Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

First Casualty (Jump Universe Series Book 1)…

First Casualty (Jump Universe Series Book 1) (Ebook) (original 1999; edition 2013)

by Mike Moscoe (Author)

Member:dmaness
Title:First Casualty (Jump Universe Series Book 1) (Ebook)
Authors:Mike Moscoe (Author)
Info:Ace (2013), Edition: 1st, 330 pages
Tags:Science Fiction

The First Casualty by Mike Moscoe (1999)

It's not bad, but really confusing. I had a hard time keeping track of which of the many many characters were on which side (not helped by my confusion over the fact that Earth was converting merchantmen while the "colonists" had a standing Navy (not large, but more solid than Earth's, apparently)). And of course there were more than two sides... Some of the scenes looked rather familiar, after reading all the Kris Longknife books. And some of the shocks weren't so shocking, since I know what will become of the characters a good many years later. I like Matt and Mary quite a bit; I _dislike_ Ray Longknife quite a bit. Rita is rather a cipher (well, we never get her as a viewpoint character - only from Ray's viewpoint). There are also several word errors that threw me right out of the story - when a military superior accuses a man of "cowardism", it's...it makes me wonder if that's a special word. But I think it's just an error, along with several others of the same sort. Not bad, I'm not sorry I read it, but I doubt I'll bother to reread. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jun 3, 2017 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.com by express permission of this reviewer   Synopsis: A sequel series to Mike Shepherd's [aka Mike Moscoe, or vice versa] Kris Longknife series. Takes place during her Grandpa Troubles time and before humanity encounters the aliens. This is the battle between the inner planets and the diaspora.   My Thoughts: This was pretty much like the Kris Longknife series, just without all the whining. However, the sexual side of things was a bit more blatant.   On the positive side, the action was a bit more, the self-indulgent rants didn't exist and there were no references to non-existent boobs or hips. Lord, that last one alone made this one book better than the whole KL series.   Looking forward to the rest of the books in this trilogy. ps, Leafmarks didn't have this book in their system, period. I tried title, author, isbn and asin. So I'm done with them for a couple of months or a year, if they survive that long.

ETA 7.25.14
Now in the system AND I'm a librarian.   Rating: 3 of 5 Stars Author: Mike Moscoe " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Just reread this after enjoying 11 or so Kris Longknife books. Not a bad start to the universe. ( )
  gregandlarry | Sep 19, 2015 |

Asteroid miner Mary Rodrigo and freighter owner Mattim Abeeb are green draftees of the Society of Humanity, forced to fight for Earth—a planet they’ve never even seen.

Major Ray Longknife and his lover, Senior Pilot Rita Nuu, are career soldiers, invested with the cause of the Unity Party—and its ambitious new president.

These four soldiers on opposing sides of the battle are about to discover the true nature of this terrible war: a quest for profit—from the high command of both sides. What they will risk is nothing less than their lives. For although truth may be the first casualty of war, it’s not going to be the last…

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,489,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible