The Case of the Sin City Sister by Lynne…

The Case of the Sin City Sister

by Lynne Hinton

"When Eve's biological sister goes missing, the nun heads to Las Vegas to track her down before it's too late. Years ago, Eve heard God's call to become a nun, but her recent stint moonlighting at her father's detective agency invigorates her so much that she's wrestling with her vocation. She's working with him on a case involving a miner in New Mexico when alarming news develops: her sister Dorisanne is missing. The authorities won't act without evidence of a crime, but Eve knows something suspicious -- and possibly deadly -- is afoot. Challenged to put her newfound gifts as a PI to the test, Sister Eve heads west to Las Vegas to uncover clues about her sister's whereabouts. What nefarious scheme has Dorisanne become involved in? Is her life in danger? And what is Dorisanne's estranged husband hiding? Sister Eve will discover there's always more going on in Sin City than meets the eye"--… (more)

Not a procedural. Not a romance. No denominational proselytizing. No gore or erotica.
Welcome to a cozy mystery that is not sappy. There are several mysteries: the disappearance of a miner at the end of the 19th century, a suspicious disappearance of the protagonist's sister in present time, and the resolution of a crisis of vocation within the protagonist. Stir in an ex cop PI (the father of the women), the feds, the inveterate Harley rider, Vegas bad guys, and the client who brought in the 100+ year old family cold case. The two time periods are skillfully woven together and make for an engaging read with a bit of a philosophy lesson added in. I enjoyed it enough to read it in one day (got half a sock done!). ( )
  jetangen4571 | Mar 23, 2016 |
Sister Evangeline Divine (pronounced de-VEEN) is unable to reach her biological sister Dorisanne, she’s worried and heads to Las Vegas, where her sister lives. On leave from her convent while she contemplates leaving the order, her private detective father and Daniel, a policeman who’s a family friend, worry about whether she can handle herself in “sin city.” So Daniel comes along.

The more Eve and Daniel learn in Las Vegas, the more worried they become. It appears that Dorisanne and her unreliable husband Robbie may be in big trouble with loan sharks. And the duo is also concerned about Dorisanne’s neighbor Pauline, who is obviously being beaten by her boyfriend.

On the home front, Eve’s dad deals with a client who wants to find out what happened to a distant relative who traveled to New Mexico in the late 1800s to find turquoise.

This is a sweet little series – this is the second mystery featuring Sister Eve. She’s smart in most ways, but hopelessly naïve about the ways of the outside world. And she’s finding this detective thing more and more interesting. The series has great secondary characters, and an interesting premise to build future stories on. ( )
  NewsieQ | Jul 13, 2015 |
Title: The Case of the Sin City Sister
Author: Lynne Hinton
Website: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lynne-Hinton-Books/136657626365278
Pages: 336
Year: 2015
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
My rating is 5+ out of 5 stars
When I read the prior book, Sister Eve Private Eye, I knew I had found a writer with possibility of further novels. As I found out recently The Case of the Sin City Sister was being released, I couldn’t wait to see what the main character Sister Eve was going to do next, live in the convent or become a partner with her father as a private investigator. In the first book, readers will read about an interesting mystery but more so the family dynamics of the Divine family.
Here, the story starts out focusing on Sister Eve then begins to focus on a case where a man wants to learn about what happened to his great-grandfather. Eve also begins to sense that her younger sister is in trouble, but cannot pinpoint the reason why she feels that danger is lurking for Dorisanne.
I don’t want to divulge too much about the story’s path or plot because for me the book was so spell-binding and enjoyable I don’t want to ruin any reader’s joy in the novel by revealing any spoilers. I sat and read it in a single night as there was such mystery and tension in the characters lives and the case Sister Eve was working on, simply mesmerized me!
It was cute in some places how Sister Eve would assess a clue or something about a person that would simply astound the background players into silence. The friction between Eve and her father isn’t as tense as in book one, but now they are more compatible even tolerant because they are so much alike. I hope the author plans on writing more mysteries with these Divine characters because each one has their own internal questions that have yet to be put to rest.
So grab a novel, sit back and be prepared to be glued to the pages as Sister Eve and her love of Harleys will keep you turning pages until the conclusion!
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/. Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | May 4, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,195,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible