Marley & Me: Life and Love with the…

Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog (original 2005; edition 2008)

by John Grogan

Series: Marley

The story of a family in the making and the wondrously neurotic dog who taught them what really matters in life. Is it possible for humans to discover the key to happiness through a bigger-than-life, bad-boy dog? Just ask the Grogans.--From publisher description.
Member:mrspeabody
Title:Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog
Authors:John Grogan
Info:Harper (2008), Edition: Rep Mti, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages

Marley & Me by John Grogan (2005)

English (344)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (356)
Amusing story about an over-frisky Labrador retriever and the family which loved him. Presented as true stories and life experiences, Marley grows from a puppy to an aged but loyal pet. Pet owners reading this book may question the dogs training and behaviors, but the family learned to accept Marley and his ways, and until the inevitable sad ending, you should find yourself smiling as you read of the loveable dogs exploits. ( )
  rsutto22 | Jul 15, 2021 |
Cute story about love for a dog and life. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Nonfiction; dog ownership. decent dog story, if you can manage to not let it get ruined by the likes of Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston (actually, not having seen the movie, I kept picturing Matt McConnaughey and Jennifer--that didn't help either). A bit sappy at the end, as you might expect. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Li este livro na adolescência. E chorei. Tal como o Dumbo traumatizou-me na infância, nunca mais quero ler este livro. Nunca mais. ( )
  masomaro | Jun 24, 2021 |
It's been awhile since I read this, but I remember it being both humorous and heart-touching. ( )
  LGCullens | Jun 1, 2021 |
In memory of my father, Richard Frank Grogan, whose gentle spirit infuses every page of this book
In the summer of 1967, when I was ten years old, my father caved in to my persistent pleas and took me to get my own dog.
...the expression on his face gave him away. It almost screamed out, Good God, man! For the sake of future generations, we must contain this genetic mistake at all costs!
I had quickly reverted to my premarriage (read: slovenly) lifestyle. By the power vested in me as the only adult in the house, I suspended the Married Couple Domesticity Act and proclaimed the once banished Bachelor Rules to be the law of the land. While Jenny was in the hospital, shirts would be worn twice, even three times, barring obvious mustard stains, between washes; milk could be drunk directly from the carton, and toilet seats would remain in the upright position unless being sat on.
As with so many of his misdeeds, this one was not malicious or pre-meditated. It wasn’t as though he had disobeyed a command or set out to intentionally humiliate me. He simply had to go and he went. True, at the wrong place and the wrong time and in front of all the wrong people. I knew he was a victim of his own diminished mental capacity. … The dog was defective. How could I hold that against him?
Marley was a funny, bigger-than-life pain in the ass who never quite got the hang of the whole chain-of-command thing. Honestly, he might well have been the world’s worst-behaved dog. Yet he intuitively grasped from the start what it meant to be man’s best friend.
Marley taught me about living each day with unbridled exuberance and joy, about seizing the moment and following your heart. He taught me to appreciate the simple things – a walk in the woods, a fresh snowfall, a nap in the shaft of winter sunlight. And as he grew old and achy, he taught me about optimism in the face of adversity. Mostly, he taught me about friendship and selflessness and, above all else, unwavering loyalty.

John and Jenny were young and in love, with a perfect little house and not a care in the world. Then they brought home Marley, a wiggly yellow furball of a puppy - and their life would never be the same. Marley quickly grew into a barreling, ninety-seven-pound steamroller of a Labrador Retriever who crashed through screen doors, drooled on guests, stole women's undergarments, devoured couches and fine jewelry, and was expelled from obedience school. Yet Marley's heart was pure, and he remained a steadfast model of love and devotion for a growing family through pregnancy, birth, heartbreak, and joy, right to the inevitable goodbye.
Witty tribute to
Marley, beloved pet and
worst dog in the world.
(passion4reading)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,329,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible