Marley & Me: Life and Love with the…

Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog (original 2005; edition 2008)

by John Grogan (Author)

Series: Marley

The story of a family in the making and the wondrously neurotic dog who taught them what really matters in life. Is it possible for humans to discover the key to happiness through a bigger-than-life, bad-boy dog? Just ask the Grogans.--From publisher description.
Member:lpowersEng1
Title:Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog
Authors:John Grogan (Author)
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2008), Edition: Reprint, 320 pages
Collections:CHS Books

Work Information

Marley & Me by John Grogan (2005)

English (348)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (360)
Pretty good dog story and very emotional at the end. I don't think I could have kept such a "loopy" dog myself. It would have cost too much in damages! It's well-written though and highlights the good qualities of a loyal and loving dog, despite the problems.

I had a small dog once that had to take obedience three times before it started to stick! A friend of mine has a part lab-pit bull that I have sort of adopted recently. Dogs are great, if they are treated right. Some breeds need a lot of time and attention. ( )
  kslade | Dec 8, 2022 |
Great book, as expected. And also as expected, totally made me cry in the end. ( )
  MBTC | Jul 9, 2022 |
My daughter and I read this book together, taking turns reading chapters. It's hilarious, heartwarming, and sad at different turns. My daughter got choked up during the last couple of chapters, but she pushed through to read to the end.

A great book for dog lovers and people lovers too! ( )
  AngelaLam | Feb 8, 2022 |
I listened to the abridged version read by the author. It was funny, thought provoking and sad at the end. As with all books that have had media satuaration it took some of the joy out of it, but I am glad I took to time to read it. It is a "must read" for a serious pet owner--those of us who keep multiple (3 ) animals, hard-to-train, or medically animals. I've had all three and could tell some Marley stories of my own. God bless the Grogan's for loving Marley and writing the book. ( )
  nab6215 | Jan 18, 2022 |
In memory of my father, Richard Frank Grogan, whose gentle spirit infuses every page of this book
In the summer of 1967, when I was ten years old, my father caved in to my persistent pleas and took me to get my own dog.
...the expression on his face gave him away. It almost screamed out, Good God, man! For the sake of future generations, we must contain this genetic mistake at all costs!
I had quickly reverted to my premarriage (read: slovenly) lifestyle. By the power vested in me as the only adult in the house, I suspended the Married Couple Domesticity Act and proclaimed the once banished Bachelor Rules to be the law of the land. While Jenny was in the hospital, shirts would be worn twice, even three times, barring obvious mustard stains, between washes; milk could be drunk directly from the carton, and toilet seats would remain in the upright position unless being sat on.
As with so many of his misdeeds, this one was not malicious or pre-meditated. It wasn’t as though he had disobeyed a command or set out to intentionally humiliate me. He simply had to go and he went. True, at the wrong place and the wrong time and in front of all the wrong people. I knew he was a victim of his own diminished mental capacity. … The dog was defective. How could I hold that against him?
Marley was a funny, bigger-than-life pain in the ass who never quite got the hang of the whole chain-of-command thing. Honestly, he might well have been the world’s worst-behaved dog. Yet he intuitively grasped from the start what it meant to be man’s best friend.
Marley taught me about living each day with unbridled exuberance and joy, about seizing the moment and following your heart. He taught me to appreciate the simple things – a walk in the woods, a fresh snowfall, a nap in the shaft of winter sunlight. And as he grew old and achy, he taught me about optimism in the face of adversity. Mostly, he taught me about friendship and selflessness and, above all else, unwavering loyalty.

John and Jenny were young and in love, with a perfect little house and not a care in the world. Then they brought home Marley, a wiggly yellow furball of a puppy - and their life would never be the same. Marley quickly grew into a barreling, ninety-seven-pound steamroller of a Labrador Retriever who crashed through screen doors, drooled on guests, stole women's undergarments, devoured couches and fine jewelry, and was expelled from obedience school. Yet Marley's heart was pure, and he remained a steadfast model of love and devotion for a growing family through pregnancy, birth, heartbreak, and joy, right to the inevitable goodbye.
Witty tribute to
Marley, beloved pet and
worst dog in the world.
(passion4reading)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,450,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible