Enchanted Air: Two Cultures, Two Wings: A…

Enchanted Air: Two Cultures, Two Wings: A Memoir (edition 2015)

by Margarita Engle (Author)

In this poetic memoir, which won the Pura Belpré Author Award, was a YALSA Nonfiction Finalist, and was named a Walter Dean Myers Award Honoree, acclaimed author Margarita Engle tells of growing up as a child of two cultures during the Cold War. Margarita is a girl from two worlds. Her heart lies in Cuba, her mother's tropical island country, a place so lush with vibrant life that it seems like a fairy tale kingdom. But most of the time she lives in Los Angeles, lonely in the noisy city and dreaming of the summers when she can take a plane through the enchanted air to her beloved island. Words and images are her constant companions, friendly and comforting when the children at school are not. Then a revolution breaks out in Cuba. Margarita fears for her far-away family. When the hostility between Cuba and the United States erupts at the Bay of Pigs Invasion, Margarita's worlds collide in the worst way possible. How can the two countries she loves hate each other so much? And will she ever get to visit her beautiful island again?… (more)
Member:KevinVMurdock
Title:Enchanted Air: Two Cultures, Two Wings: A Memoir
Authors:Margarita Engle (Author)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2015), Edition: Illustrated, 208 pages

Enchanted Air: Two Cultures, Two Wings: A Memoir by Margarita Engle

Engle shares a memoir of her first 14 years in the United States during the Cold War as a Cuban- American. Engle conveys through poetic verse how she grappled with two cultures, travel bans, acceptance, and patriotism. Contents, Cold War Timeline, Author’s Note, Excerpt from Simple Verses
  NCSS | Jul 23, 2021 |
Enchanted air tells the story of Margarita Engle, she is the daughter of a Cuban woman and an American man. She enjoys traveling back and forth between Cuba and the states, however, when the revolution begins in Cuba she is no longer able to return to see her grandma. This book tells about her feelings and emotions about, "Someday, surely I'll be free/to return to the island of all my childhood/dreams." This book would be best for third through fifth-grade students and would be great for a history lesson about the Cuban Revolution!
  Elliemangan | Mar 9, 2021 |
I loved this book. It had been recommended to me by a fellow library employee, who told me that she also had loved it and there was so much to think about. True, I had to try to read it slowly as the writing was beautiful and so thoughtful, but also a great story. Engle captures Cuban history with rich storytelling so well. I kept trying to think of Mom/daughter friends to share this with. ( )
  EllenH | Jan 15, 2021 |
This story is about a girl who grows up with two different cultures during the time of the Cold War. This girl is heartbroken when the two places she loves the most are at war with each other. How will her future end up? What will happen to her family? I highly recommend this book to all people. This book shows a great way to look into the lives of those who are born of different cultures. ( )
  StephanieEHoover | Nov 20, 2020 |

Margarita Engleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rodriguez, EdelIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Que facil es volar, que facil es!

Todo consiste en no dejar que el suelo

se acerque a neusteros pies.

Valiente hazana, el veulo!, el veuelo!, el vuelo!

How easy it is to fly, how easy!

It's all done by never allowing the ground

to come close to our feet

Brave deed, flight, flight, flight!

-Anontio Machado, Poema 53
For my parents, who took me traveling, and my sister, who shared the adventures, and for the estimated ten million people who are currently stateless as the result of conflicts all over the world
When my parents met, it was love at first sight.
The first time my parents / take me soaring through the magical sky / to meet my mother's family in Cuba, / I am so little that I can hardly speak / to my island relatives- / my abuelita, my old grandma, / who still loves to dance, / and her ancient mama, my great-grandma, / who still loves to garden, working / just as hard as any strong / young man.
There's something about knowing

world.

(p. 128)
My Library Life

Books become my refuge.

Reading keeps me hopeful.

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

from Nigeria

Nectar in a Sieve by Kamala Markandaya

from India.

I never find any books

about the beautiful green

crocodile-shaped island

that throbs

at the center of my being,

like a living creature,

half heart

and half beast.

(p. 129)
Cave Paintings

In Spain, we venture underground

into the mystery of prehistoric art.

Bison, horses, human handprints.

Herds of wild feelings

long extinct.

(p. 175)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,235,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible