Marley & Me: Life and Love with the…

Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog (original 2005; edition 2005)

by John Grogan (Author)

The story of a family in the making and the wondrously neurotic dog who taught them what really matters in life. Is it possible for humans to discover the key to happiness through a bigger-than-life, bad-boy dog? Just ask the Grogans.--From publisher description.
Member:dharding
Title:Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog
Authors:John Grogan (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2005), Edition: 1st, 291 pages

Marley & Me by John Grogan (2005)

English (334)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (345)
To anyone who has every had a cherished pet -- you must read this book. It is so great! I cried my eyes out the last 30 pages but what a wonderful story about a crazy dog and the family he loves. ( )
  rlsova | Oct 29, 2019 |
Having owned a dog I was familiar with somethings that happened in this book. I found the book entertaining and at times a little boring at times. Some of the antics that Marley got into had me laughing. I actually pictured my sister's dog. I knew this dog would have a sad ending and since I had to put my dog down this year it made me remember her last few days. If you have never owned a dog you will still enjoy this book. ( )
  crazy4reading | Jul 14, 2019 |
I have had this on my TBR for so long - should I read it in 2019?
  InnahLovesYou | Apr 18, 2019 |
Oh my goodness, what a wonderful dog book! I loved it! Marley is funny and galumphingly endearing. Great story, all true, so of course have a hankie handy for the last couple of chapters :-( ( )
  GoldieBug | Mar 26, 2019 |
I sometimes get hassled by people who assume that I don't like dogs. This is untrue. What I don't like are undisciplined dogs, whose owners seem to think that destructive, dangerous, or disruptive behavior is somehow cute. And since the title character in this book embodies two out of three of those qualities, I'm not overly enthusiastic about it.

Yes, there's some redemption toward the end, when the dog has become embedded in the writer's family. But overall, in the real world, having a pet like Marley would be an unending source of annoyance to me. Choosing to share that annoyance vicariously by reading this book was probably not my best reading choice. ( )
  LyndaInOregon | Dec 14, 2018 |
In memory of my father, Richard Frank Grogan, whose gentle spirit infuses every page of this book
In the summer of 1967, when I was ten years old, my father caved in to my persistent pleas and took me to get my own dog.
...the expression on his face gave him away. It almost screamed out, Good God, man! For the sake of future generations, we must contain this genetic mistake at all costs!
I had quickly reverted to my premarriage (read: slovenly) lifestyle. By the power vested in me as the only adult in the house, I suspended the Married Couple Domesticity Act and proclaimed the once banished Bachelor Rules to be the law of the land. While Jenny was in the hospital, shirts would be worn twice, even three times, barring obvious mustard stains, between washes; milk could be drunk directly from the carton, and toilet seats would remain in the upright position unless being sat on.
As with so many of his misdeeds, this one was not malicious or pre-meditated. It wasn’t as though he had disobeyed a command or set out to intentionally humiliate me. He simply had to go and he went. True, at the wrong place and the wrong time and in front of all the wrong people. I knew he was a victim of his own diminished mental capacity. … The dog was defective. How could I hold that against him?
Marley was a funny, bigger-than-life pain in the ass who never quite got the hang of the whole chain-of-command thing. Honestly, he might well have been the world’s worst-behaved dog. Yet he intuitively grasped from the start what it meant to be man’s best friend.
Marley taught me about living each day with unbridled exuberance and joy, about seizing the moment and following your heart. He taught me to appreciate the simple things – a walk in the woods, a fresh snowfall, a nap in the shaft of winter sunlight. And as he grew old and achy, he taught me about optimism in the face of adversity. Mostly, he taught me about friendship and selflessness and, above all else, unwavering loyalty.

John and Jenny were young and in love, with a perfect little house and not a care in the world. Then they brought home Marley, a wiggly yellow furball of a puppy - and their life would never be the same. Marley quickly grew into a barreling, ninety-seven-pound steamroller of a Labrador Retriever who crashed through screen doors, drooled on guests, stole women's undergarments, devoured couches and fine jewelry, and was expelled from obedience school. Yet Marley's heart was pure, and he remained a steadfast model of love and devotion for a growing family through pregnancy, birth, heartbreak, and joy, right to the inevitable goodbye.
Witty tribute to
Marley, beloved pet and
worst dog in the world.
(passion4reading)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,721,746 books! | Top bar: Always visible