Who Was Frederick Douglass?

by April Jones Prince

Other authors: Robert Squier (Illustrator)

Series: Who Was ...? (85)

Presents the life of the man who escaped slavery in Maryland to become a speaker and writer for abolition and the rights of African Americans and women, focusing on his childhood and youth as a slave.

This children's book is very well thought out and explains Frederick Douglass's life. It starts out with his humble beginnings as a salve in Maryland. He was born in 1818, where it was a time of slavery and discrimination. This book is a very lengthy one however, it is very say to read and comprehend. I would say that the students would need to have a good background history for what slavery is, thought book does explain it. The book continues with Frederick being re-stationed in Baltimore to another slave owning family, all the way up to his great escape from slavery. The book talks about when Frederick moved north, and found his love for sharing his story. He realized his story of being a slave was powerful to the white conservatives of the North. he began speaking all around the world, until slavery had been abolished and he became a US marshal of the District of Columbia. Overall, I feel the author covered the true life of Frederick Douglass in an easy and entertaining way! ( )
  jnoone | Jan 29, 2019 |
This book will serve as the place keeper for

Who Was: Heroes of Black History: Frederick Douglass; Harriet Beecher Stowe; Underground Railroad; Jackie Robinson; Rosa Parks; Nelson Mandela

Thoughts: With the climate of the United States right now and the emotional toll it's taken on me I've decided that it is not the right time for me to listen to this. What I've heard so far (Frederick Douglass, Nelson Mandela and part of Rosa Parks) has been well written and communicated on a level I think anyone can understand.
  bookjunkie57 | Jul 22, 2016 |
This book is about a slave named Frederick Douglass. When he was younger, he was beaten by his first master but set free by his second master. After he was set free, he started doing work like shining shoes and traded bread to white kids who taught him to read and write. When he got older he gave speeches about slavery in New York, which white men were not happy about (they threw bricks and rotten eggs at him). He moved to England where he published the North Star a newspaper working to end slavery.

I like this book because it is interesting how one person can work to change the United States. It is intriguing the life that Fredrick Douglass had because he started as a slave and became free. I recommend this book to anyone who likes history. ( )
  IanF8 | Nov 2, 2015 |

April Jones Princeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Squier, RobertIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,460,678 books! | Top bar: Always visible