Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Dead Key by D. M. Pulley

The Dead Key (original 2015; edition 2015)

by D. M. Pulley

Member:ohkamikaze
Title:The Dead Key
Authors:D. M. Pulley
Info:Thomas & Mercer, Kindle Edition, 477 pages
Collections:Read in 2012
Tags:to-read

The Dead Key by D. M. Pulley (2015)

I found it amazing that you could just shut down a bank and leave everything as it is for twenty years. That was a very interesting idea for a book. We get to follow Iris in the present time as she tries to unravel the bank's past and we also get to know Beatrice that worked at the bank in 1978, the year that the bank closed down. Slowly the mystery starts to unravel....

I liked the book, but I also find it sometimes a bit slow paced, not that it became boring. But it never really got me totally engrossed into the story. It was more my own willpower to read than the story that sometimes kept me going.

But still, it was interesting. I wanted to know how it all came to be that the bank closed down. But I had some problems with the main characters. I just couldn't connect to either of them. Sometimes you like one character better when it is two different storylines, but in this case, I just felt that both just didn't get to me. Frankly, the character that was most interesting was Maxine, Beatrice's friend.

It got a bit exciting towards the end when everything came together, but I was a bit disappointed about the ending. I turned the last page and that was it and I felt a bit let down.

But all and all it was a good read, the book was well written and the concept felt new.

I received this copy from the publisher through Netgalley and from TLC Book Tours in return for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
3.5 ( )
  anthonypuyo | Aug 12, 2018 |
2.5 stars This was an oddly enticing book for me. It's all mystery and no thriller, predictable but interesting enough to finish. This may be partly due to my current need for a book that demanded little analysis and introspection. It's been on my audio and ebook shelves for a long time, so for that reason I'm glad I've completed it.

The author follows two women's stories, one in 1978 and the other in 1998. Both are drawn into the mysteries of embezzlement and missing persons. One has had a tough life and yet remains impossibly naive, which I found hard to believe. The other is highly educated but doesn't seem to have much street smarts. This might annoy you, so be warned.

This is the author's first book, and when I read the acknowledgments I learned that much of the plot was informed by her previous career. I actually think that made the book better, thankfully. There was decent editing, but I felt the pace could have been increased and some subplots removed. Nearly 500 pages was somewhat longer than necessary.

All that said, this was a good way to spend a weekend where I wasn't feeling well and didn't want to think deeply. ( )
  TheBibliophage | Mar 20, 2018 |
2014 Winner ƒ?? Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award ƒ?? Grand Prize and Mystery & Thriller Fiction Winner Itƒ??s 1998, and for years the old First Bank of Cleveland has sat abandoned, perfectly preserved, its secrets only speculated on by the outside world. Twenty years before, amid strange staff disappearances and allegations of fraud, panicked investors sold Clevelandƒ??s largest bank in the middle of the night, locking out customers and employees, and thwarting a looming federal investigation. In the confusion that followed, the keys to the vaultƒ??s safe-deposit boxes were lost. In the years since, Clevelandƒ??s wealthy businessmen kept the truth buried in the abandoned high-rise. The ransacked offices and forgotten safe-deposit boxes remain locked in time, until young engineer Iris Latch stumbles upon them during a renovation survey. What begins as a welcome break from her cubicle becomes an obsession as Iris unravels the bankƒ??s sordid past. With each haunting revelation, Iris follows the looming shadow of the past deeper into the vaultƒ??and soon realizes that the key to the mystery comes at an astonishing price. ( )
  cdiemert | Jul 30, 2017 |
Iris’ first engineering job was to create plans for each floor in the old Bank of Cleveland building, which had been empty for 20 years, ever since it closed in 1978 for embezzlement and fraud. Though creeped out at the thought of working there alone, except for a security guard, Iris was ecstatic to have landed her first real engineering gig. Soon, Iris began to notice strange things about the bank. Not only did it have a secret entrance via an underground tunnel system, but each of the almost 1200 safe deposit boxes still contained their treasures, and all of the bank’s files were still in place.

When Iris finds a strange little key in a desk drawer, and finds out that the safe deposit boxes were never emptied due to a set of missing keys, her interest in the bank’s old secrets is piqued. However when she discovers a body and begins to gets closer to the events that caused the Bank to close, she soon finds out there are people willing to kill to keep their secrets uncovered.

Through the use of flashbacks to events from 1978 that led to 1998, Pulley keeps readers on the edge of their seats, as each puzzle piece of the mystery is unraveled. The surprise ending will be a shocker.

Recommended for Adults.

Book review link: https://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2017/06/17/the-dead-key-d-m-pulley/ ( )
  sunshinealma | Jun 17, 2017 |

It’s 1998, and for years the old First Bank of Cleveland has sat abandoned, perfectly preserved, its secrets only speculated on by the outside world.

Twenty years before, amid strange staff disappearances and allegations of fraud, panicked investors sold Cleveland’s largest bank in the middle of the night, locking out customers and employees, and thwarting a looming federal investigation. In the confusion that followed, the keys to the vault’s safe-deposit boxes were lost.

In the years since, Cleveland’s wealthy businessmen kept the truth buried in the abandoned high-rise. The ransacked offices and forgotten safe-deposit boxes remain locked in time, until young engineer Iris Latch stumbles upon them during a renovation survey. What begins as a welcome break from her cubicle becomes an obsession as Iris unravels the bank’s sordid past. With each haunting revelation, Iris follows the looming shadow of the past deeper into the vault—and soon realizes that the key to the mystery comes at an astonishing price.

1998. For years the old First Bank of Cleveland has sat abandoned, perfectly preserved. Twenty years before, amid strange staff disappearances and allegations of fraud, panicked investors sold the bank in the middle of the night, locking out customers and employees, and thwarting a looming federal investigation. In the confusion that followed, the keys to the vault's safe-deposit boxes were lost. When engineer Iris Latch stumbles upon them during a renovation survey, what begins as a welcome break from her cubicle becomes an obsession as she unravels the bank's sordid past-- and soon realizes that the key to the mystery comes at an astonishing price.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,496,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible