Vinyl Cafe Diaries by Stuart McLean

Vinyl Cafe Diaries (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Stuart McLean (Author)

Series: Vinyl Cafe (4)

Why is Morley skulking around with a man named Frank on the eve of her 40th birthday? What grisly secret is Stephanie hiding in her father's picnic cooler? And exactly what is Dave doing by himself in a Halifax hotel room with a duck? In the pages of the Vinyl Cafe Diaries, humorist Stuart McLean answers these questions and reveals more strange, shocking, and above all, entertaining truths about the seemingly ordinary folk of the Vinyl Cafe.… (more)
Member:dttocs
Title:Vinyl Cafe Diaries
Authors:Stuart McLean (Author)
Info:Viking Canada (2003), 272 pages
Tags:box0001

Vinyl Cafe Diaries by Stuart McLean (2003)

Faithful listeners of the Vinyl Cafe on CBC Radio will recognize these stories but I bet even they will still enjoy them. Dave and Morley and their kids each have a section of the book and introduce their section (well Morley doesn't really have time to but it works out anyway). If you haven't been introduced to Dave and Morley it's high time you were. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 11, 2017 |
A collection of short stories about music store owner Dave, his wife Morley and their kids, Stephanie and Sam. In "Lazy Lips", Dave is asked to give a speech about music to a university class, a predicament that takes over his life for weeks, causes enormous anxiety, and results in the weirdest performance the students have ever experienced. "A Night to Remember" has Dave filling in at a babysitting job when Stephanie gets sick, with the children seeing Dave as their opponent. In "No Tax on Truffles", young Sam discovers the world of exotic foods and spends his own money on a pre-ordered truffle at the local gourmet shop. He counts down the days until he can finally receive his expensive truffle, as his father has told him that truffles are the most delicious chocolate. ( )
  mstrust | Apr 20, 2017 |
Summer of 2004 while visiting and living on Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia, CA, I became a fan of CBC Radio http://www.cbc.ca/listen/index.html and especially a program called The Vinyl Cafe http://www.cbc.ca/vinylcafe/ This year's Christmas stocking contained a couple of Stuart McLean's books (Thanks Mom-in-law and Annette); tales taken from his humorous radio broadcasts where often Dave gets himself deeper and deeper into often predictable but still hilarious situations. Because I have listened to several Vinyl Cafe broadcasts, as I read the stories I hear McLean's voice and his uncanny timing and delivery. McLean's books are a fast read . . . (lj) ( )
  eduscapes | Apr 21, 2010 |
It's hard to be disappointed by McLean's stories. Funny, incisive, honest and unpretentious, they aim to touch the heart and sometimes include a friendly little moral to remind the reader to enjoy life. The Afterword which explains how the characters got their names was a nice touch. Always an enjoyable moment to spend with one of Canada's favourite families. ( )
  Cecilturtle | Jul 18, 2009 |
I liked the way this book was divided into four parts - one for each member of the family. You don't hear a lot about Stephanie and Sam, so it was fun to read about them. I really liked Dave & the Duck; Christmas on the Road; and Rashida, Amir and the Great Gift-Giving. Morley's "thoughts" were also great. ( )
  janeycanuck | Jul 25, 2006 |

Belongs to Series

The job of the artist is always to deepen the mystery. Francis Bacon, 1909-1992
This one is for Dave and Morley
It's Thursday afternoon - 3:30. There is a courier scheduled to arrive in half an hour. If we are going to be precise, in twenty-nine minutes. They phoned me an hour ago and told me the book is at the printer and they have to have my contribution this afternoon. Or else. Actually they didn't use the words "or else," but they might as well have said "or else."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,534,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible