When a Scot Ties the Knot

by Tessa Dare

Series: Castles Ever After (3)

On the cusp of her first London season, Miss Madeline Gracechurch was shy, pretty, and talented with a drawing pencil, but hopelessly awkward with gentlemen. She was certain to be a dismal failure on the London marriage mart. So Maddie did what generations of shy, awkward young ladies have done: she invented a sweetheart. A Scottish sweetheart. One who was handsome and honorable and devoted to her, but conveniently never around. Maddie poured her heart into writing the imaginary Captain MacKenzie letter after letter . . . and by pretending to be devastated when he was (not really) killed in battle, she managed to avoid the pressures of London society entirely. Until years later, when this kilted Highland lover of her imaginings shows up in the flesh. The real Captain Logan MacKenzie arrives on her doorstep—handsome as anything, but not entirely honorable. He's wounded, jaded, in possession of her letters . . . and ready to make good on every promise Maddie never expected to keep.… (more)

I loved this book. It was so funny and cute and wonderful. ( )
  ChelseaVK | Dec 10, 2021 |
2nd read- an original premise, sweet, and humorous. The relationship and feelings are well developed. And it's all around enjoyable. ( )
  JorgeousJotts | Dec 3, 2021 |
My favorite by Tessa Dare by far. I got many odd looks from my husband while cracking up laughing during the first few chapters.

Loved this book. ( )
  Cerestheories | Nov 8, 2021 |
I'm only halfway but I don't think something will change enough to change my mind about this book.

The male main character rubs me all kinds of wrong. He's forceful and doesn't listen to her. Two things that never should go together. (it's not a noncon) He crosses her boundaries without permission.

Also and maybe this sounds a bit weird. I couldn't get out of our time line. When reading a Regency I like to get 'transported' there. To that time. The good books makes this an effortless journey. But this one... I just couldn't let go of my values, perspective and ideas of my time. While all I wanted to do was to go there (I said this would sound weird).

So the things that bugged me in this book are the same things based on my experiences in my time. And maybe it's not fair (I know it isn't) but this book never managed to make me forget that.

But I can see why someone else would like this. ( )
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
I was completely prepared to hate both of these characters. I am glad I ended up loving them. Mostly. I'd like to see some side stories for the Captain's men, though. ( )
  ladypembroke | Jun 24, 2021 |

Tessa Dareprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rose, CarmenReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Bren
Because one does not simply write a novel. Your friendship is precious to me.
September 21, 1808

Dear Captain Logan MacKenzie,

On the cusp of her first London season, Miss Madeline Gracechurch was shyly pretty and talented with a drawing pencil, but hopelessly awkward with gentlemen. She was certain to be a dismal failure on the London marriage mart. So Maddie did what generations of shy, awkward young ladies have done: she invented a sweetheart.

A Scottish sweetheart. One who was handsome and honorable and devoted to her, but conveniently never around. Maddie poured her heart into writing the imaginary Captain MacKenzie letter after letter … and by pretending to be devastated when he was (not really) killed in battle, she managed to avoid the pressures of London society entirely.

Until years later, when this kilted Highland lover of her imaginings shows up in the flesh. The real Captain Logan MacKenzie arrives on her doorstep—handsome as anything, but not entirely honorable. He’s wounded, jaded, in possession of her letters… and ready to make good on every promise Maddie never expected to keep.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,131,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible