Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Because of Winn-Dixie (edition 2015)

by Kate DiCamillo (Author)

Member:jatighue
Title:Because of Winn-Dixie
Authors:Kate DiCamillo (Author)
Info:Candlewick (2015), Edition: Reprint, 208 pages
Collections:5th-6th Grade Readers, 3rd-4th Grade Readers, Contemporary Realistic Fiction, Chapter Books
Rating:*****
Tags:friendship, dogs, adventures

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

English (462)  Japanese (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All (465)
Because of Winn-Dixie is a wonderful story about a young girl named Opal who just recently moved to Florida and cannot seem to make any friends. Once day, she finds a stray dog who she names Winn-Dixie and adopts. Opal and Winn-Dixie become companions and best friends. Winn-Dixie creates all kinds of trouble that actually end up creating different relationships between Opal and various characters, thus giving Opal friends in her new home town. The main theme or idea in this book is the theme of friendship and love. Opal experiences love and friendship throughout the story and it is all because of Winn-Dixie. I would recommend this book for young readers to read and enjoy because it is a great story that gives children who might also be struggling to make friends hope for the future. ( )
  jatighue | Apr 16, 2018 |
It was about a girl named Opal and her father. She moved states and goes to a supermarket and comes across a dog. The dog wasn't very pretty but that didn't stop Opal. Winn-Dixie, which was the dog's name, helps her make friends and grow in herself. They meet interesting people that tell them stories and inspire them. Opal through the book learns friendship, forgiveness all because of Winn-Dixie.
  beccaholtz | Apr 4, 2018 |
This book is about a girl and a dog who become best friends. The young girl, Opal moved to a new own where she had no friends. Her mother had left her at a young age and she was feeling pretty lonely. Until she met a stray dog. Opal and the stray dog became best friends and her and her father keep the dog and name him Winn-Dixie. Winn-Dixie helps Opal meet friends and become a little less lonely in the world. He helps for the better. One day, Opal decides to throe a party where she even gets the courage to invite the kids who tend to bully her and others. During the part, a storm comes and freaks Winn-Dixie out. After the storm, he's missing causing Opal and her dad to search for him. Losing Winn-Dixie cause Opal to get really sad about her mom leaving her. It teaches her though that her mom is not coming back but her dad tells her that he will always be there to support her. She finally accepts that she was going to live a life without her mother. She learns that she loves her mother and always will, but she doesn't feel empty about it anymore. After all of this, they find Winn-Dixie hiding under the bed. He had never even left the house. This book highlighted the lesson of friendship and how it can be found n the most unexpected places. I think it's a great book to teach students about hw important friendships is in life. This book also highlighted an important theme about family and forgiveness. It teaches the reader how forgiveness can help one to move on and have a better life. I think forgiveness is an important aspect of a young child's life. Overall, I found this book really good and I think young students would enjoy it. ( )
  KatelynPoore | Apr 2, 2018 |
I read this aloud to my 5- and 7-year-old daughters at bedtime. We all loved it. I liked the story. There were some parts that I thought were a little "dark" for my girls, but most of the story was light-hearted. There were several times they laughed out loud. I was afraid that hearing about how Opal's mother left her would make my girls too sad, but they did okay with it. My 5-year-old was sure the mom was going to come back at the end of the book, and was disappointed when she didn't. I self-edited the poor grammar as I read. I have no doubt that the language is true to the characters' geography and culture, but I just could not read bad grammar to my young daughters. So I changed it as I read it. I was pleasantly surprised with this book as we tried reading Despereaux and disliked it so much we abandoned it. Thought I would give DiCamillo another try, and I'm glad I did. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
I loved reading this book because I think it was very different from books I have read previously. The main character, Opel, is growing up without a mom and a father who isn't around very often and makes an unlikely friend. The main theme throughout this story is friendship and it teaches readers that although it may be difficult friendship is important and we shouldn't judge anyone before we know them. I also believe that the author had a well-written structure and plot throughout the book. I feel as though there was a good pace to the climax and finishing of each chapter and the overall plot and I couldn't put it down. I would recommend this book to many young readers who need something new to pick up. ( )
  scigna1 | Mar 14, 2018 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bliss, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Tracey and Beck because they listened first
My Name is India Opal Buloni, last summer my daddy, the preacher, sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some white rice, and two tomatoes and I came back with a dog.
“…But in the meantime, you got to remember, you can’t always judge people by the things they done. You got to judge them by what they are doing now.”
“What truth?” I asked her.

“Why, that war is hell,” Miss Franny said with her eyes still closed. “Pure hell.”

Hell is a cuss word,” said Amanda. I stole a look at her. Her face was pinched up even more than usual.

War,” said Miss Franny with her eyes still closed, “should be a cuss word, too.”
I didn’t go to sleep right away. I lay there and thought how life was like a Littmus Lozenge, how the sweet and the sad were all mixed up together and how hard it was to separate them out. It was confusing.
“There ain’t no way you can hold on to something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it.”
Thinking about her was the same as the hole you keep on feeling with your tongue after you lose a tooth.

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate Dicamillio is mostly about friendship and compassion. Opal is close to being a preteen girl living with her father. She takes in this uncared for dog who changes her life forever. She meets unusaul people who become her best friends in life.She is soon to find that one little thunder storm will change her outlook on life.-Autumn Taylor

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763616052, Paperback)

Because of Winn-Dixie, a big, ugly, happy dog, 10-year-old Opal learns 10 things about her long-gone mother from her preacher father. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal makes new friends among the somewhat unusual residents of her new hometown, Naomi, Florida. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal begins to find her place in the world and let go of some of the sadness left by her mother's abandonment seven years earlier.

With her newly adopted, goofy pooch at her side, Opal explores her bittersweet world and learns to listen to other people's lives. This warm and winning book hosts an unforgettable cast of characters, including a librarian who fought off a bear with a copy of War and Peace, an ex-con pet-store clerk who plays sweet music to his animal charges, and the neighborhood "witch," a nearly blind woman who sees with her heart. Part Frankie (The Member of the Wedding), part Scout (To Kill a Mockingbird), Opal brings her own unique and wonderful voice to a story of friendship, loneliness, and acceptance. Opal's down-home charm and dead-on honesty will earn her friends and fans far beyond the confines of Naomi, Florida. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old India Opal Buloni describes her first summer in the town of Naomi, Florida, and all the good things that happen to her because of her big ugly dog Winn-Dixie.

Candlewick Press

6 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763607762, 0763625582, 0763625574, 0763644323, 0763651850, 0763650072

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,536,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible