The Maine Coon's Haiku and Other Poems for Cat Lovers

by Michael J. Rosen

Other authors: Lee White (Illustrator)

In evocative haiku, Michael J. Rosen depicts twenty different breeds of cats--whether mischievous or mysterious, comical or commanding.--

My two favorites:

Balinese

on the windowsill's
balance beam, the cat pirouettes
as the kibble pings

Abyssinian

curled up on your book
cat won't care what happens next
now's the only page

Otherwise pretty meh. (Keep in mind that given cats haiku, my expectation going in was = awesome. If your bar for the fun of cat poetry is a bit lower, you might like this a lot more.) ( )
  amyotheramy | May 11, 2021 |
sweet and lovely combination of cats and haiku/poetry ( )
  melodyreads | Aug 26, 2020 |
(Read for Poetry Discussion assignment) Very creative haikus about each different breed of cat (or as many as can fit in a picture book). Educates children on the variety of cat breeds as well as the haiku form. This can be an introduction to a class project on students creating haikus of their own, about their favorite animals.
  ZajiCox | Jun 6, 2017 |
The Maine Coon's Haiku: and Other Poems for Cat Lovers is a book with a lot of short Haiku's about cats. It has poems about the different kinds of cat their are like the Norwegian Forest Cat, and the British Shorthair cat, the Himalayan cat and many other different cats.

I really do not like cats personally, but if you are teaching haikus I think this is a great book to use. There are very good examples of Haikus all throughout the book.

I would use this book in my classroom as an example of haikus, and together as a class we can write one. We could also use this in a theme about pets.
  Kirsten05 | Apr 23, 2017 |
This would be a great book for children learning about poetry and specifically haiku. The illustrations do a beautiful job at bringing eat cat's personality and haiku to life.
  kmcfadden | Apr 11, 2017 |

Michael J. Rosenprimary authorall editionscalculated
White, LeeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,419,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible