HomeGroupsTalkExplore

After you a novel by Jojo Moyes

After you a novel (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Jojo Moyes, Jojo Moyes

Series: Me Before You (2)

From the New York Times bestselling author of The Giver of Stars, discover the love story that captured over 20 million hearts in Me Before You, After You, and Still Me. "You're going to feel uncomfortable in your new world for a bit. But I hope you feel a bit exhilarated too. Live boldly. Push yourself. Don't settle. Just live well. Just live. Love, Will."   How do you move on after losing the person you loved? How do you build a life worth living?   Louisa Clark is no longer just an ordinary girl living an ordinary life. After the transformative six months spent with Will Traynor, she is struggling without him. When an extraordinary accident forces Lou to return home to her family, she can't help but feel she's right back where she started.   Her body heals, but Lou herself knows that she needs to be kick-started back to life. Which is how she ends up in a church basement with the members of the Moving On support group, who share insights, laughter, frustrations, and terrible cookies. They will also lead her to the strong, capable Sam Fielding--the paramedic, whose business is life and death, and the one man who might be able to understand her. Then a figure from Will's past appears and hijacks all her plans, propelling her into a very different future. . . .   For Lou Clark, life after Will Traynor means learning to fall in love again, with all the risks that brings. But here Jojo Moyes gives us two families, as real as our own, whose joys and sorrows will touch you deeply, and where both changes and surprises await.… (more)
Member:sarahgee30
Title:After you a novel
Authors:Jojo Moyes
Other authors:Jojo Moyes
Info:[New York] : Penguin Audio, 2015.

Work Information

After You by Jojo Moyes (2015)

English (149)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (157)
This was a solid story but I really expected to love it as much as Me Before You and I did not. I still love Lou though. ( )
  TRBurns76 | Dec 27, 2022 |
I got about 100 pages into this book and quit. Clearly telegraphed ending and irritating and cheap "plot twist" leave little to recommend. Me Before You was great as a standalone novel--no Hollywood sequel required. ( )
  eringill | Dec 25, 2022 |
Just....meh. I love the first book. Actually cried on a plane reading the ending. This one just didn’t hold a candle to that story. It felt a bit disjointed and all over the place. Maybe it was supposed to “feel” like that since Louisa’s life is pretty much disjointed and all over the place. Hopefully the 3rd book in the series will be better. ( )
  Jen-Lynn | Aug 1, 2022 |
Jojo Moyes has written at the beginning of this book that she doesn't want anyone writing a review to spoil what happens in Me Before you, the first book in the series. And, I fully understand that. So that left me with a choice to either write a review that more or less didn't bring up anything that happens in this book that could spoil the first book or spoiler tag the whole review. I have chosen to write a review that doesn't spoil the book.

First of all, do I want to say that you need to read the first book; do not attempt to read this book without having read the first book. Some books are standalone, some aren't.   This one should without a doubt be read after Me Before you.

The book is wonderful. I had no idea about the story before I read the book. No clues about what would happen and that was a real treat not knowing how or if Moyes would be able to write a book as gripping as Me Before You. She has! I had to fight back tears several times when I read this book, and I pride myself on not being a crier. Lou Clark is such a wonderful character and I loved getting to read about her and her family and friends in another book.

I loved this book. It was such a treat to get a sequel to Me Before You. And, I hope for a third book!

I received this copy from the publisher through NetGalley in return for an honest review! Thank you

************************************

Update 3/9 2015: Approved! I'm amazed, not only that I got the book from NetGalley, but also that it only took a day or two to get approved...

--------------------------------------------

Jojo Moyes After You is now on NetGalley

But you can't request the title yet...

So now I have to wait for it to be available to request...

MaraBlaise | Jul 23, 2022 |
I really liked this book. The dynamics of the family are great and it explains things that happened in the first book in a way that isn't tedious. ( )
  Sunandsand | Apr 30, 2022 |

Jojo Moyesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Acton, AnnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fell, KarolinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vries, Willemijn deNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Betty McKee
The big man at the end of the bar is sweating.
"Du hast mir kein verdammtes Leben übrig gelassen, oder? Von wegen. Du hast einfach nur mein altes Leben kaputt gemacht. Es in einen Scherbenhaufen verwandelt. Was soll ich jetzt mit den ganzen Bruchstücken anfangen? Wann wird es endlich..." Ich streckte die Arme aus, bekommen Gänsehaut in der kühlen Nachtluft und merke, dass ich wieder einmal weine. "Fuck you, Will", flüstere ich. "Fuck you dafür, dass du mich verlassen hast." (S. 18/19)
Allow yourself moments of happiness.
You never know what will happen when you fall from a great height.
You don't have to let that one thing be the thing that defines you.

The sequel to the worldwide phenomenon Me Before You. Lou Clark has lots of questions. Like how it is she's ended up working in an airport bar, spending every shift watching other people jet off to new places. Or why the flat she's owned for a year still doesn't feel like home. Whether her close-knit family can forgive her for what she did eighteen months ago. And will she ever get over the love of her life. What Lou does know for certain is that something has to change. Then, one night, it does. But does the stranger on her doorstep hold the answers Lou is searching for - or just more questions? Close the door and life continues: simple, ordered, safe. Open it and she risks everything. But Lou once made a promise to live. And if she's going to keep it, she has to invite them in...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,893,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible