Death By Coffee (2015)

by Alex Erickson

Series: Bookstore Café (1)

When Krissy Hancock and her best friend Vicki decide to open a bookstore cafU in their new town of Pine Hills, they decide to call it "Death by Coffee" after Krissy's father's most famous mystery novel. Little do they know how well the name fits... On their very first day of business, Brendon Lawyer huffily takes his coffee...to the grave. It seems he had a severe allergy to peanuts...but how could there have been nuts in his coffee? And who stole his emergency allergy medication? Fortunately, Krissy's love of puzzles and mysteries leads her not only to Officer Paul Dalton, but also to many of her new neighbors, who aren't terribly upset that the book is closed on Brendon. But one of them is a killer, and Krissy needs to read between the lies if she wants to save her new store--and live to see how this story ends...… (more)

Between the title name, the name of the series, and the cute fur face on the comfy chair surrounded by books on the cover how could I possibly resist reading this cozy? And that's about where my delight with the book started and ended.

Set in the little town of Pine Hills, Ohio, Krissy Hancock and girlfriend Vicki Patterson have opened a combination coffee shop/bookstore named after Krissy's father's most famous mystery novel, "Death by Coffee." It seemed as though every aspect of the premise of the cozy would be an absolute delight but I finished this cozy only because I kept thinking, "Maybe, I'll read just one more chapter" because surely it would get better. My answer is a simple and emphatic, "NO!"

I couldn't warm to the character of Krissy Hancock at all. Vicki must have had very sentimental remembrances of her long-time friend to think of inviting Krissy as her business partner. Whew! Vicki takes care of the bookstore and Krissy runs the coffee shop and thankfully there is a connecting doorway as Vicki is constantly covering for Krissy and is a very supportive friend. I couldn't believe it when Krissy decided she needed a "sick day" only a few days after they opened. I don't know any woman that would do that to another best friend and/or business partner. Krissy’s analysis as an amateur sleuth is simply not believable nor are her delusions of grandeur of being a town hero.

It simply wasn't the blend of coffee shop/bookstore I was hoping to read. I'll skip this series. ( )
  FerneMysteryReader | Apr 22, 2021 |
The MC was too much like "Eyore" as well as incredibly judgmental in her descriptions of other people. On top of that, even though she works in a book and coffee shop, she only handles the coffee side of things, and only mentions the books in passing. Lastly, she's clearly not a cat person.
  FortifiedByBooks | Jan 5, 2021 |
I tried. I tried and tried and desperately tried to make myself read this book. It was an ARC and I feel very guilty that I simply could not make myself read this.

People act in ways unlike real people, say things people wouldn't say, know things they couldn't and act in ways that the plot required them to.

I honestly couldn't believe anything that I was encountering.

If it makes it easier to skip my comments, I'll admit to only getting to page 73.
  James_Patrick_Joyce | Oct 24, 2020 |
Just no – not for me
I think this is the first time in a long time that I have been reading a book and thought “Who wrote this?” and not in a good way. The main character is totally annoying and her love interest (a cop) comes off as a wet blanket that lets anyone walk over them. Her best friend Vicki is a much more interesting character and I wanted to hear more about how Krissy and her became friends.

I couldn’t figure out why Krissy was so interested in the victim’s death. It wasn’t an interesting murder to me and I really didn’t care who killed the victim. Krissy was so intrusive in her investigation that I even I found her to be annoying. I can’t believe people told her anybody. I understand in cozies the main character is usually a nosy but Krissy was so blunt and rude in her questioning I didn’t like her at all.

The book was a quick read though. I finished on a flight in one setting. I was given the next two books in the series and I am not sure I want to even to attempt to read them.
  TVNerd95 | Jul 6, 2019 |
First in a series that I liked enough to keep reading it. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
This book was only ok for me. After reading and reading for this ending that they built up to, it ends up being totally anticlimactic. The big culprit in the book is pretty much the person you expect it to be. There is no twist or surprising plot in the least. Not only that but main character Krissy is obnoxious, presumptuous, lazy, irresponsible, inconsiderate, snotty and harassing. The character should have probably been thrown behind bars along with the murderer in fact for all the havoc she wreaked and raised sticking her nose where it didn’t belong and slandering people all about town and breaking in people’s property and trespassing multiple times. Beyond flagrant!

What’s worse is main character Krissy is also beyond judgmental and snotty towards others, mostly to a very nice woman who is a big fan of her book writer Dad. She cops so much attitude at this kind character Rita. As she narrates what’s on her mind, we’re exposed to what flabby disgusting arms Krissy views Rita as having. She goes into descriptive judgmental detail on ugly wrinkles and fat on characters.

What a rude thing to think to yourself when someone is being kind to you. Krissy regards this big fan of her Dad character, Rita, as annoying because of her respect for her Dad and then has the audacity to harass and hound and slander others in trying to solve a case she should not be bothering with and has nothing to do with.

Then she wonders why everyone wants to call the police on her behind. And there was way too much rambling on about the freaking cat and other trivial matters.

I also didn’t care for the way the main character Krissy leaves her daily job and all of her work relatedresponsibilities to her friend poor Vicki left alone all day to tend to a coffee shop.

On a regular basis, Krissy casually leaves in the middle or beginning of her workday or simple doesn’t show up for work at all to play detective about town or laze at home while her friend Vickie is left with all the duties and responsibilities of their business.

The killer was hardly a killer and was only acting in anger over a offense by the one killed. Too much of an annoying main character and too much of an anticlimactic plot line ruined this book for me.
added by tonster1986 | editDeath By Coffee

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,258,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible