No Time Like the Past by Jodi Taylor

No Time Like the Past (2015)

by Jodi Taylor

Series: The Chronicles of St Mary's (5)

I really liked this continuation of the series! It felt more put together and less all over the place than the last one. I liked all the adventures they went on and how the relationships between the characters progressed. ( )
  jdifelice | Oct 12, 2018 |
I think this is my favourite of the series so far. ( )
  daisy_may | May 30, 2018 |
The reader can be assured that in reading any book in the Chronicle of St. Mary's series that straightforward time travel jaunts are anything but easy. During the 5th book, the series' protagonist Madeleine Maxwell ("Max") and St. Mary's gang find themselves traveling to the past to the Great Fire of London to save historical artifacts from being destroyed and to the Battle of Thermopylae, a major conflict between an alliance of Greek city states and the Persians under Xerxes. If these sites were not troublesome enough, Max must struggle with rogue time-travelers and her continuing romance with Leon "Chief" Farrell.

I have heard that the latest edition will be released in April 2018. Since this series is my guilty pleasure I will be picking this one up. ( )
  John_Warner | Mar 25, 2018 |
No Time Like the Past - Taylor
Audio performance by Zara Ramm
4 stars

This was more like it. The crew at St. Mary’s hops to some interesting historical settings; a 17th century St. Mary’s Priory, the great fire of London, Renaissance Italy, and best, best of all, Thermopylae. Max, Peterson, and Markham gave me a true appreciation for Leonidas and his Spartans. Tragedy and comedy balance each other throughout the book which has a charmingly romantic ending for Max and Leon. ( )
  msjudy | Apr 28, 2017 |
The time-travelling historians at St. Mary's are back, this time with Max finding herself going back in time in multiple locations and trying not to, well, mess up history. Markham sees a ghost that no one else sees, and hijinks ensue after they observe history playing out not exactly the way it was handed down in the books. They're only meant to observe, but Max has a way of getting involved no matter how she tries not to.

This wasn't my absolute favorite, mostly because you're pulled from one time jump to another and I felt like this book had a little less continuity than some of the tighter plotted entries in the series. Still, I really enjoy any time spent with Madeleine Maxwell and her compatriots. They are fun and they make me laugh and enjoy the ride, and there's really little else I can ask from a book. ( )
  bell7 | Apr 11, 2017 |

Jodi Taylorprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ramm, ZaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the best bunch of loyal and enthusiastic an author could ever wish for. St. Mary's thanks you for your support and encouragement over the past four Chronicles. This, the fifth book, is dedicated to all of you.
It always seemed strange to me that a building as old as St Mary's should have no ghost. (Prologue)
Another all-staff briefing from Dr. Bairstow.
The cold winter sunshine streamed through the newly restored glass lantern above [Dr. Bairstow] as he surveyed his unit with the expression of an impatient vulture waiting for a dying wildebeest to get a move on. (Chapter One)
The History Department sighed. As did I. Yes, there [Miss Lee] was, two rows along, her short dark hair waving around her head, just like Medusa's snakes, but slightly more intimidating. She turned her Gorgon stare on the History Department, who promptly shut up. (Chapter One)
[Dr. Bairstow:] "Please draw up ideas and suggestions for recruiting and more importantly, retaining suitable personnel. Please do not construe this instruction as permission to roam the streets with nets and ropes, offering people the King's shilling. Attempts to retain future trainees by nailing them to their own desks will be discouraged"

[Dr. Peterson:] "You are imposing unreasonable restrictions, sir, but I will do my best." (Chapter One)

St. Mary's has been rebuilt and it's buisness as usual for the History department. But first, there's the little matter of a seventeenth-century ghost that only Mr. Markham can see. Not to mention the minor inconvience of being trapped in the Great Fire of London...and an unfortunately-timed comfort break at Thermopylae leaving the fate of the western world hanging in the balance. Re-join Max's madcap journey through time in Jodi Taylor's fifth inter-dimensional instalment "No Time Like the Past" --from the cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,557,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible