The French Beauty Solution: Time-Tested…

by Mathilde Thomas

"Cofounder of the international beauty company Caudalie shares the simple, natural, time-tested beauty secrets she learned growing up in France that any woman can use to look younger, healthier, and more radiant without harsh products or drastic procedures. When Mathilde Thomas moved from her native France to the United States to expand her skin-care company, Caudalie, she wanted to find out what American women wanted from their beauty routines. She interviewed thousands of women and was struck by how different the French and American approaches to beauty were. American women are all about the quick fix-the elusive product or procedure that will instantly solve a nagging beauty problem, even if it hurts, is wildly expensive, or is damaging in the long term. The French, by contrast, approach beauty as an essential and pleasurable part of the day, a lifelong and active investment that makes you look and feel good. Mathilde used these insights to turn Caudalie into one of America's top beauty brands. Drawing on her company's twenty years of scientific skin-care expertise backed by the research of doctors and dermatologists-as well as the beauty secrets she learned growing up on a vineyard in Bordeaux-The French Beauty Solution covers everything from how to use natural ingredients such as oil and honey to wash your face; what foods to eat for healthier hair, skin, and nails; and the amazing properties of grapes and grapeseed oil. She also introduces an easy three-day grape cleanse that European aristocrats have been using to detox for hundreds of years. Blending stories, science, DIY recipes, and tons of savoir faire, The French Beauty Solution is the last beauty regimen you'll ever need."--… (more)
Member:TheNovelWorld
Title:The French Beauty Solution: Time-Tested Secrets to Look and Feel Beautiful Inside and Out
Authors:Mathilde Thomas
Info:Avery (2015), Hardcover, 272 pages
Rating:*****

The French Beauty Solution: Time-Tested Secrets to Look and Feel Beautiful Inside and Out by Mathilde Thomas

This sounded like a great idea when I was looking at it on the library’s website, but when it showed up on the hold shelf and I saw that it included a “detox diet” my spirits sagged. I didn’t want quackery, I wanted time-tested advice on simple beauty habits. There were some of those, and I have to hand it to the author for not simply recommending her own desperately expensive products as the answer to everything (I also didn’t know about that bias before I put a hold on the book) so it wasn’t a complete loss. ( )
  sterlingfink | Sep 5, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thomas is the founder of the Caudalie company which sells beauty products. I find it amazing that she and her husband started the company from basically nothing but a scientific theory! I also appreciated her straightforward approach to beauty advice and have followed through on some of her suggestions for myself. But, you need to take this book with a grain of salt as she is, obviously, plugging her company's products throughout. ( )
  DFED | May 16, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found the information and perspectives on skin care to be very interesting and engaging. I changed some aspects of my skincare routine as a result and I am so far happy (no magic results, but I continue to not have significant aging on my face, which I'll consider a success). The writing was enjoyable for a light nonfiction book.

The only aspect of the book that I was not into was the end section about food and eating... the over emphasis on eating grapes and other very specific foods doesn't seem right to me. ( )
  monamie | Jan 24, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In the final reel of the movie, Trading Places, our comedic heroes have a satisfied exchange: "Looking good, Billy Ray!" "Feeling good, Louis!" The same exchange neatly summarizes Mathilde Thomas' beauty philosophy. Beauty is inner directed. One's regimen should be a pleasure to accomplish, not a tedious chore. If one takes joy in taking care of oneself, then beauty becomes easier to attain. Some would say this is a relatively simplistic approach, covered in any number of books. Nevertheless, it is a sentiment which certainly bears repeating. Thomas does expand on this, with sections of hair, skin, etc.

She also focuses on a more holistic, DIY approach with recipes for creating one's own care products. This is particularly welcome to people who, through personal desire or skin sensitivities, want to avoid chemicals. I'm not certain this approach is particularly French, however, having seen such recipes in American beauty magazines. The perceived superiority of French women's beauty (child rearing/cooking) has certainly reached a (questionable) fevered pitch. Thomas is a little less condescending towards her US readers when making cultural comparisons than I've seen elsewhere.

As a fair warning, the author makes repeated references to her line of skin care products, which can be seen as self-advertising. I personally didn't find it objectionable, but thought other readers might want to know before purchasing the book. ( )
  michigantrumpet | Jan 15, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am not usually a non-fiction reader, but I really enjoyed this book. The tone was conversational and without any air of superiority (I was a little worried about that initially, given the cultural differences between the French and Americans and the misinterpretations that can arise from that). I plan to tryout some of the tips that were given, especially around diet, and see if they can work for me. ( )
  danielle_burnette | Jan 13, 2016 |

Thomas shares simple, natural, time-tested beauty secrets she learned growing up in France that any woman can use to look younger, healthier, and more radiant without harsh products or drastic procedures.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Mathilde Thomas's book The French Beauty Solution was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,087,292 books! | Top bar: Always visible