The Vagrant

by Peter Newman

Series: Vagrant (1)

3201561,961 (3.57)9
The Vagrant is his name. He has no other.Years have passed since humanity's destruction emerged from the Breach.Friendless and alone he walks across a desolate, war-torn landscape.As each day passes the world tumbles further into depravity, bent and twisted by the new order, corrupted by the Usurper, the enemy, and his infernal horde.His purpose is to reach the Shining City, last bastion of the human race, and deliver the only weapon that may make a difference in the ongoing war.What little hope remains is dying. Abandoned by its leader, The Seven, and its heroes, The Seraph Knights, the last defences of a once great civilisation are crumbling into dust.But the Shining City is far away and the world is a very dangerous place.… (more)

The Vagrant
By: Peter Newman
Narrated by: Jot Davies

This is a science fiction and fantasy book combined. I don't even know how to review this book because it is so different. I really liked it a lot because it was unique. There was no inner thought dialogue going on from the main character and the main character wouldn't or couldn't speak so the only progression of the story was from the action going on around him and dialogue from others. There is some flashback scenes to show the vagrant before the present time.

The main character was The Vagrant of the story. A guy on a mission and nothing was going to get in his way. He had a sword, a special sword of power that was feared and few dared to touch but wanted. He also was caring for an infant. The reader slowly finds out how he got the baby and the sword. He also has a goat to feed the baby milk.

The world building is awesome! There is talk of a space craft crash landing, people scavenging parts. But then a taint came upon the people. Unsure if it's related. But it seems there came some plague, there are monsters, and people that are using cybernetics and body parts. That part seemed fuzzy to me. But the city was not lacking. Chips in their brains, flying ships.

It was a trek that encountered many people, things, creatures, and situations. The vagrant is a Knight so he is bound to help where he can. It's a very enthralling read. I know you must be wondering how interesting can a man, a baby, and a goat be but it is an epic journey!

There are many memorable characters in here. Hammer and the goat are my two favorites. Hammer is a giant monster of a creature like a Big Foot. The goat because of her attitude!

Lots of action, emotions, imagination, and wonder in here! It's not for everyone. But I enjoyed the unique style.

The narrator was new to me and I found he was absolutely marvelous! A man of many voices! A baby...check! A monster...check! Men, women, creatures, anything... Perfectly... Check!!! ( )
  MontzaleeW | Apr 16, 2021 |
After finishing this book, I thought for a bit and concluded that there was really no part of the book I disliked. Hence the 5 star rating.

This book does dystopian right. I am generally sceptical of this sub-genre but the author put beautifully written characters in a very well imagined world and introduced a couple of plot elements to set it apart from the stock dark dystopian book.

The worldbuilding is excellent. The author does a really good job mapping out the devastated world and its various features in a plausible manner. The writing quality is good, though I have read better.

What makes this book stand out are the characters. The Vagrant - the primary protagonist who never talks. A baby - doing baby stuff, in a very effective way. A goat. Being a very stubborn goat. It is in the interaction of these disparate and unconventional elements and the author's stellar ability to move along by description the plot that sets this book apart. ( )
  Andorion | Feb 6, 2021 |
starts slow, a bit confusing for a bit, but fun conclusion. Gotta say the goat is the best part ( )
  morgan.goose | Dec 14, 2020 |
I wouldn't say this was an endlessly engaging book about a mute, a baby and a goat, but the quality of the writing was such that I was lost in evocation, the magical spell of the text.

I was slightly worried that this might have turned into a paint-by-numbers fantasy with a clever mute with a baby and a goat twist, but no, it actually became a flowing, even lyrical quest of redemption and slow reveals percolating from the past.

I mean, demon hoards and intelligent singing swords are pretty awesome in any text, so I was pretty much all-in from that standpoint, but I think it became something special by the necessity of keeping the MC silent. From a writing standpoint, I was fascinated. All dialogue was carried by incidentals and sidekicks and the demons, strangely enough, and I was pretty well amazed by how much story was carried by the economical prose and the strong imagery.

When it comes to plot, it's pretty simple, but that doesn't really matter when the writing is this strong. I mean, hello, a knight on a quest of redeeming himself is chased by hoards of demons while occasionally dispatching them with the help of a Great Weapon, picking up hoards of refugees along the way and doing various Good Deeds. Of course, a good paladin stuck changing diapers and rescuing a goat is rather odd, especially when he never says a word, but my lord, it's pretty wild to see a novel pull it off, and do it well! :)

This one is going in a personal organizational pile of Notable Works, giving me a warm feeling of accomplishment not for having read it, because it was an effortless read, but for the fact that it was written at all, and it was very enjoyable. :)
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

To Em,

for lighting the way
Starlight gives way to bolder neon.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,878,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible