Gracias a Winn-Dixie / Because of Winn-Dixie…

Gracias a Winn-Dixie / Because of Winn-Dixie (Noguer Infantil) (Spanish… (edition 2010)

by Kate DiCamillo (Author)

Ten-year-old India Opal Buloni describes her first summer in the town of Naomi, Florida, and all the good things that happen to her because of her big ugly dog Winn-Dixie.
Member:LauranClaunch
Title:Gracias a Winn-Dixie / Because of Winn-Dixie (Noguer Infantil) (Spanish Edition)
Authors:Kate DiCamillo (Author)
Info:Noguer Ediciones (2010), Edition: 1ª ed., 1ª imp., 152 pages

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

English (518)  Japanese (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (521)
Ever since hearing about the movie, I had this story pegged as a sappy tear-jerker, pretty much just based on the trailer, and thus have never had much interest in either movie or book. I picked it up because I thought my 7yo daughter might like a sweet story with a dog as a main character, and prepared to withstand the onslaught of sap.

Turns out this is a pretty great book. Yeah, it’s sticky sweet at times, but there’s a lot in here about relationships and sadness and looking deeper at people and why they do what they do. I know you don’t usually pick up on those types of themes reading books as a kid, but even just the exposure to them is bound to do a kid good. It’s a quick, easy read, and a very enjoyable one. ( )
  Annrosenzweig | Oct 15, 2021 |
I loved the movie and I used to have a dog myself. I had my dog for thirteen years and I miss him terribly. Anyway being able to read this book reminded me of the many happy times the two of us had together and it's a reminder that an animal in this case a dog can bring together the strangest of people and remind us to love one another. ( )
  J_sweeeney26 | Aug 5, 2021 |
(Review by Zoe, aged 6.) It's a really cute and nice book. I think dog-lovers would really like it. I think it's smart that Winn-Dixie the dog can smile, and it's nice of Opal that she helped the dog by saying 'It's my dog' even though it wasn't. You could have lots of ways of connecting with the characters in this book. It's nice how Opal made friends with lots of older people. ( )
  santropol | Aug 2, 2021 |
This is a great story. A young girl named Opal goes to the grocery store but comes home with a dog. It’s because of Winn-Dixie that Opal begins to make friends. And it’s because of Winn-Dixie that she finally dares to ask her father about her mother, who left when Opal was three. In fact, as Opal admits, just about everything that happens that summer is because of Winn-Dixie. This is a great book about friendship and relationships.
  jessicamusgrave | Jul 18, 2021 |
This true to life story is simply relatable for upper elementary grade students. It teaches children that there is more to people than just the way they look. And that we should not judge others. ( )
  jrhoover | Jul 10, 2021 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bliss, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, CherryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Tracey and Beck because they listened first
My Name is India Opal Buloni, last summer my daddy, the preacher, sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some white rice, and two tomatoes and I came back with a dog.
“…But in the meantime, you got to remember, you can’t always judge people by the things they done. You got to judge them by what they are doing now.”
“What truth?” I asked her.

“Why, that war is hell,” Miss Franny said with her eyes still closed. “Pure hell.”

Hell is a cuss word,” said Amanda. I stole a look at her. Her face was pinched up even more than usual.

War,” said Miss Franny with her eyes still closed, “should be a cuss word, too.”
I didn’t go to sleep right away. I lay there and thought how life was like a Littmus Lozenge, how the sweet and the sad were all mixed up together and how hard it was to separate them out. It was confusing.
“There ain’t no way you can hold on to something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it.”
Thinking about her was the same as the hole you keep on feeling with your tongue after you lose a tooth.

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate Dicamillio is mostly about friendship and compassion. Opal is close to being a preteen girl living with her father. She takes in this uncared for dog who changes her life forever. She meets unusaul people who become her best friends in life.She is soon to find that one little thunder storm will change her outlook on life.-Autumn Taylor

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,485,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible