I Want You to Want Me

by Erika Kelly

Series: Rock Star Romance (2)

From the award-winning author ofYou Really Got Mecomes the next romance in her red-hot Rock Star Romance series, about a rocker who lives for his music-and loves with all his heart. Derek Valencia finally has the success he's worked so hard for. His band is touring its debut album and great reviews are rolling in. But when pictures of him tossing naked groupies off a balcony go viral, it's damage-control time. He's assigned a 'babysitter' whose sole job is to keep him out of trouble. Violet Davis swore she'd never work in the music industry again, but being a minder for a rock star will earn her enough to pay off her wildflower farm. And for a girl brought up in the foster care system, owning her own home means more to her than anything. Though at first the two bang heads, the rocker and the farm girl soon grow close and realize that they make sweet music together. But can a girl who craves the stability of life on a farm really make it work with a man whose life is spent on the road with his band? Praise forYou Really Got Me 'Lovable characters and pulse-pounding chemistry make this one of my favorite reads of the year!' Laura Kaye,New York Timesbestselling author… (more)

I keep trying these (okay, twice) and I don't know.

Violet is a minder. Not a sober companion, but a minder. And oof. Reading this book made me feel like my high school days when I'd go pick up my guy friends from their houses and their somewhat strict parents would visibly relax to let him go to some music festival for two days or on some road trip "Oh, Sam's going. Okay, that's fine. Yes, yes. See you in two days."

Guess what's not fun? Babysitting boys who are your age. Bigger than you, and drinking. Over the course of two days (I LOVE music ok, if you are wondering how I fell into this bullshit. I also love my friends. So that's that. And the person whose parent said the words above was my friend for like 10 years.).

Reading this book left me with that wiped out feeling. It's drama, it's work, it's exhausting and you leave it wondering just a little bit who you are because none of that two day concert marathon stuff is real. Did you actually connect on a genuine level or does it just end up being being hazily happy fuzzy around the edges. Seen through a fake filter. Who was real, what was real when you ate out of coolers and slept 4 to a hotel room, just making sure that everyone had enough water or didn't do something stupid. In the end we all end up safe, and some of it was luck, and more of it was me. I wouldn't have traded it then, but now I look back and think how much it took out of me. (see my flashing introvert sign?)

Having it be the heroine's job well, that is just that much worse. I guess reading this book felt kind of miserable. Because Derek gives off that vibe too. Like he's trying to manage everything and just cannot.

I didn't get a great sense of Derek, or maybe I just didn't like him that much. For multiple reasons. I did think Violet's story compelling and sweet. The grand gesture at the end was BLAHECH. Mommy and daddy issues galore. A heroine who asks after sex if 'she's different' A hero's whose internal monologue that tells us that yes she is.

I obviously enjoyed it enough. Parts of it were sexy even though the way she writes sex is weird "Honey soaked channel" anyone? Part of the journey felt compelling and real too--but in the end, it didn't give me warmth, and I just don't know if I can revisit this again (not to mention it takes a very special book/author to make me want be alongside an addict's journey)

So that's that. ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
4.5 stars ( )
  kbranfield | Feb 3, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,492,355 books! | Top bar: Always visible