The War Against the Assholes

by Sam Munson

Contemporary fantasy meets true crime when schools of ancient sorcery go up against the art of the long con in this stunningly entertaining debut fantasy novel. Mike Wood is satisfied just being a guy with broad shoulders at a decidedly unprestigious Catholic school in Manhattan. But on the dirty streets of New York City he's an everyman with a moral code who is unafraid of violence. And when Mike is unwittingly recruited into a secret cell of magicians by a fellow student, Mike's role as a steadfast soldier begins. These magicians don't use ritualized rote to work their magic, they use willpower in their clandestine war with the establishment: The Assholes.… (more)

I liked the concept of this book. I liked the descriptions, the inner voice of the main character. I just wish I knew what the hell was going on in it. To me it reads as if the author had an extremely short attention span or was hoping the reader had. Descriptions of scenes involving the characters would just change to completely different scenes with out any rhyme or reason. It's almost as if the author wrote a paragraph, got distracted and then came back many hours later, having forgot what he had written, and continued on.

I wanted to like this book. (Strangely part of me still does). I just find the constant jumping about of the characters with out any attempt at linking scenes together, hard to follow. The plot is so hazy. I often re-read chapters because I thought I had some how skipped over a number of paragraphs and lost the storyline. Not so.

Read this book if you wish. Just be prepared to be confused and wondering why some extra time couldn't have been spent shaping a really good concept into a better story. ( )
  Arkrayder | Feb 14, 2016 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,359,775 books! | Top bar: Always visible