His Wicked Reputation

by Madeline Hunter

Series: Wicked Trilogy (Book 1)

Gareth Fitzallen is celebrated for four things: his handsome face, his notable charm, his aristocratic connections, and an ability to give the kind of pleasure that has women begging for more. Normally he bestows his talents on experienced, worldly women. But when he heads to Langdon's End to restore a property he inherited--and to investigate a massive art theft--he lays plans to seduce a most unlikely lady. Eva Russell lives a spinster's life of precarious finances and limited dreams while clinging to her family's old gentry status. She supports herself by copying paintings while she plots to marry her lovely sister to a well-established man. Everyone warns her of Gareth's reputation, and advises her to lock her sister away. Only it is not her sister Gareth desires. One look, and she knows he is trouble. One kiss, however, proves she is no match for this master of seduction.… (more)

good story though a little predictable - I'll probably read the third one since I went out of order and read the second first and then the first ( )
  afarrington | Nov 18, 2017 |
I like to read one of these bodice-rippers every now and then to clear my head. This was interesting but very far-fetched. Gareth is incredible lover and desired by many of the societies bored married women. He is the illegimate son of a duke but is on friendly terms with his half brothers. While travelling by horse to visit a property left to him he meets Eva walking and they shortly become friends and later lovers. She is a 23 yr old sprinster with the responsibility of a teenage sister. Her secret is she forges great works of art to support them. He is looking for missing artwork. ( )
  Kathy89 | Jun 3, 2017 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: The bastard and the spinster…will they be able to figure out who stole the art before it costs them everything?

Opening Sentence: “It was well past noon when the maid delivered the breakfast tray to Hendrika’s opulent bedroom.”

The Review:

Eva is a spinster who is trying to keep her sister afloat with her painting when she meets Gareth for the first time. Gareth has returned home after his half-brother’s shocking death, only to discover there is a bigger issue going on. Someone has stolen a large number of paintings. Eva knows Gareth is trouble the first time she lays on him, and despite the warnings to lock up her sister; she soon finds that Gareth has no interest in Rebecca. He only has eyes for Eva…and that means trouble!

Eva returns from a trip to find someone in her house going through everything. It soon becomes clear that the thief Gareth is looking for, has something to do with why her paintings and house were destroyed. Together they embark on the journey to find out what is going on, and hopefully Eva can keep from being seduced by Gareth while accomplishing that. Can Eva keep from falling in love with a known rake?

Gareth and Eva were interesting couple, they were almost polar opposites, except that clearly Eva has a bit of a wild side. Initially I thought he would be kind of a rich lord, falling for a genteel but impoverished lady, however while he was better off than her, he was also a bastard. So in a bit of a twist it was actually her lowering her standards by being with him. I really used to enjoy historical romances, and I do still enjoy them from time to time. This one was pretty good, I liked the main characters, their chemistry was good and the story was good. The mystery aspect was kind of like second thought and not as well done as it could have been. I only say that because I have been reading a ton of mystery/thrillers lately, so I really expect a lot from that kind of storyline.

Reading this book was a very pleasant way to pass the afternoon, and I am looking forward to reading the other two books. They will be featuring Gareth’s brother’s, although they are Lords so I will get a taste of the Lord and his lady.

Notable Scene:

“Weeping, she dropped to her knees and began gathering the old silks and shoes that held the scents of her childhood from long ago. Even the destruction of her paintings did not hurt as much as this. A murderous rage took hold of her. She held the dresses to her and cried out her anger and frustration. Gareth knelt beside her. He took the clothes from her hands, folded them carefully, and placed them back in the trunk. “I do not like the idea of your living here alone.” “It is my home.” She wiped her eyes with her hand. “I’ll be dammed if I will be driven out.”

FTC Advisory: Jove/Penguin provided me with a copy of His Wicked Reputation. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Sep 15, 2016 |
Opinião completa em http://pepitamagica.blogspot.pt/2015/12/especial-natal-livro-his-wicked.html

Eva é uma artista bastante boa, que só é reconhecia pelas suas cópias de grandes obras (mesmo assim não recebe quase dinheiro nenhum por elas). Gareth é um homem da nobreza que lida com arte e colecções privadas. Era praticamente impossível não se cruzarem quando Gareth se muda para a mesma pequena vila que Eva.
(...)
Gostei particularmente que Gareth não duvidasse de Eva, que acreditasse nela, no matter what - já ando um bocado farta de livros em que o problema que impede o happy ending são as eternas desconfianças e traições- mesmo quando tudo poderia indicar o contrário. E porquê? Novamente porque eles são mais que amantes, ou apaixonados, são amigos que desenvolveram uma confiança mútua devido às suas acções.
(...)
Para terminar, porque custa-nos escrever mais sobre os livros que gostamos do que sobre os que não gostamos, foi um livro rápido, querido e amoroso, com amizade, amor, quadros roubados, mistério (que nós acabamos por resolver rapidamente, mas mesmo assim), todos os ingredientes que fazem deste livro uma história a reler. Ah, e já referi que vamos ter as histórias dos irmãos de Gareth? Só para vos aguçar a curiosidade, já comecei também o segundo livro, em breve deverei ter mais novidades :) ( )
  Joana_v_v | Feb 9, 2016 |
Gareth, the bastard brother of the Duke of Aylesbury, has been asked to search for missing art work that had been stored away from the coast in fear of a French invasion. During his search he learns that the new Duke has rescinded the dispute on property his late father left to him. Since he wants to restore it and it is where he is searching for the art work, he makes it his base. Unfortunately it has been burgled but Eva, a neighbor and one of the thieves, asks that people who took things from it bring it back. He meets her as he almost runs her over the first time he is in the neighborhood. She is trying to keep her family's estate and ensure her sister marry well by selling copies of paintings stored in Gareth's new home. She does not tell him what she is doing. He is attracted to her but she is not his typical type. So why does he keep going back to her?

I loved Eva. She is spunky and speaks her mind. She is able to explore her curiosity while keeping the gossip down. Gareth is fun. He does not have to behave like the Ton since he is the bastard son. He loves helping Eva explore. The two together are wonderful.

The secondary characters are colorful. I cannot wait for the other brothers' stories. The townsfolk around Eva's home are an interesting lot. Some who have taken Gareth's property return it under cover of night. Some work for him. All have nothing but good to say of Eva. Some also betray.

I loved this first book of her new series and anxiously await the next installment. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Apr 26, 2015 |

Madeline Hunterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wells, Mary JaneReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blackstone Audio, Inc.Publishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

It was well past noon when the maid delivered the breakfast tray to Hendrika's opulent bedroom.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,618,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible