dismiss

Put Up Your Duke

by Megan Frampton

He was once happily bedding and boxing, but in the newest Duke's Behaving Badly novel, Nicholas Smithfield has inherited a title and a bride . . . To keep his estate afloat, the new Duke of Gage must honor an agreement to marry Lady Isabella Sawford. Stunningly beautiful, utterly tempting, she's also a bag of wedding night nerves, so Nicholas decides to wait to do his duty--even if it means heading to the boxing saloon every day to punch away his frustration. Groomed her whole life to become the perfect duchess, Isabella longs for independence, a dream that is gone forever. As her husband, Nicholas can do whatever he likes--but, to Isabella's surprise, the notorious rake instead begins a gentle seduction that is melting every inch of her reserve, night by night . . . To his utter shock, Nicholas discovers that no previous exploits were half as pleasurable as wooing his own wife. But has the realm's most disreputable duke found the one woman who can bring him to his knees-- and leave him there?… (more)

All the books in this series by Megan Frampton have been such lighthearted fun reads. The only word I can think of to describe this latest installment is "cute" from beginning to end.

It is possible to read this book as a standalone as we don't have any characters reappearing from the earlier books (other than one brief mention). We have moved away from the fallen women of the Quality Employment Agency, and our heroine here is Lady Isabella Sawford, daughter of an earl, who has been taught to be perfect. A perfectly composed ice queen. But while Isabel is perfect on the outside, her imperfections are just bursting at the seams to be let out. She desperately wants to be a "real" person, but she doesn't know who she is or how to do that. Luckily, fate smiles on her, and a perfectly imperfect duke is trapped into marrying her. I enjoyed following Isabella's journey from a dishwaster miss to stating what she wants and when she wants it.

Nicholas Smithfield inherits the title of duke very unexpectedly. At the time he inherits, he is best known around the ton for his ability to love the ladies. He also considers himself a pugilist and can be found trading punches almost daily. So he was not prepared for his new obligations, particularly when discovering one of those obligations was a betrothal tied to the title. Nicholas was charming and funny, and it was entertaining to watch this ladies man get flustered around his virginal wife.

Even though the couple here is thrown together in marriage very early on, we don't have an instalove situation. The romance unfolds sweetly and builds throughout the entirety of the story. If you like a happy, so-sweet-your-teeth-ache love story, then you will enjoy this book.

I received an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. 4 stars / 3 flames. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
It may be because I was reading from an e-galley, but this one had too much bad grammar and awkward phrasing for me to thoroughly enjoy the story and characters. ( )
  BillieBook | Mar 1, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,278,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible