After You: A Novel by Jojo Moyes

After You: A Novel (original 2015; edition 2016)

by Jojo Moyes (Author)

Series: Me Before You (2)

Louisa Clark is no longer just an ordinary girl living an ordinary life. After the transformative six months spent with Will Traynor, she is struggling without him. When an extraordinary accident forces Lou to return home to her family, she can't help but feel she's right back where she started. Her body heals, but Lou herself knows that she needs to be kick-started back to life. Which is how she ends up in a church basement with the members of the Moving On support group, who share insights, laughter, frustrations, and terrible cookies. They will also lead her to the strong, capable Sam Fielding -- the paramedic whose business is life and death, and the one man who might be able to understand her. Then a figure from Will's past appears and hijacks all her plans, propelling her into a very different future.… (more)
Member:tellen81
Title:After You: A Novel
Authors:Jojo Moyes (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2016), Edition: Reprint, 400 pages
Rating:*****

After You by Jojo Moyes (2015)

English (142)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (150)
It was meh for me nothing special really! ( )
  Islandmum84 | Jul 28, 2021 |
This book reminds me of the internet meme: "Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions." ( )
  MuggleBorn930 | Jul 11, 2021 |
Trigger Warnings: Mild sex, mild language.

Hey, a solid four for a contemporary! That's a first. I guess I like adult contemporary romances more than YA because they're more realistic. I don't have much to say about this book, but I enjoyed it as I did Me Before You. I liked the twists and the plot. It moved at a good pace and it was nice to see what happened next. Plus the European setting is great. I love 'far away' books and the feeling you get reading about the different settings and social norms. ( )
  afrozenbookparadise | Apr 22, 2021 |
3.5* - Listened to this on audiobook... I read the first book in this duology which may be why some of my feelings of this book are so different from the first book - which I gave 5 stars.
I love Me Before You and didn't feel the same kind of love for the sequel After You. Lou felt scraped raw (which is definitely true after feeling the loss of Will at the end of Me Before You), however, there's something I can't quite put my finger on that made Lou feel a little different and not entirely in a good way. This book didn't have the brief moments of comic relief that Lou brought into the first book. She didn't say and do things that I found hilarious and which lightened the mood like in the first book. There were parts of the plot which felt rushed and undeveloped which I didn't really feel in the first book.

I enjoyed the cast of new characters (and the reappearance of the Clark family) in this book. I like Lou's new love interest and could feel why Lou didn't feel like she should fully invest herself in a new relationship quite yet. I also enjoyed the character of Lily and felt that Jojo Moyes did a good job of capturing what a teenager is really like. The crazy moodiness and ups and downs of what teenagers are like was spot on. I felt the infuriating feelings Lou got when Lily did and said things (as a high school teacher I feel the same things all the time!) and felt the same vibe of "am I doing the right thing" that I feel almost daily with my high schoolers which Lou felt frequently with Lily living on and off with her.

One of the things that I couldn't get over was the little bits of climax that happen throughout this book. Moyes does a good job of making this book complex with more than one plot line running through it... however, each of those plot lines have their own climax and I found each of their climax moments a little over the top. The plot of Lily becoming her own person and figuring out herself comes to a ridiculous head and it almost felt like Moyes didn't know where she wanted the story to go with her and so decided to throw in this crazy happening which required the story to derail from the POV it follows throughout Me Before You AND After You for one brief chapter. This felt uncharacteristic of the book(s) and like the author didn't know what they wanted to do and so threw this in because, hey! it would spice things up and add some crazy interest. Also, the climax of the plot line of Lou and her new love interest felt over the top as well. I'm not going to spoil anything, but did there really need to be life or death situation thrown in there? I think there could have been a way to make the climax between them just as impactful without the daytime soap tv kind of drama. These two different climax moments in the book made me feel like I needed to suspend my disbelief and while both things couldn't definitely happen and I'm sure happen more frequently than I know, both things in one books were a little difficult to swallow.

Overall, I liked After You and was happy to see the kind of ending that it got but feel like it was a little weak on the part of the author. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
a good follow up to "Me Before You". Seeing how Louisa deals with loss, how her family and Will's family are coping. ( )
  Cookie1975 | Feb 17, 2021 |

Jojo Moyesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Acton, AnnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fell, KarolinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Betty McKee
The big man at the end of the bar is sweating.
"Du hast mir kein verdammtes Leben übrig gelassen, oder? Von wegen. Du hast einfach nur mein altes Leben kaputt gemacht. Es in einen Scherbenhaufen verwandelt. Was soll ich jetzt mit den ganzen Bruchstücken anfangen? Wann wird es endlich..." Ich streckte die Arme aus, bekommen Gänsehaut in der kühlen Nachtluft und merke, dass ich wieder einmal weine. "Fuck you, Will", flüstere ich. "Fuck you dafür, dass du mich verlassen hast." (S. 18/19)
Allow yourself moments of happiness.
You never know what will happen when you fall from a great height.
You don't have to let that one thing be the thing that defines you.

The sequel to the worldwide phenomenon Me Before You. Lou Clark has lots of questions. Like how it is she's ended up working in an airport bar, spending every shift watching other people jet off to new places. Or why the flat she's owned for a year still doesn't feel like home. Whether her close-knit family can forgive her for what she did eighteen months ago. And will she ever get over the love of her life. What Lou does know for certain is that something has to change. Then, one night, it does. But does the stranger on her doorstep hold the answers Lou is searching for - or just more questions? Close the door and life continues: simple, ordered, safe. Open it and she risks everything. But Lou once made a promise to live. And if she's going to keep it, she has to invite them in...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,565,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible