marley was expelled. Neither did the tranquilizers the veterinarian prescribed for him with the admonishment, "Don't hesitate to use these."

And yet Marley's heart was pure. Just as he joyfully refused any limits on his behavior, his love and loyalty were boundless, too. Marley shared the couple's joy at their first pregnancy, and their heartbreak over the miscarriage. He was there when babies finally arrived and when the screams of a seventeen-year-old stabbing victim pierced the night. Marley shut down a public beach and managed to land a role in a feature-length movie, always winning hearts as he made a mess of things. Through it all, he remained steadfast, a model of devotion, even when his family was at its wit's end. Unconditional love, they would learn, comes in many forms.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:44 -0400)

The story of a family in the making and the wondrously neurotic dog who taught them what really matters in life. Is it possible for humans to discover the key to happiness through a bigger-than-life, bad-boy dog? Just ask the Grogans.--From publisher description.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,587,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible