SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for…

Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Ashlee Vance (Author)

Elon Musk, the renowned entrepreneur and innovator behind SpaceX, Tesla, and SolarCity, sold one of his internet companies, PayPal, for $1.5 billion. Ashlee Vance captures the full spectacle and arc of the genius's life and work, from his tumultuous upbringing in South Africa and flight to the United States to his dramatic technical innovations and entrepreneurial pursuits. Vance uses Musk's story to explore one of the pressing questions of our age: can the nation of inventors and creators who led the modern world for a century still compete in an age of fierce global competition? He argues that Musk is an amalgam of legendary inventors and industrialists including Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, Howard Hughes, and Steve Jobs. More than any other entrepreneur today, Musk has dedicated his energies and his own vast fortune to inventing a future that is as rich and far-reaching as the visionaries of the golden age of science-fiction fantasy.… (more)
Member:subjectdelta
Title:Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future
Authors:Ashlee Vance (Author)
Info:Ecco (2015), Edition: 1st, 400 pages

Work Information

Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future by Ashlee VANCE (2015)

English (48)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (50)
Secara keseluruhan bagus sih, jadi kagum sama Elon Musk :) ( )
  ekayounita | Jun 20, 2021 |
One of few sane people left on Earth. ( )
  mat631001 | Jun 19, 2021 |
It's weird to read so much science fiction, then read a biography that sounds like it would work there as well. Somehow Elon Musk has stayed off my radar -- I don't how. His past and present have intersected with many interests of mine, from Paypal, SpaceX, Solar City and Tesla, yet I've never looked into the man himself.

Reading this was like reading the backstory of Tony Stark (Iron Man) -- even to the point where Robert Downey Jr met with Musk to help flush out the character. His rise with Paypal, his management style and lack of personal empathy over action show how he's put productivity and his goals ahead of any kind of personal relationships. With the recent successes of Tesla and SpaceX, I'm looking forward to see what he does next. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
If you ever wondered what’s the deal with Elon, this is the book for you! I would say one of the great minds of the time, with very ambitious goals that he will stop at nothing to achieve... the book gives you an idea on how he came to be involved in and successful at two of mankind’s most challenging technologies, electric cars with Tesla and manned space flight with SpaceX. This book really gives you a behind the scenes look at Elon and can also get you excited about the future. Very up to date with the latest news being a successful return of the Crew Dragon capsule and the next step being crewed flights... ( )
  sjh4255 | May 4, 2021 |
Now that Musk is the wealthiest person in the world, I'm sure many people are reading this book. That said, I picked it up for a different reason—that I'm President of the Board of a visionary startup.

Last year I read Isaacson's biography of Jobs, and learned a lot about the business culture of Apple. This book does the same for Zip2, X.com, SpaceX, and Tesla. It also was published at an ideal time in Musk's trajectory; after he'd established all of his major enterprises, but before he's come into quite the limelight he's in now. So although Tesla and SpaceX have come a long ways since this book was published, Vance accurately predicted this course.

Like Jobs, Musk is not a caring person. Some say that the media was unduly harsh to Musk's enterprises in their early days, and yet I think this is a direct result of Musk's personal characteristics. He isn't the kind of person that you wish well for; he has bad karma. His relentlessness and rationalism detract from his ability to be a humanist. Musk has accomplished a lot, and it has come with massive interpersonal and cultural debts. To use the language of Tyson Yunkaporta, Musk is a narcissist, in that he believes that his conviction and vision for the future is more important than those around him. This ties in perfectly with the superhero inventor ethos of the USA—an ethos I have by no means entirely escaped—and, we should have the cultural humility to recognize that it is because of this narcissism that we have condemned the earth.

To take this from another perspective, Musk's vision of Mars as a "backup plan" for humanities belies his subconscious understanding that humanity is failing to live up to its responsibility to be a steward of planet earth. As the carbon market Nori has spoken to, this creates massive moral hazard. The big banks took so many risks in the 2000s in part because they knew that the federal government would bail them out if they failed. Mars creates the same risk here. Sometimes it is better to "burn the ships" as Cortez is lored to have done, as it creates a commitment that is impossible when we have the option to eject.

In the language of Greg Grandin, Musk is the epitome of the colonial frontiersman, the contemporary poster boy of Manifest Destiny. Musk's vision to colonize Mars is no different than the European vision of colonizing the America's; and history will someday see Musk as just as much a villain as Columbus. In the ebullience of the moment, in the midst of all this shiny technology, it is easy to dismiss Musk's compromised ethos, and I'll step into some of that attitude for the remainder of this post.

The engineer in me has an admiration for Musk's inventiveness and aesthetic. After exiting Zip2, Musk bought a McLaren F1—one of the most iconic supercars of all time, and a decade ahead of everything else of its era.

What are the management pointers can we learn from Musk?
- Speed creates exponential advantage
- Dominance in a resegmented market is based upon low prices
- Vertical and horizontal integration support with both of these factors ( )
  willszal | Mar 28, 2021 |

VANCE, Ashleeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
MUSK, ElonAssociated Namemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Sanders, FredNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Le Séac'h, MichelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mum and Dad. Thanks for Everything.
"Do you think I'm insane?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,363,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible